• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What truck 1/10

Lone-wolf

I might be looking for a different rc of roader maybe 1/12 but NO larger than 1/10, the all important answer to a usual question....budget, max £150 new.

I dont mind if its on lipo or NI-MH but only brushed, not brushless, wants to be a nice looking model, one you see and think "smart" and rugged, not have to fix it after every trip out.

Fairly fast, up to 25-30kph is ideal, waterproof would be very handy!

Main use is trail running, and very light crawling, like woodland rutted slopes

I like the look of this   https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-monster-tracker-1-10-ep-buggy-ready-set-t1-green-grey/rc-car-products/423263

But its only 2wd and i feel i would benefit more from 4x4

I want RTR with a fairly nice radio set, i know "dont want much.....i also like the look of this    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-bugsta-4wd-brushed-1-10th-off-road-buggy-rtr/rc-car-products/388535

So what model would you guys suggest please

Thanks in advance 

56 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Is the outlaw brushed a good solid rig, any weak points?

With the caveat - For the price - yes.  Weak points?  Yes - just like anything, especially at this price.  That said if your running brushed and not abusing it it will do well..  Check out the owners thread for lots of info:

Ide buy a used high grade roller and build it up over winter. It will take longer but by the end youll have a proper rc or beast mode i csll it. Over powerd for fun and still durable lol. Beast mode. 

Plus will set you up for the next rc being even better. Selling your roller towards the next roller. 

This is how im going to rc now. Buy nice bolt ons that work with most rcs. Elecs, wheels, shells ill keep them all now and only buy or sell rollers. 

Buying from the same price point mayaswel buy the same rc over and over. Even if they are half decent to use. They suffer badly on aftermarket support. Forum support etc. 

No name upgrades drove me insane with the ecx ruckus. No intrusions. No good videos or discussions on the subject  its hard mode lol. But say any traxxas you can pick and choose what to get or who to listen to. Its saturated in the good stuffs. Even selling. You'll be tempting the guy with ecx types. But form a que with traxxas types. 

Ive had two guys ask if ide sell them my slash 4x4 lol. I never thought about selling it. Defo didnt hint i might. But still got offers lol. But i love my slash 4x4 it is just beast in every way. 

Launchrd up the half pipe full speed it smacked the hand rail and rung three ramps like bells. It was BAD. But the thing landed and done it again that time clearing it going up 25-30ft then falling down level. Its never broken a single peice but is stupidly upgraded. The reason i chose slash 4x4 bcos its anything you want it to be. 

Search. 

PROJECT CHIMERA

Jang from URC forum turns his slash into every chassis class. Drift car to rock racer and all between. Traxxas 1/10s are like Lego kits sure you build it to the manual. But if you like you can build it totally diffrent. I figured if i get bored of it ill just change its clothes. Im going back to on road with it soon. Chasing its max speed possible. But need to build my new basher first. 

1 hour ago, RCbutcher said:

Ide buy a used high grade roller and build it up over winter. It will take longer but by the end youll have a proper rc or beast mode i csll it. Over powerd for fun and still durable lol. Beast mode. 

Plus will set you up for the next rc being even better. Selling your roller towards the next roller. 

This is how im going to rc now. Buy nice bolt ons that work with most rcs. Elecs, wheels, shells ill keep them all now and only buy or sell rollers. 

Buying from the same price point mayaswel buy the same rc over and over. Even if they are half decent to use. They suffer badly on aftermarket support. Forum support etc. 

No name upgrades drove me insane with the ecx ruckus. No intrusions. No good videos or discussions on the subject  its hard mode lol. But say any traxxas you can pick and choose what to get or who to listen to. Its saturated in the good stuffs. Even selling. You'll be tempting the guy with ecx types. But form a que with traxxas types. 

Ive had two guys ask if ide sell them my slash 4x4 lol. I never thought about selling it. Defo didnt hint i might. But still got offers lol. But i love my slash 4x4 it is just beast in every way. 

Launchrd up the half pipe full speed it smacked the hand rail and rung three ramps like bells. It was BAD. But the thing landed and done it again that time clearing it going up 25-30ft then falling down level. Its never broken a single peice but is stupidly upgraded. The reason i chose slash 4x4 bcos its anything you want it to be. 

Search. 

PROJECT CHIMERA

Jang from URC forum turns his slash into every chassis class. Drift car to rock racer and all between. Traxxas 1/10s are like Lego kits sure you build it to the manual. But if you like you can build it totally diffrent. I figured if i get bored of it ill just change its clothes. Im going back to on road with it soon. Chasing its max speed possible. But need to build my new basher first. 

Really nice idea but got too many projects on the go, always building or fixing my flying wings (got a liking for the Eashine blackwing 680) got a new camera/gps drone to build and the rc cars are just a winter thing, going to keep my Mauler Ford F-150 and get it set up how i want it 

This suffers from some wheel axle issue or something. I looked long and hard with your same criteria and couldn’t find anything. I ended up with a Bugsta and went brushless. It’s ok but has it’s downfalls, namely the weak gears.

If I was to do it over I would buy a Hobao VSe and put larger wheels on it but that’s doubling your budget. If I was to ridgedly stick to £150 I would buy the FTX Carnage. It’s wheel size is more forgiving to the drivetrain than the Bugsta. I would also have stayed brushed. My son upgraded his stock FTX esc which is naff to a HobbyWing 1060 for £18. Best upgrade available. You can run it hard with lipos and it keeps going. It’s more efficient, runs cooler and seems to be slightly quicker. It’s a slightly slower brushless equivalent.

I would also suggest buying from Timetunnel models who allow you to delete the poor NiMH battery and charger for £97. This frees you up to buy lipos and a charger.

Edited by Nickarla
Naff predictive texting
  • Like 1