• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

Interesting, Rich is ramping his hard and no major issues. Bicketybam wasn't getting anywhere near as much air, but was having rod-ends pushed through, the shafts were splitting the plastic apart! What gives?

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Interesting, Rich is ramping his hard and no major issues. Bicketybam wasn't getting anywhere near as much air, but was having rod-ends pushed through, the shafts were splitting the plastic apart! What gives?

If you call bending the chassis "no major issue", then yeah, he didn't have any major issues lol.

edit: indeed he seems to have bent it twice: once while getting it out the first time, and the second time in this one:

Bent the top brace too. Though i gotta admit, i do find it a little dishonest to not mention either bend in his videos, especially if it's called "durability test". 

That said: of course it would bend. He drives the fricking wheels off of that thing. He mentioned something pretty good, but also pretty arse as well: the pinion apparently is somewhat proprietary in the way it's manufactured. He did switch the pinion, but he wasn't sure if it'd hold (the original pinion apparently has a "D-shaped" slot, not a round one - which of course is good, if it's strictly optional). It's also secured with a C-clip, so i suppose it's fine if you use a pinion with a round slot - though i wouldn't actually take the chances there, if you tighten it properly and stab the throttle a few times, you might score/damage the motor shaft - i'd imagine there's quite some torque on that shaft, pushing like 28lbs forward. 

Edited by m4inbrain

That's the vid I watched, don't recall him mentioning any bending. However, given that much air and chassis-slap landings, I'd expect it to bend. 

With the flat surface of the shaft, standard pinions should fit, just allow the usual curing period before running. Not seen one in person, so can't say for sure. 

Have you watched the Bicketybam vid?

Everyone I’ve seen running and everyone I’ve spoken with that has one so far has bent the chassis. All pretty much say the same thing oh I’d expect it to bend or it’s okay mc2 are making a better one etc etc so most by the look don’t care about it bending 

I suspect Rich and a few others have been asked to play the flexible chassis thing down by the powers that be and only mention it when asked like they did about getting them free which is why I don’t really take what they say as gospel that old saying comes to mind you don’t bite the hand that feeds you ! 

Considering the small amount of owners and and the amount of damage leads me to one conclusion only and that’s not to buy this version and wait for maybe the V2 or V3 or just skip on by unless yo have deep deep pockets and endless bundles of cash stored away 😂😂

Edited by mydoddy69

5 hours ago, Tug said:

That's the vid I watched, don't recall him mentioning any bending. However, given that much air and chassis-slap landings, I'd expect it to bend. 

With the flat surface of the shaft, standard pinions should fit, just allow the usual curing period before running. Not seen one in person, so can't say for sure. 

Have you watched the Bicketybam vid?

No, don't know the Bickety guy, just watch Rich because i generally like him. 

In regards to not recalling him mention anything: it's because he doesn't. But if you look here:

M8LVH8z.jpg

That said: it's a fair explanation, i was tired yesterday and it didn't even occur to me that he might've not immediately seen it. I like Duperbash, and he is correct, he did mention it immediately on the V4 on release. Not gonna accuse him of anything in that regard - he certainly is a bit of a shill, but not for Arrma - for M2C. Since he (i think?) is working with them, that's fair enough.

• Thanks 2

Given the quality of everything else on the truck, I don't think their pricing is offensive. Look at what Traxxas ask for the X-Maxx and what you get with it for that price. Rude!

I'm still out though, too bendy, even for a V1.

I'd take a Mojave, that'd look great with my Senton, Super 5SC Flux and X2!

51 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Not sure we've ever had a 21 page 'news' thread before... and nobody even has one yet!  And I won't be the first... 

Yeah that’s what you get for a bunch of old gossiping women 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Given the quality of everything else on the truck, I don't think their pricing is offensive. Look at what Traxxas ask for the X-Maxx and what you get with it for that price. Rude!

I agree, the pricing for the X-Maxx is a little obscene considering you get only plastic. But here's the thing. It's not more offensive than the Kraton price. The X-Maxx is a plastic bomber, but there's some actual engineering and thought in there (even in regards to ease of maintenance). 

I'm not gonna lie to you, i find the price of the Kraton as offensive. It's a flat plate with stuff bolted on. There's zero engineering/design, to the point where they didn't even care that their centre brace has the rigidity of a wet noodle, and proper engineering tools actually tell you if that's the case (even hometools like fusion 360 have material stress simulations). There's no way this is worth more than an X-Maxx just because it has a flat metal plate. Keep in mind that the rest of the Kraton is plastic as well.

edit: i'm btw not saying that because i'm getting an X-Maxx, because, well, i don't anymore. Pretty sure i'd regret it the second i see someone running a DBXL-E v2, so.. i gotta have that one. Even though the X-Maxx probably would've been the smarter choice, sometimes you gotta buy what you want, not what you need. :D

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

I'm not gonna lie to you, i find the price of the Kraton as offensive. It's a flat plate with stuff bolted on. There's zero engineering/design

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same thing I have said about the FG Marder on more than one occasion, And look what arguments that got me into.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, babylon said:

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same thing I have said about the FG Marder on more than one occasion, And look what arguments that got me into.

That's a petrol thingie, i wouldn't know what arguments that got you into since i have zero interest in that realm of the hobby. I got my fair share of arguments too though, don't worry. Usually only takes a day to be buddies again. 

edit: brief check revealed that it's quite a bit cheaper than a Kraton 8s and X-Maxx (found it for £550 plus i assume around 50 bucks postage, in germany), so in that case i personally wouldn't even mind (and i can't judge it at all, no idea about Baja-like vehicles).

Edited by m4inbrain

Not sure I'd agree on zero engineering, but they had to have known that at that thickness, 6061 wasn't gonna cut it!? 

Where will this go? Nowhere? "Want a fix? Fix it yourself!". Or will Arrma change the chassis? 

6061 T6 would be fine if another mm thicker and will properly thought out bracing. Metal tubes with a single attachment point is not good design.  Even with good bracing and design, materials do have their limits 

I'd argue that a simple reinforcement like on the DBXLe 2 would've done great things. 

It's basically a second (thinner) plate going across the center of the chassis, holed. No idea what the correct description in english would be. This here:

LOS05020T1_a14

Next to the antenna/servo, that's the "bracing plate". Goes all the way to the back etc, couldn't find a disassembled picture showing it entirely (but may be able to take one soon :D)

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

I agree, the pricing for the X-Maxx is a little obscene considering you get only plastic. But here's the thing. It's not more offensive than the Kraton price. The X-Maxx is a plastic bomber, but there's some actual engineering and thought in there (even in regards to ease of maintenance). 

I'm not gonna lie to you, i find the price of the Kraton as offensive. It's a flat plate with stuff bolted on. There's zero engineering/design, to the point where they didn't even care that their centre brace has the rigidity of a wet noodle, and proper engineering tools actually tell you if that's the case (even hometools like fusion 360 have material stress simulations). There's no way this is worth more than an X-Maxx just because it has a flat metal plate. Keep in mind that the rest of the Kraton is plastic as well.

edit: i'm btw not saying that because i'm getting an X-Maxx, because, well, i don't anymore. Pretty sure i'd regret it the second i see someone running a DBXL-E v2, so.. i gotta have that one. Even though the X-Maxx probably would've been the smarter choice, sometimes you gotta buy what you want, not what you need. :D

So you made you mind up the DBxlE 😂. Nice choice fella and I reckon it will be perfect for those sand dunes 👍👍

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

So you made you mind up the DBxlE 😂. Nice choice fella and I reckon it will be perfect for those sand dunes 👍👍

Yeah.. Heart won and wife gave consent.

Sadly, release on MSUK/wheelspin got pushed back 😥

More drama from Arrma even the Australian who I can’t name bent his chassis first time out and to say he is a tad unhappy about it is mild 😂

This was his run not sure if he says anything about in it mind I haven’t watched it but there’s pics over on Facebook of the damage lol