• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A nice little project WPL C14

RC4WD fan

Cheers guys ? just waiting for the receiver to arrive to much messing about taking it off another RC then I'm going to build a little trail in the garden ? dose anyone know where I can get small scale sponser stickers from ? 

On 28 June 2018 at 19:07, ghazghul said:

I really want to find some better shocks for it as they are too bouncy.  Some grease on them helped but of course leaked back out...

I've just ordered These  a little smaller I think than the originals but will see how they go ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

I've just ordered These  a little smaller I think than the originals but will see how they go ?

I wondered when upgrade parts would come out.  Let us know how they are. The recommended listing below show a lot more parts!  Hard to justify most of them when they cost 1/2 the price I paid for the whole truck.

18 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

I wondered when upgrade parts would come out.  Let us know how they are. The recommended listing below show a lot more parts!  Hard to justify most of them when they cost 1/2 the price I paid for the whole truck.

I wil ? If they work great if not its only just under £8 so no big deal ?

3 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

I saw that to I'm going to be buying parts over the next few weeks for the c14 that was one if them ? I'm trying to find some small rod ends to make my own links but don't know where to start ? If I fail that I'll just buy some but would rather make my own though 

Well just spent another £59 on this hopefully the last things I'll need to buy just got metal drive/prop shafts metal links metal axle upgrade set and the 2 speed box with the 370 motor ? I've spent just over FTX outback mini money so @Davy Crockett the love has worn off now :tease:

• Haha 1

I gave in and ordered the two speed, shocks and shafts.  Was playing around in garden having loads of fun but something started smelling hot and then I lost drive.  Motor was roasting and pinion had slipped.  Pinion went back fine and all was good once cooled down but I think the bigger motor should make a huge difference.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ghazghul said:

I gave in and ordered the two speed, shocks and shafts.  Was playing around in garden having loads of fun but something started smelling hot and then I lost drive.  Motor was roasting and pinion had slipped.  Pinion went back fine and all was good once cooled down but I think the bigger motor should make a huge difference.

Are you going to get any metal parts links and metal axle parts ? I've had an email this morning saying that the metal axle parts aren't going to be shipped for some time yet so waiting for a refund for that and I'll order another set up but every thing else I've ordered is on the way :D I can't wait to test this 2 speed box out what's the betting that that's the last thing to turn up :lol:

9 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Are you going to get any metal parts links and metal axle parts ? I've had an email this morning saying that the metal axle parts aren't going to be shipped for some time yet so waiting for a refund for that and I'll order another set up but every thing else I've ordered is on the way :D I can't wait to test this 2 speed box out what's the betting that that's the last thing to turn up :lol:

The links seem to be holding up fine, and with the added o-rings in a few places there is not enough slop to worry about.  I'm not planning to do rock crawling and getting all bound up so hoping stock axles will be fine for a few dirt tracks around the garden.  I would like to be able to reverse up a hill though!  Not sure if it's the 1625 or the motor but reverse is very weak, even on 2S.

I might have to paint the body while I wait for everything to arrive, yours looks so much better once painted.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

The links seem to be holding up fine, and with the added o-rings in a few places there is not enough slop to worry about.  I'm not planning to do rock crawling and getting all bound up so hoping stock axles will be fine for a few dirt tracks around the garden.  I would like to be able to reverse up a hill though!  Not sure if it's the 1625 or the motor but reverse is very weak, even on 2S.

I might have to paint the body while I wait for everything to arrive, yours looks so much better once painted.

I would paint it make it look different and make it yours ? 

I've also noticed that reverse is very weak don't think it's the 1625 more the motor I'm hoping the new motor sorts that out some times it won't even move backwards ?

I’m afraid the 1625 has limited power in reverse, just like the larger 1060 does.

wouldnt mind one of the little Toyota’s, the leaf sprung army truck was disappointing so hoping this can be made better....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, big gaz said:

I’m afraid the 1625 has limited power in reverse, just like the larger 1060 does.

wouldnt mind one of the little Toyota’s, the leaf sprung army truck was disappointing so hoping this can be made better....

I know they have less power in reverse but with the stock motor it's horrendous imo hopefully the 2 speed will be here soon please RC gods ?

I hope it's going to be better than what it is now I'll be ****** if not ? I've also been thinking of getting the c24 just as a shelf queen  they look so nice ? 

My shocks arrived.. it comes with mounting hardware including some ball end bolts for the rod ends, but yet to figure out a way to attached them to the axle!  I might see if the stock rod ends with the hole right through will fit.

I changed to springs to the soft ones (silver) and the oil in them to 60wt which gave some damping, but they are a bit leaky at the top.  More experimentation required, but garage is too hot to be in for long.

I've not tried the upgraded drive shafts yet as waiting for the two speed to arrive...

Edited by ghazghul

2 hours ago, ghazghul said:

My shocks arrived.. it comes with mounting hardware including some ball end bolts for the rod ends, but yet to figure out a way to attached them to the axle!  I might see if the stock rod ends with the hole right through will fit.

I changed to springs to the soft ones (silver) and the oil in them to 60wt which gave some damping, but they are a bit leaky at the top.  More experimentation required, but garage is too hot to be in for long.

I've not tried the upgraded drive shafts yet as waiting for the two speed to arrive...

Hopefully mine will show up this week 

are they much smaller length wise to the stock ones ?

and would some green slime I think it's called work to stop the leak ? I've used it for shocks before and worked quite well 

13 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Hopefully mine will show up this week 

are they much smaller length wise to the stock ones ?

and would some green slime I think it's called work to stop the leak ? I've used it for shocks before and worked quite well 

Sorry, focus is all over the place...

1777449081_shockcompare.jpg.1af44b21625665f25738d3aec2a6205b.jpg

Stock 64mm end to end, Alloy 39.5mm

Stock travel 64-51=13mm, Alloy 39.5-33=6.5mm

So they are considerably shorter and have about half the travel.

On the plus side for me I think they may bolt straight on the Outback mini.

9 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Sorry, focus is all over the place...

1777449081_shockcompare.jpg.1af44b21625665f25738d3aec2a6205b.jpg

Stock 64mm end to end, Alloy 39.5mm

Stock travel 64-51=13mm, Alloy 39.5-33=6.5mm

So they are considerably shorter and have about half the travel.

On the plus side for me I think they may bolt straight on the Outback mini.

That's quite a size difference ? was worth a try at £8 though at least you can get use out of yous with the outback mini still on my to get list among 3 others ? I just want my 2 speed box ? though on a small + note I'm starting something for the rear but it's a little to hot to do any proper work just plan and mock up stage ?

• 2 weeks later...

The motor on the kit one is a fair bit bigger and the tires are much softer.  The wheels look a much better moulding too.

My 2 speed still hasn't turned up (still within eBay delivery range)

I now can't decide if I should build the C14 with all the good bits for crawling and the C24 with the leftovers for trailing... need another ESC too, considering a larger one (1060).

10 hours ago, ghazghul said:

The motor on the kit one is a fair bit bigger and the tires are much softer.  The wheels look a much better moulding too.

My 2 speed still hasn't turned up (still within eBay delivery range)

I now can't decide if I should build the C14 with all the good bits for crawling and the C24 with the leftovers for trailing... need another ESC too, considering a larger one (1060).

Could the bigger kit motor be a better way to go instead of the 2 speed ? wich I'm still waiting for aswell along with the other bits I ordered kind of lost hope in getting the bits but have to wait until the 29th before I can do anything about it ?

On 03/08/2018 at 08:34, RC4WD fan said:

Could the bigger kit motor be a better way to go instead of the 2 speed ? wich I'm still waiting for aswell along with the other bits I ordered kind of lost hope in getting the bits but have to wait until the 29th before I can do anything about it ?

Will let you know once I get it built.. or if I shove it in the other one.  I'll try and get a pic of the motor as you can probably buy them for pennies.  Currently mucking around with paint on mine.

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2018 at 08:34, RC4WD fan said:

Where did you order the bits from? Ebay or BG / GB etc? What's the 2-speed you mention? Is it switchable from a 3rd channel?

Well decide to try and put the new metal drive/prop shafts on only to be met with one small problem at a time (see what I did there ?) started by taking the front axle off image.jpg finally getting what ever you call this part of an axle? image.jpg then working out that on mine at least the drive/prop shaft was glued on the input shaft with a little help from a lighter to soften the plastic I got it off image.jpg then to realise the input shaft was a tiny bit big image.jpg not gonna be as straight forward as I first thought ?

6 hours ago, bertberr said:

Where did you order the bits from? Ebay or BG / GB etc? What's the 2-speed you mention? Is it switchable from a 3rd channel?

Got the bits of Ebay ? and yes the 2 speed is switchable by a 3rd channel just waiting for it to show up ?