• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

NiMh battery charging advice

jamesd

I am new to charging NiMh batteries, I have been charging Lipo batteries for quite a while but never NiMh and just wondering how you program the charger to charge NiMh batteries. I have the OVerlander RC6-VSP charger and it asks for a current limit and NiMH sensitivity d peak. How do I calculate these values? The batteries I am trying to charge are an HPI Plazma 6.0v 1200mah micro pack https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=378586&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZBAXrwMXaNvYt21aCzAsx6sFEZ5focJQig05EuMNorGuopAfG2BIxAaAsC8EALw_wcB

and an HPI plazma 7.2v 200mah https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-plazma-7-2v-2000mah-nimh-stick-pack-re-chargeable-battery/rc-car-products/385228

4 hours ago, Guns said:

Wouldn’t worry bout the sensitivity, there should be a basic nimh mode and just charge them at 1.2a and 2.0a respectively.

Thanks for the reply, ok so similar to lipo batteries. What voltages are considered as low for the nimh batteries? Is there a minimum voltage for them like the lipos?  

10 minutes ago, jamesd said:

Thanks for the reply, ok so similar to lipo batteries. What voltages are considered as low for the nimh batteries? Is there a minimum voltage for them like the lipos?  

Nope, theyre alot simpler than lipos, no need for a low voltage cut off or storage charge etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guns said:

Nope, theyre alot simpler than lipos, no need for a low voltage cut off or storage charge etc

Ah ok sounds simpler, so just run it until the car slows then. What about over charging do I need to worry about that or will the charger take care of that? Do they need to be fully discharged before re charging? 

1 hour ago, jamesd said:

Ah ok sounds simpler, so just run it until the car slows then. What about over charging do I need to worry about that or will the charger take care of that? Do they need to be fully discharged before re charging? 

See here for detailed nimh charging info.... As guns hinted....caring for nimh batteries is easy 

They will have a memory effect if you part charge them, they'll need fully discharging before recharging. 

Storage is usually 0.9 volts per cell.