• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

540 size motor and ESC combo - what’s the best budget ones around these days?

Carpmart

Eh up all... been a while since I was active on here!

im a little out of touch with the scene at the moment, especially Brushless motors and ESC’s and I need a pair of budget (reliable) ESC’s and motors (540) sized to replace a brushed set up in a baitboat.  Also not sure of what KV rating to go for, I have 2s and 3s packs so can be flexible with that aspect.... will be pushing 12kg of boat but I need a bit more speed than the brushed set up in the boat at present. Used to be that Goole were okay budget ESC’s and motors, is that still the case? Also needs to be a 3.2mm shaft (think that’s correct?) 

Edited by Carpmart

1 minute ago, Nathanio said:

I'm guessing a bait boat isn't the quickest of things out there. 

I'd prob go for a lowish KV setup to give you a bit of torque as weight may be an issue. 

I need more speed and power BUT I need to balance that with runtime and cavitation issues.  

The open question is what is the go to cheapie but reliable brand of motor and ESC these days? 

1 minute ago, Nathanio said:

Hobbywing is still a good reliable combo. Could you got in say a 3660 can? Racestar 4pole cans are available on banggood for £17ish. 

What about a hobbyking waterproof ESC?

Need a 3.2mm shaft not 5mm

got lots of HW ESC’s I may repurpose... just hoped there was an easy banggood buy..?

Have you completely dismissed brushed?

Running a pair of Holmes Trailmaster 550 21t brushed motors I am sure would provide ample torque and enough speed for a bait boat.

Just as an option... Cheapie brushless are okay, but you tend to suffer in the torque department, plus the throttle often isn't very smooth.

Just my personal experience of some GoolRC and HobbyKing brushless stuff.

If yoi sack of the brushed for boats.... 

Then you'll need to consider the amount of draw you'll be getting... 12kg is very heavy indeed.... 

Best option for price is to go with some cheap Drone motors as you've got twin prop right? .... Look for around 1500kv or under ...no higher....

Boats take much more draw than cars... So grab the highest spec esc's you can for your budget.... 

You can often find lots on ebay of used drone motors and esc.... 

P. S. 5mm to 3.2mm couplings are available for cheap

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Have you completely dismissed brushed?

Running a pair of Holmes Trailmaster 550 21t brushed motors I am sure would provide ample torque and enough speed for a bait boat.

Just as an option... Cheapie brushless are okay, but you tend to suffer in the torque department, plus the throttle often isn't very smooth.

Just my personal experience of some GoolRC and HobbyKing brushless stuff.

Whats the cell rating for these Trailmaster motors and any idea where I can get full, otor specs on them? 

4 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Whats the cell rating for these Trailmaster motors and any idea where I can get full, otor specs on them? 

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors/trailmaster-series/trailmaster-sport-550.html

I've run mine on 3s in a Bomber on 2.2s which I'd guess mine was around 4kg, it never got hot to be honest, so I imagine one taking around 6kg of the strain would be okay.

Cheap enough to try out mate if you already have brushed ESCs.

I would say though if you go brushless for a boat, as FIMS said, they are under a lot of strain in a boat compared to a car, unless you've used one previously and know they work good, I personally wouldn't risk the £50-60 for a Gool combo.

Another option, depending on your mounting space would be the bit Dewalt motors people put in Summits?

Motor mounts are available for mounting, it might take a bit of modification, but that would be the ultimate for torque.

• Thanks 1