• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sand Dunes?

freedivercam

Is anyone running their large scale cars in sand, any tips on prepping for sand running, clean down after, anything i need to look out for?

I love going on sand, it's the most fun but also the biggest pain in terms of cleaning. It's supprising how much more load will go through the power system, esp if you've got paddles, I cooked a lipo in dunes, swole right up. I'll give everything a good coat of silicone spray before. I started trying to be gentle with the clean but realised eventually that putting it in the shower with the head set to pressure jet was about the best way. Just avoid squirting the super sensitive bits or remove them.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Sand is am awesome surface to run on, but it'll eat the mechanicals. Thorough cleaning is a must, also worth sealing the tyres including the air holes in the rims, you don't want sand inside the tyres. 

• Like 1

Sand is am awesome surface to run on, but it'll eat the mechanicals. Thorough cleaning is a must, also worth sealing the tyres including the air holes in the rims, you don't want sand inside the tyres. 
I've suffered with tyres before, how do you seal them, in the wet also when the sponges get boggy.

Would be a Losi 5ive I will be running in the sand, I take it things like axle boots will be important to add as well?

I had a Maverick Timberwolf with paddles on it and kept frying ESCs as the load was much more than it was used to.

How do you guys clean your 1/5s in general, compressed air and the hose treatment?

9 minutes ago, jdbarnes80 said:

I've suffered with tyres before, how do you seal them, in the wet also when the sponges get boggy.

On smaller scales, just be sure to add an extra bead of glue, then tape over the holes in the rims. This should keep sand out, but if you rip a tyre, it's game over and time to let it have it anyway! ?

On the big rigs, not so easy, but I've not had to do it, so can't answer. Sorry. 

I'd probably take any axle boots off and remove any trace or grease if they aren't 100% sealed. Your certainly need outwears shrouds on the engine and air filter. I'd also probably put shrouds around the shocks too. It's going to be super messy whatever you do.

I clean mine and all my RCs with muckoff where dirt can't be removed with air. I only clean what needs cleaning though.

1 minute ago, mond said:

I'd probably take any axle boots off and remove any trace or grease if they aren't 100% sealed. Your certainly need outwears shrouds on the engine and air filter. I'd also probably put shrouds around the shocks too. It's going to be super messy whatever you do.

I clean mine and all my RCs with muckoff where dirt can't be removed with air. I only clean what needs cleaning though.

Cheers shall be investing in some outerwears shrouds, they are great bits of kit!

How do you use the muck off do you have to hose it after?

Running on sand is great fun, I get the sand off with a portable pressure washer then dry add Wd 40 then 3in1 on bearings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaC7y9Z9_U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's running a 5ive though, different order of magnitude when it comes to making sure both sand and water don't get in places. Sand in cylinder heads and greased boots has a very expensive outcome.

Time to get a Traxxas then.[emoji41]

I’ll get my coat...........[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk