• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao Hyper SSTe rolling chassis build

Kukynas

Following.  I've just bought another SSTe myself..... missed the old one purely for cosmetics :D  My information is the new version has stronger arms - thus reducing the incidences of the shafts bending - afaik the shafts themselves are identical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great little write up..??

I'm running 800cst front and rear with the uprated Hobao orange springs front and rear, the springs still seem a little soft to me... 

Diffs I went 10k50k7k

I agree about the shimming c hubs etc, I can't comment on the A arms as I've nothing to compare them to, but a little bendy should help them to not break..!!

One weak point I feel is the shock towers, I bent mine far too easily 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capri-boy said:

Following.  I've just bought another SSTe myself..... missed the old one purely for cosmetics :D  My information is the new version has stronger arms - thus reducing the incidences of the shafts bending - afaik the shafts themselves are identical.

Sadly from what I’ve seen the newer arms are now more prone to snap at the hinge pin ? thus still bending those thin cvd’s . Still has the super flexible chassis and parts support has become exstinked pretty much in the U.K. ?

Sadly I think Hobao heading down the toilet ??

32 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Sadly from what I’ve seen the newer arms are now more prone to snap at the hinge pin ? thus still bending those thin cvd’s . Still has the super flexible chassis and parts support has become exstinked pretty much in the U.K. ?

idk why they didnt just use the hyper st parts and make a new electric chassis for it. That would have been what most bashers wanted. 

11 hours ago, Jumper said:

Are the drive shafts thicker and the arms less bendy? Those were the main issues from what I've seen. 

I'm not sure if the shafts are thicker then previous version but these are 4.5mm in diameter 

9 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

arms are much stronger than previous version, they still flex a bit similar way to the ST pro so not sure why they would snap? any link to that info?

11 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Following.  I've just bought another SSTe myself..... missed the old one purely for cosmetics :D  

congrats ?

11 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I didn't get into this one yet so one of my future plans to look at, front or rear or both? rear from ST pro should fit without any adjustments, front may need some tweaking

8 hours ago, Jumper said:

idk why they didnt just use the hyper st parts and make a new electric chassis for it. That would have been what most bashers wanted. 

you can take entire front and rear suspension unit (gearbox with arms and shock towers) and mount it on the SSTe (4 screws from the bottom) , the only part which may require drilling new holes is servo safer and front chassis stiffener (on the other side of center front shaft) , of course arms are shorter so it would be bit narrower, was thinking about it myself at the beginning ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jumper said:

Electric ST Pro is still the current truggy to beat, it's just £££ compared to going SSTe.

23 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

Great little write up..??

I'm running 800cst front and rear with the uprated Hobao orange springs front and rear, the springs still seem a little soft to me... 

Diffs I went 10k50k7k

I agree about the shimming c hubs etc, I can't comment on the A arms as I've nothing to compare them to, but a little bendy should help them to not break..!!

CNC shock towers, at least on the VS, are good and not too expensive.  Can usually always double up RTR towers for additional strength.

21 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Hobao are on the up, VS platform is selling well and more importantly for us well received.  The SS' platform is what it is, they at least tried to mitigate the bendy shafts - whereas some companies wouldn't bother - think Tekno and the MT410 parts bin special diff input bearing issue (whether they do later remains to be seen).  My contact at Hobao said they looked at thicker shafts as optional upgrades - nothings come of it yet.  Parts support has had sketchy periods - personally I think they under estimated US demand and are playing catch up.  FWIW plenty of places to get parts from - the only thing that seems to have tailed off massively is the ebay chop shops.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Electric ST Pro is still the current truggy to beat, it's just £££ compared to going SSTe.

CNC shock towers, at least on the VS, are good and not too expensive.  Can usually always double up RTR towers for additional strength.

Hobao are on the up, VS platform is selling well and more importantly for us well received.  The SS' platform is what it is, they at least tried to mitigate the bendy shafts - whereas some companies wouldn't bother - think Tekno and the MT410 parts bin special diff input bearing issue (whether they do later remains to be seen).  My contact at Hobao said they looked at thicker shafts as optional upgrades - nothings come of it yet.  Parts support has had sketchy periods - personally I think they under estimated US demand and are playing catch up.  FWIW plenty of places to get parts from - the only thing that seems to have tailed off massively is the ebay chop shops.

I bet someone could make loads if they had a tekno ebay chop shop.  if you buy 10 spares it cost about as much as a whole mt410 kit! :D

• Like 1

ST Pro towers each for ~25£ through Modelsport UK, #86201 and 86212 

well said, there's no perfect car, each has some flaws...

I had zero troubles with spare/upgrade parts and I bought a lot of them from Modelsport and Hobao Taiwan, if they had issues with supply in the past now it seems they've been able to resolve it so I wouldn't be worried 

• Like 1

btw. do not buy front drive shafts part number OP-0079 as potential upgrade, these are already part of the kit ? , on the other hand if you bend them you need to buy upgraded shafts OP-0079 not the (previous) original #92003 as mentioned in the actual parts list as these are 2mm shorter

btw. 2 , if anybody know about any other CVA dogbone 149-150mm (edge to edge) long post them here  

• 3 weeks later...

diffs are done, didn't expect these aren't ready to run, just bit of grease and that's it, I know instruction manual for ST PRO stating extra oil required but I thought that's valid only for kit version, anyway all cleaned with C6000 and filled with 75, 100 and 30K CST silicone oil 

oh, btw. center diff did required extra shim as per below picture, 6x18x0.2mm (CR457) , original 6x19x0.3 is only sold with diff casing 

another thing is that both diffs 84343 and 84344 do contain/require different bearing than shown on below assembly diagram, these are standard 8x16x5 (not 10x16x5) and instead of 1 shim prior to bearing there are 2, it may vary per diff but I assume tolerances are the same 

DSC00276s.thumb.JPG.2c75ddc9946a84d8a4896453924e7393.JPGDSC00275ss.thumb.JPG.ced755255984d367c39f5ac1bd85bb00.JPGDSC00279s.thumb.JPG.ce568d7fc3539ff052530cf6b348314d.JPGDSC00283s.thumb.JPG.5a5fb778735f33ed4fe4b0d8aaf9722b.JPG1191247216_Diffassembly.thumb.jpg.26017bbb8b9947598b720155912a8b97.jpg

Edited by Kukynas
added pictures
  • Like 2

On 12/02/2019 at 18:51, capri-boy said:

I bent the CNC ones in their first run. I kmow weve has this ‘discussion’ multiple times, but The SSTE has no redeeming features. Mine spent more time bent than running and was genuinely the worst RC Ive ever owned. Shame because it looked epic and seemed to perform well, it was just far to weak to be an off road vehicle. 

• Like 1

It seems that majority complaining about bent shock towers, will confirm if PRO version fits within next week or 2, if yes than that's £50 (£60 with body mount) fix

1 hour ago, Guns said:

I bent the CNC ones in their first run. I kmow weve has this ‘discussion’ multiple times, but The SSTE has no redeeming features. Mine spent more time bent than running and was genuinely the worst RC Ive ever owned. Shame because it looked epic and seemed to perform well, it was just far to weak to be an off road vehicle. 

was this the latest version or previous?

btw, cost of electric ST PRO 

ST PRO cost £269 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=28366

Brushless conversion - 90057+87048+87050+90012 = £57

Battery tray 90060 or LOSA4461 or any other adequate = ~ £10

Total = ~£336

It's definitely better value for money than SSTe with all the hop-ups ?

• Like 1

See how you get on with oil in these.  I don't run spiders anymore - stock diffs hold up to 6s fine, and spider diffs have a habit of leaking.  I know others use RTV sealant to prevent it but it's an extra unneeded faf to me.

5 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

It seems that majority complaining about bent shock towers, will confirm if PRO version fits within next week or 2, if yes than that's £50 (£60 with body mount) fix

Total = ~£336

ST PRo is def good value compared to throwing £ at the SSTe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

See how you get on with oil in these.  I don't run spiders anymore - stock diffs hold up to 6s fine, and spider diffs have a habit of leaking.  I know others use RTV sealant to prevent it but it's an extra unneeded faf to me.

thanks for your info, I will monitor potential leak during first run but I'm running pretty high viscosity oil in them so hopefully no leak, I was afraid originals won't hold up torque from 3.5-4.2Kw motor I plan to run but may be I was afraid for no reason ?  

1 hour ago, Kukynas said:

thanks for your info, I will monitor potential leak during first run but I'm running pretty high viscosity oil in them so hopefully no leak, I was afraid originals won't hold up torque from 3.5-4.2Kw motor I plan to run but may be I was afraid for no reason ?  

I ran 60k cST in the centre diff - pretty thick - and under the high speed it forces itself out at a fair rate - after each run there would be a line of oil with dust / dirt stuck to it perfectly aligned with the centre spur.  They weep out the screw threads too but much less of an issue, especially with the thick oil.

I never ran anything powerful, just 1800 - 2200 kv  motors in the 74 - 82 mm long range on 6s max - so around 3000W plus or minus.  

• Like 2

the smaller one is 82 can with 2000kv and 3500W, second for testing is 92 can with 2140kv and 4200W, both very cheap... 

links in the first post under general part list if interested

A friend runs the 92mm SSS open ended motor in his ST.  It copes very well.  I look forward to seeing how you get on.  My new SSTe is still languishing in the man cave.... next to my new VSe and numerous (never enough) other RC's, mostly Hobao and LC Racing, that aren't getting the use they deserve!

• Like 1

good to hear it copes well in his car, should be fun than ?

can imagine, that's something I'd like to avoid if possible (a lot of cars and not enough time) , I plan to stick with 1 max 2 cars, hopefully I won't get too addicted ?

7 hours ago, Kukynas said:

Total = ~£336

It had the grey alloy parts as opposed to Orange which I believe meant it was the latest one?

Edited by Guns

43 minutes ago, Guns said:

It had the grey alloy parts as opposed to Orange which I believe meant it was the latest one?

I wish there was only one gray version, unfortunately nope, gray version is running for couple of years now, the main differentiator are lower arms, latest version running I think from middle of 2017, below old type (left) vs. new version

As you can see in video in my first post, "Rc Anonymous" is complaining about one of the older gray version with old type of arms

old.jpg.0eac3a757199c78389c1efd3a94007ef.jpgnew.jpg.a54c24b14afb93de78380d92de26e71b.jpg

• Like 1