• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello - New to RC

BenJones1

16 hours ago, BenJones1 said:

Dear All,

I'm new to RC and looking to buy my first buggy. I'm not sure whether to go for nitro or electric but will ask some questions in the appropriate forum.

Regards

Ben

Forget both of those mate n go the petrol route!! The best way to go if you ask me coz you've got a lot more that you can do withem!!!

PS: Sorry I forgot to welcome you to the best rc forum in the UK mate!! :)

Edited by diydrifter

Best bet for a "cheap" petrol are the KM baja's - have a look here: https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars.html

I'm no petrol expert but most say to stay away from the Yama stuff. Trouble with petrol is you're limited on where you can run them. Can't go far wrong with a brushless buggy, what did you go for?

• Like 1

Welcome.

I third that about the Yama! I made that mistake and paid the price. I am now going down the nitro race kit route.

Petrol is a good way to go as long as you have somewhere to store a 1/5 RC and a big enough space to bash/race it, as they are cheap to run. Saying that some of these high end electric rc's are amazing, depends on ya budget.

9 hours ago, BenJones1 said:

I did see this one when I was looking around but it was outside my budget.

https://www.rctoyworld.co.uk/rc-radio-remote-control-yama-15-scale-petrol-rc-buggy-24ghz---pro-30cc-carbon-version-23554-p.asp

But I've now bought a brushless model for my son.

Just seen your link! Stay well away from this one, it's the one I got and regretted straight away. Build quality is terrible!

10 hours ago, BenJones1 said:

I did see this one when I was looking around but it was outside my budget.

https://www.rctoyworld.co.uk/rc-radio-remote-control-yama-15-scale-petrol-rc-buggy-24ghz---pro-30cc-carbon-version-23554-p.asp

But I've now bought a brushless model for my son.

Ok pal well at least you've got off to a start :) AnAnd there's nothing wrong with a brushless type, it's just my preference is a petrol type one!! But we all have to start somewhere mate n if there's anything that I can ever help or advise you with then don't hesitate to contact me :)

On 04/10/2018 at 10:33, BenJones1 said:

Dear All,

I'm new to RC and looking to buy my first buggy. I'm not sure whether to go for nitro or electric but will ask some questions in the appropriate forum.

Regards

Ben

The things to ask yourself are what are you wanting from it and where will you use it.

Nito's are somewhat fickle, they often take a bit to get running and then often need fiddling with to keep them running sweet. You also have the on going cost of buying fuel and transporting it with you when you go and use the RC. Nitro is also messy and sticky.

On the flip side, most nitro models perform quite well, and generally get good runtimes and of course you can simply keep refilling the tank to keep on using it. And you don't need to preempt when you want to use it by charging the battery packs in advance (you'll still need batteries for the receiver mind!). And there is something about a "proper" internal combustion engine with the noise, drama, smell and smoke. Which can certainly add to the excitement and appeal. 

Noise of nitro can mean you can't use it in all locations though and they are more suited to bigger spaces than tight confined areas. And you'll only get a Brake, no reverse.

Electric, well with LiPos and brushless setups runtimes now equal or exceed Nitro models often, although not always. Although a NiMH and brushed setup can still be effective and useful. These are a lot cleaner and can perform equally as well or better than the nitros these days, certainly more "instant" throttle and from a standstill. Downsides are batteries are expensive and still take time to charge. So you have limited total runtime and have to get everything ready before you head out.