• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Do i want a Mini crawler?? Yes...

jack-t87

So I'm new to the RC world having got a hyper 7 brushless conversion  a few months back, and that's great fun. But I'm liking the idea of something small for inside or smaller areas outside. Initially a mini buggy or st was on my mind but I'm tempted by a crawler or trail crawler for something different and to use on the beach this summer when I'm sat around. I like 2nd hand for the value but open to suggestions of new sub £70 1/24 or 1/18 models. What do you think?? I've come across the ftx our back mini and that's about it so far. 

I used to have a maverick scout was great for the garden and taking on holiday etc (see my thread scouting in Yorkshire) with cheap/free mods it can be fairly capable. I got my youngest a basher rocksta for using in the house he makes stuff to climb over. Has four wheel steer as well.

• Like 1

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a huge need for them or that big of a market.

Well, not for something that looks and goes like a hobby grade RC should.

If I was you, I'd seriously consider spending a little bit more, if you can, and get something 1/10th scale or perhaps 1/12th, like the 'normal' sized Outback for example, I believe they are a bit smaller than the mainstream stuff (SCX10, Ascender etc...)

Just my 2p really, because you will end up with a much more capable vehicle and more chance of snagging a second hand model as there's a lot more around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a huge need for them or that big of a market.

Well, not for something that looks and goes like a hobby grade RC should.

If I was you, I'd seriously consider spending a little bit more, if you can, and get something 1/10th scale or perhaps 1/12th, like the 'normal' sized Outback for example, I believe they are a bit smaller than the mainstream stuff (SCX10, Ascender etc...)

Just my 2p really, because you will end up with a much more capable vehicle and more chance of snagging a second hand model as there's a lot more around.

Cheers, haven't considered bigger so will check them out. 

Ive had afew micro crawlers and hated them. Just noise you honestly get bored waiting for it to drive to whatever you aim at. Just a big buzzing smail lol. They was 1/24 scale. Ecx something was one with green truck body. The snail. 

In fact ive had mayb 5-6 micro rc cars 1/24 -1/35 scales and not one of them got charged over 10 times. They just quickly went into a draw. 

The best indoor rc is the nano quads i think and ive only ever flown those no intrest in flying outside other than quick thought now and then. But havent. 

I got a heavily upgraded losi 1/18 mini crawler it looked very cool and videos of it climbing sofas looked fun. Inc driving it over the edge of sofa arm and balancing it there holding with two wheels then climbing back up. That looked cool. But was another use 30min put it away lol. 

Actually! I just brought about 5kg of lego bricks they might make micro crawler fun. Atleast now there's TONS of choice in micro crawler. But ide like to see one that can shift when wanted. To take away the pain of all that noise with no movement lol. 

Ive had losi micro rallies and a custom carbon sct 1/24 they was fun but again as always quickly went into a draw. 

A turnigy tz4 awd was the coolest micro ive had and impressive too very very cool but still a boring micro unless the stage is set for them. I don't even have a stage though lol just a patch at the bottom of the stairs smooth enough to drift. I started to chain drifys with it. But quickly got bored. 

The cell phone crawler stuff that idk how people can build it ive small skinny fingers and couldnt build mine. I ended up buying new parts to swap the parts i ruined and sold it quick. Cool rc but stupid to build it was drilling the holes i failed at. If rtr ide mayb try it again. 

The basher 4 wheel steer was one of the new rcs last time i wanted a micro and is really cool but doesn't it use a geared motor like the ecx causing all the noise and no go. Ide try one if that lego crawler idea comes back lol. My daughter would love building lego courses to drive over for sure. Honing her scaler skills instead of hooning her scaler lol. 

On 06/06/2018 at 07:58, ed1 said:

ftx ibex.£75-£80/4wd/4ws/decent build/gud spares.u can buy[cheap]wheel/tires+body to change to lr or jeep etc!

Yeah I've seen them but I quite like the more realistic looks of the others. Not a fan of the proper crawler look myself