• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soldering just beads off

Nickarla

I've bought some new 5 core (this) to replace the 5 core I ran out of. I've never had an issue and have always got on well with this solder but for whatever reasons it just beads off the wires and plugs. Ive cleaned the iron, the connectors are the same as others I've used but no luck. I have to really trap and squash in the solder for it to stick. Any ideas?

No, but this has flux built in. I think I linked to the wrong one. The one I have appears the same but says ‘flux’ on the can. It’s the same as the last solder I used which didn’t need it. I just didn’t want to waste money buying flux if that wasn’t the issue.

Im using that weller stuff too after seeing it recommended on here by afew. Im defo getting better at it now lol.  I solderd a 4s without thinking what if. Progress lol. 

Leaded.

I have successfully soldered my esc but could there be a concern over a poor electrical joint? It’s mechanically sound but don’t know if resistance will be an issue.

Edited by Nickarla

yeah you have to tin the tip of the wire first and the surface you are soldering to, also make sure both the wire and the surface you are soldering to are hot. 

Edited by Jumper

I know about tinning the tip of the wire and the surface it is to be connected to. What I mean is that people say to tin the tip of the iron on first use. I don't fully appreciate the need as surely when the iron heats up the solder will just slide off onto what you are soldering anyway but that's what is being suggested.

Yes you should always tin the iron tip first, I do it every time I solder and always have its the way I was taught as an apprentice, then flick off the excess solder usually on the floor in my case before you solder the wires properly, and I always clean the tip after use on the damp sponge on the solder stand. If you get a build up of solder on the tip or it discolours over time with burnt wire plastic sheath etc then you can carefully file or sand down the solder to reprofile the tip. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Im struggling with soldering an xt60 to my ESC. I cut off the old T connector as I couldent melt the old solder with my iron ? Then I struggled to tin the newly exposed wire. I did tin easily the new xt60 connections.

Is my iron not enough power. Its an antex 25W. Also the ESC wire(hobbywing sc8), is it coated with something...should I have scraped it to clean it.

One last question...i have it soldered up now but am not confident in the joint. Is there any way to test the joint. Truck ran ok in garden, no room to open it up fully though.

Thanks

5 hours ago, TheDriver said:

Im struggling with soldering an xt60 to my ESC. I cut off the old T connector as I couldent melt the old solder with my iron ? Then I struggled to tin the newly exposed wire. I did tin easily the new xt60 connections.

Is my iron not enough power. Its an antex 25W. Also the ESC wire(hobbywing sc8), is it coated with something...should I have scraped it to clean it.

One last question...i have it soldered up now but am not confident in the joint. Is there any way to test the joint. Truck ran ok in garden, no room to open it up fully though.

Thanks

yeah you iron doesnt have enough power. ideally you want a 60-100w iron.