• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"locked differential"

kwijibo

Following a trail side discussion of what a differential was, my 6yr old son asked if we could unlock the locked differential in our Axial Wraith. Good question. Looking at the manual, there is no differential that I can see.

Are differential gears available as option? I guess not, so wonder why the marketing bumf mentions the term.

My son then went on to suggest that channel 3 of his transmitter could be assigned to lock or unlock the diff... Excellent idea. Need one of those Traxxas jobs then!

Well, page 14 kinda shows the differentials. 

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/422063-how-unlock-axles-my-wraith.html

Here's suggestions how to throw in spider gears to unlock the diffs. I'm not sure you'll get them remotely lockable though, looking at my TRX4. I'd be very surprised. 

There's several differentials for the AR60 axle but you need a differential case and spider gears.  If you do unlock it, get the HPI spider gears. They are better than the stock axial ones for the AR60 axle. PM me so as to remind me and I'll get the part number when I get home. I run unlocked diffs on an AR60 based MT. You won't be able to unlock or lock them on the fly though and they aren't tunable because they aren't sealed. You can pack full of grease but it makes little difference.

So you ideally want  part number HPI 86014 then it's a case of disassembling the axle and taking the locker out of the plastic differential case and putting the HPI spider gears inside the diff casing and reassembling the whole thing. You'll want to out grease in it too.