• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help needed please ~ Lipo batteries & C ratings etc for going fast

GMballistic

Hello all, so my first proper thread and really hoping I'm not posting one of those threads that comes up all the time with the regulars sick of helping. ?

I'm no stranger to R/c vehicles in fact I've had many over the years but also sold them all at one time or another. Even so I could do with some help please from those more knowledgeable than myself especially with regards to going fast using brushless electric systems & Lipo power. 

This Christmas my lovely Mrs bought me a Tamiya Hornet (re-release) kit so as soon as I could I went out and bought the kit familiar to me to get it up & running; namely an ESC with a 15T brushed motor. That car is not what I need help with but just wanted to give you an insight into what has rekindled my interest in R/c cars again. 

I'm considering buying an Arrma Typhon 6S BLX 1/8th scale buggy after researching a lot of options including 1/10th scale short course trucks and the like. It will mostly be for running on road which is why I started looking at people on Youtube with Arrma Typhons and came across people doing high speed runs, ...this is now the route I'm looking at going. 

So for starters the buggy will be standard although I will put in the higher toothed pinion included to attempt to get to the "on box" claimed 60mph+. I'm no stranger to high "ish" speed R/c vehicles but I'm not going to try to run before I can walk so will start off like that.

My only experience before now with Lipo batteries is with my old quadcopters, in particular a "Hubsan X4 Pro H109S High Edition". So I've been informed that for high speed car runs I need a battery with at least 5000Mah and preferably 60C minimum. Sound right??

Looking at Modelsport UK for example with their Arrma Typhon deals including batteries they're best deal includes (x2) 3S 5000Mah Lipos which are 35C (with XT-90 connectors). 

My question/s is/are;

Can anyone tell me is it better to run one 6S battery or two 3S batteries or doesn't that make a difference?

Any recommendations for firstly; where to buy batteries and secondly; what type to suit high speed runs?

Please bear in mind the batteries I'm after would need to have XT-90 connectors fitted please to suit the Arrma Typhon 6S.

My budget isn't huge for this so I don't want to waste my money on Lipo batteries that aren't up to the task. 

This section seems quiet but I'm hoping to tap some knowledge from some hopefully. Thank you. 

Edited by GMballistic

I too agree with the above, Hobbyking for batteries..??

Something like these... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-heavy-duty-5000mah-3s-60c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html?___store=en_us 

I would suggest getting the highest C rating you can for far better punch,  also go with two 3s batteries purely because it seems you have more choice in 3s.

If you go the two battery route and have the inevitable crash at high speed, hopefully you won't destroy both batteries, one might survive rather than killing one 6s..!! 

Shop around though because battery prices vary so much, ask on here as lots of us use lipo's to see what are the good deals and brands..??

Good luck and lets hope you smash the 60+mph..!!!

3 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I too agree with the above, Hobbyking for batteries..??

Something like these... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-heavy-duty-5000mah-3s-60c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html?___store=en_us 

I would suggest getting the highest C rating you can for far better punch,  also go with two 3s batteries purely because it seems you have more choice in 3s.

If you go the two battery route and have the inevitable crash at high speed, hopefully you won't destroy both batteries, one might survive rather than killing one 6s..!! 

Shop around though because battery prices vary so much, ask on here as lots of us use lipo's to see what are the good deals and brands..??

Good luck and lets hope you smash the 60+mph..!!!

I don't rate those at all. We tested some Turnigy heavy duties at the local track in a Brushless KMX2 in 8S. We got longer run times on the Turnigy Graphene batteries which had a lower Mah rating. All going around the same track, conditions and car. The only thing that beat them were a set of Gens Ace but those had 2000 more Mah.

I don't think C ratings will affect your top speed very much at all tbh. They are more related to how much volt drop you get when you take a pulse of high current, for example under hard acceleration - that's why they affect punch. When the motor has reached it's KV limit, the current actually drops off to a relatively low amount so anything rated 30C or higher will likely give you the same final motor speed.

Thank you to everyone that's contributed so far as I do appreciate the time taken to respond. 

I did find Hobby King online but wasn't sure where they were located, ...is it UK based then? Are you guys who are using them based in the UK?

To give you an idea on my budget ~ What I'm looking at trying to get is a suitable mains powered charger (suggestions appreciated) with (x2) Lipo 3S batteries (11.1V each/XT-90 connectors) OR (X1) Lipo 6S (22.2V with XT-90) battery for around the £140 mark tops. 

I like the idea of having just the one 6S battery purely so I'm not trying to stack batteries on top of each other or side by side. 

Been trying to find the size of the battery tray for the Arrma Typhon as I don't want to get batteries which don't fit in the tray or allow the lid on. Will be ordering the car this weekend so I guess I may just have to wait until I've got it before getting the batteries and charger. 

These are the batteries Modelsport UK do as part of a package deal with the car although part of me thinks they're awfully expensive for what they are especially with the discharge rating being fairly low. 

Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=404161

This seems more like it and better value but then again I'm still unsure if the size would be a problem: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-nano-tech-5000mah-3s-65-130c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html?___store=en_us

This is more complicated than I thought it would be and we're only talking about batteries for goodness sake.  ? 

Hobbyking are international. You can order from the UK or EU warehouse and get stuff fairly quickly. If you order from the EU, get it soon because it won't be long before tariffs are imposed and will need to go through customs if someone doesn't nuke parliament.

On 30/01/2019 at 21:36, mond said:

Hobbyking are international. You can order from the UK or EU warehouse and get stuff fairly quickly. If you order from the EU, get it soon because it won't be long before tariffs are imposed and will need to go through customs if someone doesn't nuke parliament.

Thanks. Well the cars on its way so I'm going to be sorting the battery, charger, Lipo bag etc this coming week. 

What does everyone think of this battery as providing it fits I think it's what I'm going to go for: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-6s-70c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90-hr-tech.html?___store=en_us

It has the correct XT-90 connector and decent Mah/C rating. Does the balance plug make any difference or is that just for plugging into the charger I buy and they'll all be catered for?

Also can anyone chime in please with any comments on chargers for 6S Lipo batteries. Current one I'm thinking of is this Overlander RC6-VSR: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=408440

Any help or comments appreciated. Thanks 

37 minutes ago, mond said:

The balance plug is just there for charging. It's a standard plug that all lipo chargers use.

Cheers I did eventually figure that out with some digging. Ha ha. 

Just the charger to sort now and the XT-90 charge lead. Think I may just ring MS tomorrow and get that charger I linked earlier, ...at least it's sorted then.