• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soldering basics guide

zlab

Fantastic that you're putting in all this effort @zlab to help show others some soldering techniques. 

Regarding jigs something very easy that I use is a small block of wood.

This is good for two reasons because firstly the wood doesn't draw heat from what you're soldering which is a problem when using anything metal and secondly it's good because you can drill holes in the wood to suit the type/size of connectors. 

Look forward to reading more. 👍

• Thanks 1

Incredible post mate.

Actually made me feel a bit better about the way I have been doing things, as I often doubt my techniques when I see people give tutorials that show all these different ways.

I learned from the pros, I really shouldn't have in hindsight.

Definitely take a few things away from the lessons here and will save this as a solid reference for the future.

Edit - The Hakko 888 is a great high quality low cost station with temp control. Very comfortable iron.

Just watch out for fakes on eBay!

The standard tip is a bit pants for RC connectors but they're easy to change and only a few quid.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Zlab, excellent advice  - I've not need to solder since the  last century, its nice to see some advice  that didn't start and end with buy a 1000W soldering sation from Hakko.

Now to melt my way through several XT connectors till I master things 🔥

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
23 hours ago, robertmurr said:

Hi, what can you say about these Butane irons, is it a good choice if you need to solder wires without access to electricity, or is it better to take a battery?

Hi  i use a solderpro 120  and it can do XT90 plugs easily   never had any problems

• 2 weeks later...

Already said, but I'll echo it, leaded solder with a good flux core *really* makes a huge difference. Going from all sorts of non-leaded random solder to some branded Loctite leaded solder is a wholly different experience altogether. 

• Like 1