• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A nice little project WPL C14

RC4WD fan

Got given this by @Davy Crockett didn't even want postage ? image.jpg plans so far are to get it up and running paint it and just make it look a little different from the rest possibly make a camper on the back ?but will see how I get on with working on it first ?

• Like 2

Have fun!  I enjoy tinkering with mine.

I really want to find some better shocks for it as they are too bouncy.  Some grease on them helped but of course leaked back out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghazghul said:

I really want to find some better shocks for it as they are too bouncy.  Some grease on them helped but of course leaked back out...

Oh I will ? 

I noticed that as well I was thinking of the RC4WD 1/18 G2 Shocks but don't know how bouncy they are ? 

Got everything to start the build now and wasted no time in putting the servo in image.jpgimage.jpgnow I need to work out how to connect the motor to the esc as the wires have quite the size difference ?

For the 1625 pretty sure I pulled the pins out of the motor connector (use something small to push the tabs in) and then shoved them inside the ESC motor cable ends.  They held pretty solid.

Servo install looks tidy.

A good tip is putted o-rings (the size you usually put in shocks) on the shocks where they attach to the chassis stops them flopping about.  Think I might have used some on the suspension arms where they attach to the axles too.

I also found the wheels were not actually very round where the bead sits.  I had to file down some molding marks and then the tires sat in much better.

Might have have a play with mine tomorrow!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ghazghul said:

For the 1625 pretty sure I pulled the pins out of the motor connector (use something small to push the tabs in) and then shoved them inside the ESC motor cable ends.  They held pretty solid.

Servo install looks tidy.

A good tip is putted o-rings (the size you usually put in shocks) on the shocks where they attach to the chassis stops them flopping about.  Think I might have used some on the suspension arms where they attach to the axles too.

I also found the wheels were not actually very round where the bead sits.  I had to file down some molding marks and then the tires sat in much better.

Might have have a play with mine tomorrow!

That's not an option for me as the motor wires have been snipped off so have to do something with the solder I will find something though ?

The tray was already cut out so only needed to screw the servo on nice and easy ?

I think I have some of them o-rings I'll try and find them I'll also look at the wheels thanks for those tips ?

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

I’m keenly watching mate.

got to be honest, @Davy Crockett is a proper gent and this just adds to it.

if only more folk were like his good self. ?

Well it's up and running now ? quite a bit faster than I thought it would be though I've just got to put the electrics in as they only sitting not stuck down and do a little painting still not sure what I'm gonna do with that yet though ? 

But most definitely @Davy Crockett Is a top notch guy ?

• Like 1

Is that on the std ni-cd pack or 1s/2s lipo? I've yet to do the servo/esc mod, just hasn't been top priority, but I only used it for less than 5 mins stock with that ridiculous steering... Motor started to smell interesting as well, so need to check drive train for general binding.

7 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Is that on the std ni-cd pack or 1s/2s lipo? I've yet to do the servo/esc mod, just hasn't been top priority, but I only used it for less than 5 mins stock with that ridiculous steering... Motor started to smell interesting as well, so need to check drive train for general binding.

I've got this 1000mAh 2s lipo Lipo doesn't seem to be any binding on mine not that I noticed anyway but am playing on upgrading the steering links front/rear links and drive/prop shafts ?

Got some paint on over the weekend ? image.jpg was going to go with a beaten up look but changed my mind after finding some silver so going with a tidy look now 

23 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Can you do a running video inside when you've put it together please? Considering getting one for my son to build from scratch as his first kit... But want to see what it's like built and running on indoor terrain first off.
Cheers emoji106.png

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can but never done a video ? but there's plenty on YouTube have a look on there ?

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:02, big gaz said:

I’m keenly watching mate.

got to be honest, @Davy Crockett is a proper gent and this just adds to it.

if only more folk were like his good self. ?

Cheers pal! 

Forum members have given me plenty of help over the years, nice to repay folks that appreciate it 

You've helped enough times so right back at you ?

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:29, RC4WD fan said:

Well it's up and running now ? quite a bit faster than I thought it would be though I've just got to put the electrics in as they only sitting not stuck down and do a little painting still not sure what I'm gonna do with that yet though ? 

But most definitely @Davy Crockett Is a top notch guy ?

Welcome pal!

• Like 2

On 04/07/2018 at 15:31, DartmoorTrails said:

Can you do a running video inside when you've put it together please? Considering getting one for my son to build from scratch as his first kit... But want to see what it's like built and running on indoor terrain first off.
Cheers emoji106.png

This is a small review I wrote after building the 6WD version of this.

What a horrible build this was.

The instruction are very poor, if it wasn't for years of experience, it would have been very easy to make numerous mistakes.

The screws are tiny, and the plastic very hard to screw into, twice I stabbed myself, as the force needed to push on the screwdriver was crazy, and you can only use a small driver.

The truck itself seems ok, it has no electrics in it yet.

I was amazed that it comes with a proper proportional servo in the kit.

If this was your first RC build, it could put you off, but if you know what you are doing, and have a bit of experience, then it's a bit of something different

Honestly, for a kids first build, I would go Tamiya, or Axial, something quality, with good instructions.

The instruction are very poor, if it wasn't for years of experience, it would have been very easy to make numerous mistakes.
The screws are tiny, and the plastic very hard to screw into, twice I stabbed myself, as the force needed to push on the screwdriver was crazy, and you can only use a small driver.
If this was your first RC build, it could put you off, but if you know what you are doing, and have a bit of experience, then it's a bit of something different

Honestly, for a kids first build, I would go Tamiya, or Axial, something quality, with good instructions.
Appreciated bigoggy, I'll keep him entertained till we can both do the Coyote together [emoji106]
Thanks again.

1 hour ago, bigoggy said:

I've never built mine as it was an RTR but I did strip and rebuild it but I can see exactly what you mean :yes: 

• Like 1

On 28 June 2018 at 19:07, ghazghul said:

Have you thought of using losi mini t shocks ?

^^^^ I think that's how you spell it ?

5 hours ago, Davy Crockett said:

That looks bloomin' fantastic!!!! :thumbsup:

I want another now! :D :D :D 

? it turned out better than I was exciting that's for sure I've been thinking of was to make a camper for the back not quite there just yet might leave that for the winter time projects ?

3 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Have you thought of using losi mini t shocks ?

^^^^ I think that's how you spell it ?

I have some Losi Mini Rock Crawler shocks and they seem too big, even if shorter.  I'll pop one off the Evoque and have a closer look.  The Gelande ones are probably the best bit but they are a bit pricey.

Nice job on the paint.  I drilled the holes in the wheels out (2mm?) which gave them a bit more depth.

18 hours ago, ghazghul said:

I have some Losi Mini Rock Crawler shocks and they seem too big, even if shorter.  I'll pop one off the Evoque and have a closer look.  The Gelande ones are probably the best bit but they are a bit pricey.

Nice job on the paint.  I drilled the holes in the wheels out (2mm?) which gave them a bit more depth.

Indeed they are I've been looking for replacements but can't find any other than them really ? 

I've already drilled in he holes out was the very first thing I did ? they look a lot better when done ?