• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Super Rock Rey or Traxxas UDR ?

mydoddy69

As title really fancy a new Rc and these 2 are the contenders so question is which one would you choose and why ? 

For me they both look outstanding okay so maybe not on equal terms with each other on the terrain aspect but both would be a whole heap of fun ! Mainly running on grass I’m leaning more toward the udr if I’m honest but can’t stop trolling over the Losi ??

Thanks 

Having seen both and the SBR too, they are all terrible around a track (8th scale and 5th scale grass tracks), don't really jump too well and all of them break. The UDR breaks it's front shaft and the links bend, the SRR and SBR have poorly made sintered gears in the centre transmission.   I'd probably go for the UDR out of the three, I was considering it but given the price bought a 5ive instead.

• Sad 1

Iv had the UDR since release and its been by far one of the best rc's iv owned. Not as fast as i expected on 6s but find some rough dusty terrain and let it go and its amazing. Looks extremely scale going over bumps etc with the super plush suspension setup

• Like 2

I really like the look of the super rock rey, but I think you need a quarry to have fun with it. On grass it just wouldn't be right. The udr is traxxas which is awful, but I feel it will be better on grass. You also need 8s to get the rock rey to speed and then as mond says, the gears break :(.

What they need is a tlr kit super rock rey with everything sorted. :D

For grass, probably neither, with soft suspension and not as good ride height as an MT.

I think a trophy truck or short course truck needs a quarry and rough terrain, or woodlands etc... I know the full size even run on tarmac but for the scale aspect and to appreciate that kind of RC fully, it needs the right terrain.

• Thanks 1

I don't think any of them need 8S to be honest. Having owned an 8S 5th scale which weighed at least 50% more than either of those much smaller trucks, 8S would be far to much power. They'll barely be able to grip. 

We’ve got the UDR it’s fantastic on the beach, sand-dunes and grass, drive it hard on undulating ground it responds well, it jumps fine we go over bunkers an 8ft high raised track with ease flat out, it’s got a great sound as well.

They all break but you fix em it’s part of the fun. I bet the UDR would be back up and running before the Losi though[emoji23][emoji23]

It’s not a basher.

I’m considering a Losi SRR ??, I’d have another UDR in a heartbeat.

[emoji848] sounds like a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Definitely udr, I have 3, love the scale look, takes a bit of getting used to driving ie with it tipping over,  but once you learn how to drive it, it's so much fun, helps putting different shock oil in and tweaking the suspension set up, but too fast in corners and over she goes,

I took it to the beach one day,  omg how much fun,  power slides totally different animal. 

Definitely not a basher.

Parts are all available. 

I have barrel rolled mine loads and only broke one rear trailing arm. Was on holiday got it the next day. 

Would you get that with the losi????

Super Rock Rey, hands down.

For a start, it's not a Traxxarse.

Furthermore, it's based on the Super Baja Rey, which is a far bigger, stronger platform than the UDR. Traxxas themselves included a little note on the UDR, stating "it's not to be jumped hard", or something like that, I can't remember. Whereas the Losi adverts all encourage hard abuse. That makes me wonder...

Considering Traxxas advertised the mk1 X-Maxx as being stupidly tough, only for it to have chronic and very critical weaknesses... I wouldn't want to find out just how sensitive their "please don't jump this hard" truck is, especially given the ridiculous price point.

Honestly though, I don't think either are fantastic choices. Too close to 5th scale money and way more delicate and heavy than something like an Arrma Outcast.

Edited by PraetoR
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Furthermore, it's based on the Super Baja Rey, which is a far bigger, stronger platform than the UDR. Traxxas themselves included a little note on the UDR, stating "it's not to be jumped hard", or something like that, I can't remember. Whereas the Losi adverts all encourage hard abuse. That makes me wonder...

Considering Traxxas advertised the mk1 X-Maxx as being stupidly tough, only for it to have chronic and very critical weaknesses... I wouldn't want to find out just how sensitive their "please don't jump this hard" truck is, especially given the ridiculous price point.

Honestly though, I don't think either are fantastic choices. Too close to 5th scale money and way more delicate and heavy than something like an Arrma Outcast.

Popcorn at the ready... :P lol.

Damn solid advice IMO that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PraetoR said:

You can get a good 5ive clone, RTR, for less money in fact. £699.

1 hour ago, Ady 2215 said:

Will just leave this here.

https://youtu.be/J9rMPRhz0Ak

Already seen it sadly looks like these have a similar issue to the old v1 X Maxx with gears stripping out ??

I dare say there will be a upgrade at some point but think for me atleast I’m going to give the SRR a miss until things get sorted out, there area few vids popping up with the same issue so not an isolated case. Think I’ll stick with the x Maxx and maybe go with a dbxl e instead ??

I actually like the losi super rock ray nice detailing, but it's expensive to say it could break  first time out, and have the issue of not getting the parts. It's on my radar to get when these issues have been sorted out.

I have only broke one trailing arm on my udr,  Got a new one next day.

• Like 1

I must admit the SRR & DBXL-E are fine looking trucks, I will wait till parts for the SRR become more available ( like I did with my Kraton)

I’ve alway fancied the DBXL-E but in every video I’ve watched they look to handle like a flying brick, I get the feeling they are too heavy even for 8s.

My dbxl-e handles really well and jumps nice and level but obviously I don't jump it like you would a monster truck or a 1/8th.The mx43's really transform it.The stock tyres just don't have any grip and the mx43's make it more controllable in the air.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

In this day and age, we can get parts for a 1970s slot machine, after about 5 minutes of searching. The "yeah, but parts availability..." argument doesn't hold water, anymore.

Yes but a losi super rock ray is no 70s slot machine. Even I can work that one out, 

So if I bought one yesterday and it broke where would I get the parts from.

Just had a look on ms I can only buy a battery. I would love to use my local hobby store not wait 3 to 4 weeks .

So I think you will find it holds a lot of water still. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomzac66 said:

I must admit the SRR & DBXL-E are fine looking trucks, I will wait till parts for the SRR become more available ( like I did with my Kraton)

I’ve alway fancied the DBXL-E but in every video I’ve watched they look to handle like a flying brick, I get the feeling they are too heavy even for 8s.

That's not the case. People over power their 8th scales with 6s and can't maintain grip. 8S on a 800kv motor is quite similar in power to a good two stroke and powers even the heavier 5ive pretty nicely. I've had a DBXL BL conversion and race with a guy who has a 5ive BL conversion and 8S is actually fine, it's more than possible to lose grip due to the torque if you're ham fisted. I would only up the voltage for run times. The DBXLE is very nimble though, it will happily beat the UDR or SBR around a track. Seen it done and have done it myself. 

• Like 2

My dbxl-e handles really well and jumps nice and level but obviously I don't jump it like you would a monster truck or a 1/8th.The mx43's really transform it.The stock tyres just don't have any grip and the mx43's make it more controllable in the air.

I get what your saying about not jumping too high with it, I don’t rag mine anyway, what kind of run time do you get with the 8s, what amperage are they ?