• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shoe goo gone - replaced with CML Flexi Tuff Stuff?

Nickarla

I have been to order some more Shoe Goo only to find that Modelsport have stopped selling it. They recommended something called Bison but at nearly £10 for 50ml I wasn't interested. I have just noticed that they also sell CML Flexi tuff which at £7.79 for 100ml is a much more viable option. The only issue I have is that I have never heard of it, neither can I find any reviews, or read any experiences.

Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the established benchmark that is Shoe Goo?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/cml-flexi-tuff-stuff/rc-car-products/30311

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

That'll do a lot though, unless you're wanting to completely cover a Losi 5ive body, you should get a good few shells out of it.

It can also be had a bit cheaper, I prefer to use what I know works and works the best, so I don't mind paying a bit more.

That's my philosophy too.

Stick with what you know. :)

I've never bothered with it (but should have), all I see used hobby wide is the shoe goo with scrum tape.

Go with the proper 110ml one because if you go with something else and it turns out crap then you'll end up forking for the goo afterwards anyway.

I'm more inclined to go with the cheaper one I think. My philosophy is why pay more if you don't need to. You wont know if you don't need to unless you try. Was just hoping someone may have tried it for reassurance or to suggest its rubbish, don't go near it.

All products taken from another industry and rebranded to a 'specific' use make me laugh....they're all a rip off....

Take a trade labelled 2 part felexible epoxy @ roughly £25 for a kilo tub.....put it in a 110ml tin and slap a use specific label and bam its £15 ......

Easy money!

P.s. I've used many different things, from straight epoxy resin to acropol painted on....next time I have go with a body I may try using lightweight resin with some chopped glass fibre thrown in.

I really want to try on my latest body but adding that much epoxy to a 1/6 hardbody will be like putting a brick on its roof....

Yup...it's a sadly common tactic.

When you find out there is a market, and it's cheap.....a bit of branding and a price hike is a common side effect.

It's also not been helped by the 'dangerous goods' legislation restricting postage. Because it contains a solvent...it probably comes under the dangerous goods umbrella ( dangerous goo ??? ), meaning a lot of carriers won't touch it...and those that do need special licensing and charge a lot more. They have to...as the cost of getting and keeping that licence is high. Now....who do you think controls the licences and gets the money from that....

But 'Flexi Tuff Stuff' is just a label CML have stuck on an existing product.

Bison just manufacture a range of adhesives. They do a product called 'liquid rubber' which sounds like the right stuff.

28 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

's also not been helped by the 'dangerous goods' legislation restricting postage. Because it contains a solvent...it probably comes under the dangerous goods umbrella (

Ya never thought of that....I just head down to the builders merchants to get mine once every 6-12 mnth

2 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Yup...it's a sadly common tactic.

When you find out there is a market, and it's cheap.....a bit of branding and a price hike is a common side effect.

It's also not been helped by the 'dangerous goods' legislation restricting postage. Because it contains a solvent...it probably comes under the dangerous goods umbrella ( dangerous goo ??? ), meaning a lot of carriers won't touch it...and those that do need special licensing and charge a lot more. They have to...as the cost of getting and keeping that licence is high. Now....who do you think controls the licences and gets the money from that....

Bison just manufacture a range of adhesives. They do a product called 'liquid rubber' which sounds like the right stuff.

Found the same thing with the Osaki mini mill I recently bought.

These are all exactly the same.

Sealey SM2502.                    £879+

Clarke CMD300.                    £645+

Draper MILL-170.                  £801+

Osaki OSA2715500K. Cost me... £475 in February!

On 11/07/2018 at 08:36, Nitroholic said:

As discussed this is common practice everywhere but unless I know what that product is then I have to go with tuff stuff as there is an assurance that it’ll do what I want it to.

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

As discussed this is common practice everywhere but unless I know what that product is then I have to go with tuff stuff as there is an assurance that it’ll do what I want it to.

Bam...in a nutshell...this is what companies rely on to successfully re market an existing product....unsure customers...

Its actually just a flexible two part epoxy resin dude...very much akin to the stuff you get in a syringe....but has added polymers and plasticizers to make it flexible when its cured...

Here's the trade alternative.....well I say alternative.... I should say...this is the same product, cos that's what that cml stuff is....just been placed in a larger tin and re marketed to a specific use

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resin-gel-silicone-adhesive/epoxy-resin/ef80-flexible-epoxy-resin-system.html

A wholesale customer couldacheive a much lower price for buying in volume

Edited by Fly In My Soup

• 2 years later...

After all that the Flexi tuff stuff is rubbish. It melts the paint. I’m guessing this means that the  trade flexi poly would also melt the paint, just as well I didn’t spend that sort of money on something unsuitable.

I guess it’s back to shoe goo as they are NOT all the same.

10 hours ago, Nickarla said:

After all that the Flexi tuff stuff is rubbish. It melts the paint. I’m guessing this means that the  trade flexi poly would also melt the paint, just as well I didn’t spend that sort of money on something unsuitable.

Checkout this thread  👍

11 hours ago, Nickarla said:

No..... EC branded flexi resin is safe for paint, plastic etc... I'm Not sure what stuff you used... 

Did you use water proofer this time around? Like the black stuff in a spray tin? 

Edited by Fly In My Soup

17 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Checkout this thread  👍

Looks interesting. The price of shoe goo has got silly now. If this toughens shells like shoe goo does then it’s worth changing over to. The problem I have is I put many hours of time and effort into designing and painting shells so don’t want to compromise on its reinforcement/durability.

15 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

No..... EC branded flexi resin is safe for paint, plastic etc... I'm Not sure what stuff you used... 

Did you use water proofer this time around? Like the black stuff in a spray tin? 

I used the CML stuff stuff. 
Whats a waterproofer?

On 11/07/2018 at 00:51, Fly In My Soup said:

All products taken from another industry and rebranded to a 'specific' use make me laugh....they're all a rip off....

I agree they're a rip off for what you get but they are not all the same, as per my findings with Tuff stuff.