• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Corally 1/10th Moxoo and Mammoth Review

Nick

1.jpg

Hands on review of the Corally Mammoth 1/10th 2wd Monster Truck RTR and Corally Moxoo 1/10th 2wd Desert Racer RTR

Upon opening the box, you could see these were well thought out models, which was a welcome surprise considering the brushless version will only set you back about £200.

Corally might be new to the game when it comes to these style of fun, bash about models but the Belgium company has been around since 1984, making some of the highest spec gear in the R/C racing scene. They know their stuff and it shows.

The Mammoth and Moxoo are on the same chassis but there are some minor differences. Lets go over the looks,

The Mammoth is the 1/10th Monster Truck, featuring a cabin roll bar and wide front and rear bumpers. The shell is much more dominant and has a wider looking stance.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The Moxoo, is the 1/10th Desert Racer. Large cut out wheel arches, a full roll cage (with lightpods to fit LEDs!), short front bumper - and a rear wheelie bar. Then to complete the scale look a driver and co-driver. It looks so much fun and convincingly life like when thrashing it around.

4.jpg

5.jpg

The chassis feature adjustable shock which are well balanced, body mounts (which allow the shells to be easily interchangeable), steel turnbuckles, strong HiCC8 composite plastic, that is also found on their bigger models and the best part, a full metal gear transmission (no stripped gears here on your first outing!).

The design of the chassis has a basher in mind, the bulk is only where you want it, thick suspension arms, extra thick suspension pin holders and in the places that matter most when you hit a lamp post at full speed. The full metal gear transmission also allows you to do what you want when it comes to the throttle, the power will be put down without the awful whirring of a stripped plastic gear!

6.jpg

20191215_122205.jpg

20191215_122325.jpg

Time to go get these dirty. Straight from the box, the Mammoth was equipped with their Brushless Kuron, 3500kv 4-pole motor with my own 2s 5000mAh Lipo and the Moxoo was running their Speed-X 550 15t Brushed Motor with a 7.2v NIMH. These setups are available in both models.

It was fun to run these side by side, it's been a while since I’ve used a brushed model and it went quite well, there was some elegance with the Moxoo Desert Racer at a steady speed, especially in the tighter areas, it handled it well.

Still no match for brushless though, I wish I had a 3s Lipo with me, which is what both the brushed (yes, brushed on 3s!) and the Kuron B/L setup is capable of. The Mammoth had plenty of torque and a great pace, I was thirsty for more.

3500kv is a good middle point in 1/10th models, you have the speed, the torque and also the run time. It’s easy to get tempted for higher kv ratings but I always found myself going back to something more reliable with my other models. It’s the perfect choice by Corally.

Wheelies were plenty in the Mammoth, despite the Moxoo having a wheelie bar, it struggled to get the front end up in the wet grass on the brushed setup. On the damp concrete, both had lots of time going sideways as the rear powered wheels kicked the back end, I got a little carried away doing donuts and attempting to soak spectators with the rooster tail of water!

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Overall, there’s not much bad to say about these, for the price they are an excellent model and if you can afford the brushless, it is absolutely worth it.

To find out where to purchase these models, go here:

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/model-shop-finder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 09/01/2020 at 20:09, Nick said:

...and the best part, a full metal gear transmission (no stripped gears here on your first outing!).

The FTX range use metal for their transmission gears and they're rubbish because they use cheap monkey/pot metal. This combined with sloppy, imprecise fittings, even with shimming means teeth get chipped very easily. Are there any more details as to why this metal transmission is good as just saying "it's full metal" certainly is not a guarantee of a durable drive train.

Also, this could be the best truck in the world, but what are the anticipated parts support likely to be? Modelsport seem to show a good stock level now but is this likely to be sustained. Are Corally a company that will generally stick by a certain model or do they have a high turnover of new models, quickly dropping support of older ones?

Edited by Nickarla

10 hours ago, Nickarla said:

The FTX range use metal for their transmission gears and they're rubbish because they use cheap monkey/pot metal. This combined with sloppy, imprecise fittings, even with shimming means teeth get chipped very easily. Are there any more details as to why this metal transmission is good as just saying "it's full metal" certainly is not a guarantee of a durable drive train.

Also, this could be the best truck in the world, but what are the anticipated parts support likely to be? Modelsport seem to show a good stock level now but is this likely to be sustained. Are Corally a company that will generally stick by a certain model or do they have a high turnover of new models, quickly dropping support of older ones?

There is no "bullet proof" drivetrain out there so it can't be guaranteed, Corally have a reputation for good quality parts, which will hold out better than your typical plastic (or metal) gears found in some entry level kits. I haven't tested it more than what the recommended setup is, so I couldn't tell you how these will hold out on a more powerful setup. I encountered no problems like you described FTX range to have.

Corally has a fantastic reputation in the racing scene but hasn't the footprint of most well known model manufacturers, they are giving this current range a good push so hopefully we will see more of them. They are distributed by CML who are reliable when it comes to the stock and supply of parts.

Better than an FTX? Certainly debatable, they are also great models at the price. I do love the look of the Moxoo, so that pulls me.

Thanks for you comments. :good:

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. When you say its debatable whether it's better than an FTX are you saying that it is not as big a difference so as to be clear and obvious? I was hoping that this would be a big step up in durability over the FTX range.

10 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Thanks for the reply. When you say its debatable whether it's better than an FTX are you saying that it is not as big a difference so as to be clear and obvious? I was hoping that this would be a big step up in durability over the FTX range.

FTX have a few more model variations, hopups and generally better spares availability at the moment, it's maybe a "safer" purchase for accesibility but the Corally I find better quality and more suited for someone who is a little more of an enthusiast. Corally are trying to push these models and I hope they get the attention they deserve and become more main stream.

I've not had an FTX for ages so cant give a fair side by side comparison.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Mammoth/Moxoo are a bit longer, i think thats the main difference.

I'm looking to pickup a Mammoth - fromt what i've ready its pretty decent, and durable too. Looks like the spur/pinion are enclosed, has sealed bearings as standard, oil filled diff etc - looks nice. I also have an FTX Carnage so will be able to give a decent side by side comparison.

Hopefully the Mammoth wont strip spurs like my Carnage does :)

My daughter has the Triton and did have the Carnage before I sold it. The Triton feels more robust so I feel happier bashing and crashing. The Carnage feels the better drive. It is more positive when steering. Whether the longer wheelbases Mammoth steers better I don’t know, but I expect it would be a slight improvement.

• Like 1

...and yes, the Mammoth is the same except for the longer wheelbase.
one thing that I am concerned about is the sloppy fit of the spur gear. It ends up being quite elliptic as the diameter of the spur gear is noticeably larger than the diameter of the shaft of sits on so goes of centre easily. This can make meshing a bit of a pain and you end up with some teeth with quite a tight mesh and others with a loose one.

Yes please do have a look. It might be fitted fairly centrally. I took everything apart when I got mine to check the parts, stripped threads etc. I was quite impressed with what I saw...except for the spur fit when I tried putting it back together.

First impressions of the mammoth are good!

Alongside the FTX Carnage, the mammoth has longer wheelbase, a bit wider. Wheels are slightly narrower but also larger diameter.  

Chassis setup is pretty nice, little box for the receiver to sit in, esc is mounted on top of that with a little cage to clamp it down. Chassis and arms look beefy and strong - there is now chassis flex like with the carnage. 

Let my 3 year old loose with it and he had a blast jumping it and bashing about. 

One obvious negative - the servo saver is gash, looser than loose. At least its mounted on the servo itself so should be easy to swap out. 

Other than that I like it a lot, once the servo saver is sorted I think its going to be great. 

Things ill do tonight - swap the saver, swap the esc for a hobbywing 1060, and swap the motor for a 12t 550. This is then the same motor and esc combo I have in the carnage so will be able to compare it almost like for like ( carnage has been running 2 wheel drive recently as I bent a front cvd..) 

Will also give it a full strip to check it all out but straight out of the box everything was tight and no trim needed to make it run straight. 

• Like 1

Update on the Mammoth.

So far so good still, not broken anything yet. Closest i've managed is to crack one of the wheels, and in the Mammoths defense i let my boy loose with it in an area with some pretty large rocks!

Swapped out the servo saver for something with a bit more resistance in it and its a million times better - turns lovely now.

Had some fun with the 12t 550 - shaft was too long to fit under the spur / pinion cover so i had to take a dremel to it. Its much faster now but i dont think that 12t has enough torque as it gets really really hot. I have some more 32dp pinions on the way so will have a play.

Not really noticed much amiss with the spur / pinion mesh, seems pretty even all round on mine. I did notice the pinion has a little sleeve in it so i assume they have just used 5mm pinions and a sleeve to bring it down to 3.2 - maybe its this causing the issues?

Much prefer it to the Carnage to be honest, even if it is significantly bigger!

Next up is a cheapo goolrc brushless system to fit!

• Like 1

I used a Fasttrax alu saver, part FTAR012BK. Someone had posted a review on modelsport and mentioned using this one. To be honest i think anything would have worked and been better! I also see on Corally's website they do a bunch of different ones, made by Kimbrough and also list one in the "Tuning Parts" list with a different part number to the stock one, so i suspect any of those ones would be stronger too.

Is your Triton the stock brushless Corally gear? They all look pretty mental with brushless!

yep it is  and yep they are lol

once i persuade front wheels to be on ground i could do with it not turning like a bathtub 🤣

thing is prob would never have got it if my son hadnt taken a punt on the brushed 1 i am really impressed with the quality and bashing proofness of it 🍻

• Like 1

So i got a cheapo goolrc combo to stick in the Mammoth - 60amp esc+ 4300kv 4 pole. With the goolrc esc there was so much cogging it wouldnt even pull away, if you gave it a push it flew once it got going though.. I ended up going massively overspec and put in a hobbywing max10 sct (120a) esc. Much better now, very very little cogging at all from a standing start, and its now mental fast even on 2s.

Just need to sort the gearing, which is something i know naff all about. Stock brushed pinion is a 13T. With the brushless setup, the motor gets a little warm, but is still touchable. How can i tell if im over geared or under geared? I have an 11T, 14T and 15T pinions. Am i best off trying the 11T first? I think the stock brushless mammoth runs with a 13T pinion, but thats a 3500kv motor. I'm guessing that at 4300kv, i want to go smaller rather than bigger on the pinion as the 4300kv will have less torque?

• Haha 1

Another update with the old Mammoth!

The goolrc 4300kv runs very hot, even gearing it down to 11T (dont have any smaller pinoins). Despite it being very rapid and pulling wheelies all over the place, i think its just too high a kv rating for the Mammoth (perhaps a more respected brand at similar kv might be better and run cooler).

So i ended up sticking in a hobbywing 3652 3300kv. Back with stock gearing (13T pinion) and the motor barely gets warm, and of course the Mammoth is rapid. I think i can easily go up a tooth or two to get more top end out of it, seems like the motor is hardly working with the 13T, at least on 2s anyway, i dont have any 3s packs at the moment.

Also, the non corally pinions seem to be a better fit - the gear meshing seems more even all round - i put this down to the little sleeve in the corally pinion which must be making it sit slightly off central.

My only problem now is that its too fast for my little boy, so i need to put in my radio link receiver and setup a model on the tx with drastically lowered throttle end points / exp :) Still thats a nice problem to have now.

• Like 2

Hi there I ve just got myself a mammoth XP  an I love it !!! Was interested in sgtstress saying he putting his Rx in I have a sanwa I want to put in as I feel the standard tx us a bit simple(although pretty good for a rtr) how do you get to the Rx?  Also I have the corally upgraded servo on order as the steering is shocking I'll update how I get on with that 😁

my son and i have the Triton similar to mammoth and we changed the servo saver to this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-servo-saver/rc-car-products/21418

quite a diferance in steering 

you shouldnt need to change the servo tho 🍻

• Like 1

Damn just looked back at my reply lol  servo saver my bad !!! 🥴 Any idea how to get to receiver to change it out?! Thanks

• Haha 1