• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best RC Cars for a Youth Club

Martin Froggett

4 hours ago, Martin Froggett said:

Hi all,

I run a youth club and we have aronud £300 to buy 4 electric cars for indoor racing in a sports hall. I imagine they will get a bit of stick and will all be running simultaneously. 

Any recommendations or advice would be greatfully received.

Apologies if there are already threads on this. 

Budget is extremely tight for new.  What size is the projected track / space available? (length x width) 

Personally I'd talk officially to your local hobby store and see what they can do.  They may be willing to take a hit on profit for some advertising and potential new customers (X amount of kids at youth club..... that may be interested and spend at the shop) or just ongoing spares / community giving.  

Stuff like this mayb its small scale but mayb better for small halls. Nippier. Some members here have said good things about the range mayb they could work? 

https://m.banggood.com/Wltoys-A969-Rc-Car-118-2_4Gh-4WD-Short-Course-Truck-p-916962.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=226&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=garman&utm_campaign=ssc-gb-all-0626&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcE-Zy7gFugZnR8l2BcrvjNhr65ZizWT7LLPf62LJLNnXlcTE2AWkIBoCh6sQAvD_BwE

Buggy in uk. Mayb on banggood too cheaper?

https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/very-fast-70km-h-1-18-scale-rtr-4wd-rc-car.html?fee=3&fep=11306&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcI0sIGuPnE3pXV79FSoUGIbLTZHv8BY4_mUp3M0-a7D4l-qzVtqYIBoC6c4QAvD_BwE

I would research them well before deciding wasnt Kevin Talbot singing about the buggy? 

Extra batteries chargers etc might still be needed. 

53 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Stuff like this mayb its small scale but mayb better for small halls. Nippier. Some members here have said good things about the range mayb they could work? 

https://m.banggood.com/Wltoys-A969-Rc-Car-118-2_4Gh-4WD-Short-Course-Truck-p-916962.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=226&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=garman&utm_campaign=ssc-gb-all-0626&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcE-Zy7gFugZnR8l2BcrvjNhr65ZizWT7LLPf62LJLNnXlcTE2AWkIBoCh6sQAvD_BwE

Buggy in uk. Mayb on banggood too cheaper?

https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/very-fast-70km-h-1-18-scale-rtr-4wd-rc-car.html?fee=3&fep=11306&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcI0sIGuPnE3pXV79FSoUGIbLTZHv8BY4_mUp3M0-a7D4l-qzVtqYIBoC6c4QAvD_BwE

I would research them well before deciding wasnt Kevin Talbot singing about the buggy? 

Extra batteries chargers etc might still be needed. 

I second this. wltoys cars can take a hell of a beating cos the plastic is so flexible.

Nitrotek is also a great place to get cheap RCs

19 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Budget is extremely tight for new.  What size is the projected track / space available? (length x width) 

Personally I'd talk officially to your local hobby store and see what they can do.  They may be willing to take a hit on profit for some advertising and potential new customers (X amount of kids at youth club..... that may be interested and spend at the shop) or just ongoing spares / community giving.  

Good idea, I'll see what the local shop can offer in exchange for promotion.

The hall is 18x35m so not huge. 

16 hours ago, fnknan said:

I second this. wltoys cars can take a hell of a beating cos the plastic is so flexible.

Nitrotek is also a great place to get cheap RCs

Thanks all for the advice everyone. The WLToys look great and definitely OK for budget. Only concern is runtime is around 8 minutes according to one site. Anyway around this other than lots of batteries for regular changes?

Having extra shells so they can have their own is a great idea,  I'll look into that. :)

How many can I have running at the same time as I'm assuming you get interferance? Thinking of having but could have 2 and then do more rounds.

You won't get any interference issues - those days are long gone. For runtime, just buy a set of the highest capacity nimh batteries you can buy. Ideally you would run lipos but not on your budget. The cheap esc's and brushed motors will also probably get too hot. Can't beat lipo for energy storage though.

Edited by PH001

10 minutes ago, PH001 said:

You won't get any interference issues - those days are long gone. For runtime, just buy a set of the highest capacity nimh batteries you can buy. Ideally you would run lipos but not on your budget. The cheap esc's and brushed motors will also probably get too hot. Can't beat lipo for energy storage though.

Good news re. interferance.

I'm going to order some WLtoys A979-Bs and some extra batteries. Look really good and more than fast enough to be good fun. Can take them down the beach and build a circuit too.

18 minutes ago, Martin Froggett said:

Good news re. interferance.

I'm going to order some WLtoys A979-Bs and some extra batteries. Look really good and more than fast enough to be good fun. Can take them down the beach and build a circuit too.

If you get the A979s then you'll definitely want to order lipos. That's what comes with the cars and they'll be much slower on the nimhs. Plus the lipos on such a small car like this will only cost you £5-8 for a 1500mah battery which is cheaper than most of the nimhs of that size I could find.

8 minutes ago, fnknan said:

If you get the A979s then you'll definitely want to order lipos. That's what comes with the cars and they'll be much slower on the nimhs. Plus the lipos on such a small car like this will only cost you £5-8 for a 1500mah battery which is cheaper than most of the nimhs of that size I could find.

These look  like they'll do the job and  price is OK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-1500mAh-Rechargeable-Aieplane-Quadcopter/dp/B074XQMF14/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=lipo+battery+for+a979+1500&qid=1568905655&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMFY1T0tHUkc5OVMwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTAyMjE4WkdUR01NVlFXUERMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MTA1MjkzTEpXNTQyNkpSWFdSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==