• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rock Crawler advice

sparkyhx

Hi all,

I currently have a 1/18th Vaterra Slickrock and love its abilities, but was looking at 1/10 for a more capable model.

I'm only really interested in rock crawling, I like the challenge, but the choice is not great.  The scale crawlers appear to be compromised by body overhang and also their higher speed (2speed) capabilities.  And I don't really want to go down the competition route and MOA and their like, as they are too expensive for my limited have fun requirements.

That brings me to the Losi night crawler, which appears to be rather good in comparison with out of the box alternatives.  Reading around it looks like the axials etc would be whupped by the LNC.  However parts and upgrade support for the LNC is near non existent compared with the Axials.  

I am also looking at a used Losi Comp Crawler, which appears to share a lot of bits with the LNC, just better, but my worry with this is that the LCC uses smaller battery and they are now several years old and discontinued, so could I be buying a soon to be potentially expensive ornament.  Mind you how delicate are these, bearing in mind in most instances the worst that happens is they topple over, its not like a rock racer where there is speed and 'crashes' involved.

so New Night Crawler or second hand Comp Crawler - or are there any other alternatives?

Thanks

Edited by sparkyhx

Also found the FTX Ravine  MOA and 4wheel steer - which looks great, but very cheap - So what's the catch?  If its too good to be true...…. and all that, plus i'm a big believer in |"buy cheap buy twice".

I assume its made of the cheapest of the cheap bits, but would it be upgradable to make it good?

If you want a decent MOA you will be looking at stuff like RC4WD Bully or berg crawlers but you are looking at other side of £1000 for a competitive rig when you include decent motors, esc and radio gear capable of mixing etc.

• Like 1

I'm not planning on being competitive so although MOA would be interesting I'm not spunking up the kind of money needed for a Bully or Berg.  The type of driving I  do is going up moorland rock outcrops which are abundant round here, usually uphill and back down again.  Its just for fun and it would be every now and then, not a weekly thing. 

I'm totally not interested in flat driving over rocks (trailing), I don't see the challenge.  I get my enjoyment from walk around and look for spots, "hmm that looks interesting I wonder if it will do that?", drop it in place and see if I can do it, it might take several tries, it might be impossible, I just like the trying. 

I find the size limits the ability of the Vaterra, or probably more accurately I kind of over estimate its abilities.  Hence why I'm looking at 1/10  

Looking to spend 300-400 for something up and running and capable.

I like the look of the Redcat Rockslide - but its only available thru US, which surely makes it no better than the losi when it come to support.

or the redcat Danchee Ridgerock, also only US and suspiciously cheap like the FTX Ravine

Exceed is another brand which is US only

Thats the question though - yes I can go Axial (I really like the wraith), but as far as I can see Axials are basically trailers/scalers, that can be used for crawling.  Out of the box the Axials would get mashed by the Losi Nightcrawler when used for pure  er........crawling.  I would be looking at much added expense to even get an axial performing as a Nightcrawler.  

.   If this discussion was happening in the US it wouldn't even be a discussion.  

BUT we are in the UK, where the support for valid alternatives (Redcat/Losi) just isn't here.  I think i'm overthinking it,  I could probably buy 2 Losi for the cost of buying and upgrading Wraith with similar capabilities.

I like the look of the bomber as well, but its a RR, so is it ultimately compromised on the slow speed? and possibly torque?,  My mind kinda works - why pay for something (higher speed) that I will never use.  Like buying and Audi RS4 and then putting big **** off 4x4 wheels and tyres on it. ?

Edited by sparkyhx

Could have got a original axial ax10 scorpion or the later ax10 chassis (deadbolt, ridgecrest, etc.) The early ax10 shares the scx10 running gear so parts aplenty, the later version uses the ar60 ocp axles and same old but bulletproof gearbox.

that would give you a “shafty” rock crawler.

i found the losi rigs were very power hungry and motor/esc choice was nothing like it is now so never really took off. The only real maintainance it needs is regular greasing (marine grade) and shimming of the worm gears.

get a thread going on your purchase though, be good to hear your feedback :good:

• Like 1

So, Anyone tried or know about These, I know I'll get back the whole it's Chinese, Cheap, Just get an Axial reply, But I see a few people are using these axial's on there rigs, And 'Fly in my soup' is using the gearbox in he's build, So maybe it would be cheaper to buy this and metaphorically work back, Than to buy an Axial and work forward.

Must admit, I may give this a shot. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babylon said:

So, Anyone tried or know about These, I know I'll get back the whole it's Chinese, Cheap, Just get an Axial reply, But I see a few people are using these axial's on there rigs, And 'Fly in my soup' is using the gearbox in he's build, So maybe it would be cheaper to buy this and metaphorically work back, Than to buy an Axial and work forward.

s-l1600.jpg

I've seen these on various Chinese websites. They look alright. 

You'll probably need to use threadlock right through it. The diffs might need shimming and grease but that's normal.

Go for it and start a thread I reckon.

As above, threadlock, grease, shock rebuilt etc. But the beauty of it is the most axial parts will fit meaning you won’t be waiting ages for parts.

also, my 2a Land Rover was built from parts and works as well as the axial rigs, it’s all in the way it’s tuned to your driving style :good:

i agree totally though, go for it and do a review on what your think to it.

11 hours ago, babylon said:

s-l1600.jpg

These aren't bad really for the price....put it this way....this would win out over any ftx branded rig for me......

These are xtraspeed/topcad brand parts

FYI....you could probably save money buying the parts individually........

I've used xtraspeed axles (wraith width, not scx10 as above) in both my 1/6 crawler builds......they're pretty durable if you go for the v2 ones with CVD..... Same with gearboxes..... Theirs a few on here gone with them....I paid £17 posted for my last one...full CNC Including gears....also durable