• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which SCX10II is best SCX10II?

At the moment I have a very modified RGT Bowler which has been pretty awesome to learn the hobby with and to mess with, and an AX10 Deadbolt (the weird missing link model between the AX10 and the Wraith, that got the new axles etc) which has become a reliable day to day thumper. And as much as I've enjoyed the RGT, the simplicity of living with the Axial has pretty much made me resent every minute I spend kitbashing stuff to fit the RGT. It's been a great wee truck for me but I just want something a bit easier to live with now and especially with better aftermarket. Basically at some point I've passed out of the initial mad enthusiasm phase and into the meh, just wish it'd bloody fit together phase.

So, there's a couple of contenders for that but the SCX10II just seems to nail the ubiquity angle- probably an Element Enduro or a Vaterra Ascender could be better but nothing can match axial for affordable aftermarket I reckon.  And, basically, I like 'em.

But I've got pretty close to pressing buy, and now the model range is freaking me out. A Raw build kit could work great as I have really good electronics and wheels I can rob from the old truck. I really like the Honcho model, but it seems to have some hidden shortcomings like not having universals as standard. And looking at the Cherokees it gets pretty confusing to see what's good and what's not, every model seems to have its own exclamation marks, like this model comes with metal shocks, this one only has plastic links, yada yada... And there's stuff you can just hide away in the description like plastic gears etc which are pretty hard to pick out and compare.

So, if anyone really understands the range, can you help me out a bit? Specifically, what are the standouts and weaknesses of individual models. I'll rule out the Deadbolt just because I already have a deadbolt bodied Axial, and I really don't like the body of the Wrangler so it'd have to bring some other big advantages. Pretty much hate the Unimog's looks, it seems like extra cost for nothing, for me at least. I've a feeling the Raw kit is the one for me but... educate me, tell me I'm wrong!

Obviously any shortcomings can be fixed, so this is mostly just about getting the balance right, or as right as pssible straight out of the box. Obviously I'll change absolutely everything anyway but it still helps!

Cheers
Andrew

One thing you could do is afull custom build as yiu said youll change everything anyway just buy the best bits fro each scx10ii and pop them all together then you have something slightly more unique and to your style?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The raw builders kit does have the advantage of not paying for a body you don't like and wheels that I don't think anyone ever uses anyway.

The Unimog has advantages that you have a decent cage set up there to potentially add a cab only body to.

It also has the advantage of coming with plastic beadlocks, which is rare in an Axial kit, I think I'm right in saying it's the first 1.9 vehicle to come with them.

Does it have to be an SCX10ii? If you already have the new axles in your Deadbolt, you're not going to gain a huge amount.

Why not maybe consider the Wraith or the Bomber?

I'd personally go Bomber, having owned most of what Axial make, it's a fantastic rig.

Brilliant to build, brilliant to modify and upgrade and brilliant to just bash the snot out of.

I don't think you'll really gain a whole lot by getting a second SCX10ii, unless you want to do a super scale hard body build, but based on your post, you probably don't.

That's just my 2p though.

6 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

The raw builders kit does have the advantage of not paying for a body you don't like and wheels that I don't think anyone ever uses anyway.

The Unimog has advantages that you have a decent cage set up there to potentially add a cab only body to.

It also has the advantage of coming with plastic beadlocks, which is rare in an Axial kit, I think I'm right in saying it's the first 1.9 vehicle to come with them.

Does it have to be an SCX10ii? If you already have the new axles in your Deadbolt, you're not going to gain a huge amount.

Why not maybe consider the Wraith or the Bomber?

I'd personally go Bomber, having owned most of what Axial make, it's a fantastic rig.

Brilliant to build, brilliant to modify and upgrade and brilliant to just bash the snot out of.

I don't think you'll really gain a whole lot by getting a second SCX10ii, unless you want to do a super scale hard body build, but based on your post, you probably don't.

That's just my 2p though.

It's an AX10 Deadbolt I have- not the SCX10 one, it's original Deadbolt that's basically half Wraith and half AX10 - OCP60 axles and 2.2s but with a simpler main chassis and a "scale" body basically stuck on top like a flag on a pole :)  Great fun but a bit of a blunt instrument. Same as the Ridgecrest, if that helps.

What I'm looking for here is definitely something in the SCX ballpark, a 1.9 scaler, to replace the one I already have. It'll not be as capable as the AX10 is but that's half the point :)

Edited by Northwind

6 minutes ago, Northwind said:

It's an AX10 Deadbolt I have- not the SCX10 one, it's original Deadbolt that's basically half Wraith and half AX10 - OCP60 axles and 2.2s but with a simpler main chassis and a "scale" body basically stuck on top like a flag on a pole :)  Great fun but a bit of a blunt instrument. Same as the Ridgecrest, if that helps.

What I'm looking for here is definitely something in the SCX ballpark, a 1.9 scaler, to replace the one I already have. It'll not be as capable as the AX10 is but that's half the point :)

My mistake, I mis-read your original post.

I'd recommend a kit, you can choose better electrics, you get the pleasure of building it and you get upgrades that are worth having, you can also choose your own colour for the shell.

Thanks- I think I'm about 90% settled on the Raw kit tbh, but I just feel a little bit like I don't really understand some of the alternatives. But this thread is help settle that wee doubt so cheers!

The Cherokee Kit IMO.

You have the option of converting it to 2 speed fairy easy, and you have the older and better axle housings than the newer one piece kit versions
The body is very lightweight as well so it performs great out the box as long as you don't fit the roof rack. Just be careful, as it cracks a little easier being so light and thin.
On the Cherokee RTR vs the kit Cherokee, the kit had better compound on the included tyres and also had aluminium links, instead of the steel ones like the RTR

Edited by Hardcore

Other option is the Reely Freeman from Conrad, it's basically a scx10.2 rtr cherokee in all but name and price, with the advantage of all the axial hop ups fitting. 

IMG_20190419_145541.jpg

Edited by Jimplops
Photo added

5 hours ago, Northwind said:

Thanks- I think I'm about 90% settled on the Raw kit tbh, but I just feel a little bit like I don't really understand some of the alternatives. But this thread is help settle that wee doubt so cheers!

Downside to that is the one piece axle design, basically the lockouts and chubs from what I understand are molded, so there's no way to upgrade them.

That being said, if you want a different body and your own choice of wheels and tyres, then the raw builders kit is a very good option.

Ah see that right there is exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking of but hadn't spotted! Thanks!

In all honestly, I'd love to go for the Cherokee kit but it's just harder to stretch to the expense. I think that's probably the 2 options pretty well settled in my mind though- there doesn't seem to be anything with the Raw kit that I can't work with (I've had huge success with cheap metal 3rd party axle "outers" in the OCP60 axles to add low weight, so I'd quite likely do that anyway sooner or later) but equally the Cherokee brings enough extra stuff with it that it's a reasonable alternative for me. I think probably I'll go with the Raw kit and save the money for the inevitable hopups!

Thanks all! Massively appreciated.

7 hours ago, Northwind said:

Ah see that right there is exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking of but hadn't spotted! Thanks!

In all honestly, I'd love to go for the Cherokee kit but it's just harder to stretch to the expense. I think that's probably the 2 options pretty well settled in my mind though- there doesn't seem to be anything with the Raw kit that I can't work with (I've had huge success with cheap metal 3rd party axle "outers" in the OCP60 axles to add low weight, so I'd quite likely do that anyway sooner or later) but equally the Cherokee brings enough extra stuff with it that it's a reasonable alternative for me. I think probably I'll go with the Raw kit and save the money for the inevitable hopups!

Thanks all! Massively appreciated.

Yes just remember the only thing you can add is the knuckles, the lockouts and chubs are both molded into the main axle housing.

It's not a huge deal breaker, at least for me, which is why I have a raw builders kit on it's way to me with a 1946 Dodge power wagon body :D 

If you get the raw kit and opt to change to heavyweight metal housings you'll be able to change to the older design with the adjustable caster angle on the C hubs and ditch the 1 piece design.
Both designs use the same internals  

Aye, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I've always broken axial plastic c hubs pretty fast in the past so, if I got the Cherokee kit with the multi part axles most likely I'd replace those anyway... So getting the Raw kit with the combined axles just means replacing one most part. (at about £15 an end so not too bad)

It's kind of irritating to not get all the best parts in one place, but, that's also exactly why I'm getting an SCX10, stupendous aftermarket