• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dartmoor's SCX10 II - Builders kit

Was hoping to get it in for the weekend but alas I'll build my shocks, wheels and hook up the electronics ready for the delivery next week.
Still got a body to sort as well, looking likely I'll be using a discovery 3 body that I picked up cheap recently.
Have stripped the incorrect camel stuff off it and now in the process of sanding and filling before I paint. Thinking green right now....
If it goes pear shaped I'll grab another Hilux to go with my other scaler!
Ordered the interior so super excited to get that all put together.
Just hope my aspirations are realised in the delivery!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Much progress today whilst I had a day off.
I have to say that I'm quite impressed by this kit. Ive not had to make any changes yet.
Transmission all went together a treat, there's less than .5mm play on the top shift, in and out. All spins freely. Like that Axial now use a harder plastic for the box meaning you can tighten without the worry of nipping the gears.
Went for 11.4" wheelbase as I've two smaller bodies I could use.
Soldered direct from esc to the motor as I didn't have any spare wire!!! Might change that in the future but not necessary till something goes pop[emoji11]
Ordered some CI foams on Wednesday so hopefully they'll be here midweek and I can get a run out next weekend [emoji106]40929cec51b22e319dd47f1fb55ef67a.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Much progress today whilst I had a day off.
I have to say that I'm quite impressed by this kit. Ive not had to make any changes yet.
Transmission all went together a treat, there's less than .5mm play on the top shift, in and out. All spins freely. Like that Axial now use a harder plastic for the box meaning you can tighten without the worry of nipping the gears.
Went for 11.4" wheelbase as I've two smaller bodies I could use.
Soldered direct from esc to the motor as I didn't have any spare wire!!! Might change that in the future but not necessary till something goes popemoji11.png
Ordered some CI foams on Wednesday so hopefully they'll be here midweek and I can get a run out next weekend emoji106.png40929cec51b22e319dd47f1fb55ef67a.jpg

Looking good. I haven't built a kit in ages. Very therapeutic but often not long enough.

• Like 1

Looking at this myself, would you say it’s worth it,or better buying the rtr
For me, this route is way better as I wanted to chose my own electrics as I'm not a fan of Axial ESC, Motors and servo.
I also wanted to chose my own tires, foams and shocks. Basically I get everything I want with minimal waste with this kit[emoji106]

Got the foams delivered this week, Crawler Innovations Lil Nova Dual Stage 4.25 Comp Cut Inner Foam Pair w/ Soft Outer.
All went together without a hitch.
Gotta say these Rockbeasts are crazy sticky. A lot of that will scrub off after a few runs but they look promising [emoji106]
My good lady is out tonight so I should finish assembly, minus the body.c040d29577f6ed37b0d1ae4e0c9bdd12.jpgf420086037595fdfd66ee9a7f984b3e6.jpgf7433d4f53400aa70206d46f488ade59.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2018 at 09:16, monkeyboy_uk said:

Looking good. I haven't built a kit in ages. Very therapeutic but often not long enough.

Couldn't agree with that more.

I think if I do end upwith another kit, it will either be a tank or a wagon, probably Tamiya with either, something I can spend a good few evenings doing and detailing.

Pretty much finished her off last night and got all electrics in and need to just calibrate ESC and servo.
Not convinced by the rear shock angle but will check with tyres on.
Had to cut and solder connectors between ESC and motor as the motor was in reverse, or not, and I needed the other way! Didn't seem right bodging it via the tx.
First panhard rig so trying to get my head around a link missing off the front. Can I just go ahead and put one in for my own OCD'ness!?
One observation to note is the ludicrously long bolts for the receiver box, why they need to be so long is beyond me!b0ba8b04f7d6b6698ee7c23c428b5cfb.jpge70ae063b08df8699cbfa23ce0e28a65.jpg7be9035ef39ea63537d19526b54f2d81.jpg

Does kit version come with panhard system I'm tempted by this chassis too!! But then keep looking at charisma sca 1e so I'm unsure

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This "Raw builders kit" is the panhard system yes. Not sure on the others but I'd guess they are as well.
The Carisma is a great looking bit of kit and well liked by quite a few members here.
I went the Axial route instead as I've got axial throughout so familiarity was the tipping point for me along with bigger aftermarket parts availability, innovation by 3rd parties etc.
I can't tell you which to go for thought as I've not got hands on experience with the Carisma.

This "Raw builders kit" is the panhard system yes. Not sure on the others but I'd guess they are as well.
The Carisma is a great looking bit of kit and well liked by quite a few members here.
I went the Axial route instead as I've got axial throughout so familiarity was the tipping point for me along with bigger aftermarket parts availability, innovation by 3rd parties etc.
I can't tell you which to go for thought as I've not got hands on experience with the Carisma.

There just seems to be so much out there it's kinda hard knowing what is good an bad!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Looking good! bet you can't wait to run it! What are your first impressions of the shocks? I went for the Gmade RSD's and the springs themselves are far too hard, wondered if yours are similar?

Looking good! bet you can't wait to run it! What are your first impressions of the shocks? I went for the Gmade RSD's and the springs themselves are far too hard, wondered if yours are similar?
Wish it'd stop raining first off so I can run it outside and put those Pitbulls to the test!

I went for those shocks as I have them on my son's Wraith and they're now approaching 2 years old and I've never stripped them down. They are absolutely perfect, no leaks at all and I've got quite a few from various manufacturers which regardless of my rebuilding just won't hold the oil where it's supposed to be!

These are 90mm and do seem fairly stiff at the outset but I need to get everything finished before deciding if I replace the springs. I've a few I can try but I do like a stiff ride!
I've their stiff springs on my Bomber and that thing can take quite a drop no worries [emoji106]

You can’t go wrong with those Pitbull tyres and Ssd rims. :good:

gonna get back onto finishing mine in the new yew but all the bits for the shell are silly money :banghead:
I'm feeling that now I'm looking at rc4wd bumpers, damn they're expensive!!!! SSD are either too narrow or too wide [emoji3525]
Will be getting some trail time over Christmas I hope, give those boots a good test [emoji106]

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of updates wrapped around Christmas and New Year! Difficult to make the time but managing to grab an hour here of there.

Rather than fork out £50 for a RC4WD front bumper I took a ftx outback bumber as it's the right width. Not too difficult to mount up.
Found a decent RC4WD rear bumper on eBay.

Primed and ready to paint and built up some crud catchers out of a milk carton! Paint isn't holding though so need to do again but the shape of both front and rear look spot on[emoji106][emoji12]

Got the body painted up, think it's referred to as redbull blue! Quite like it but only bought a small can so need get more as the job isn't that good!

Got the interior cut and mocked up with tape, resisting the urge to glue as I'll no doubt need to remove many times before it's done.

I've got 2 sheets of 0.5mm clear perspex for the windows and some tint. Need to choose the right glue as the inside of the body is quite rough and doesn't like contact glue. Gorilla works well but it's messy and doesn't dry clear. Think I need to find our equivalent of shoe goo!

That's all for now.9a8b867b3a270aabebc079205a0df859.jpg9f64108893cc7dac2df46a3dd6a5d0da.jpg622514be6b1752405bb0254b23450792.jpg418715d816959992bd3d4bc92457a48b.jpg

Been looking at brass parts for mine to up the weight, spotted a few things i like, such as Vanquish SLW hub compatible inner wheel weights, adding 280g at the axles, and inner driveshafts, adding another 49g.

Also spotted steel axle casings on eBay somewhere too, can’t remember how heavy but they’re surely heavier than alloy axles. 

11 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Need to choose the right glue as the inside of the body is quite rough and doesn't like contact glue. Gorilla works well but it's messy and doesn't dry clear. Think I need to find our equivalent of shoe goo!

This is what I am using for almost anything, try it out:

http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesives/multi-purpose-repair/unibond-repair-extreme.html

• Like 1