• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting back into the hobby

jjl5590

21 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

Hey does anyone know why the Arrma Fazon isn't very much (if at all) available in the UK?

Google ‘Hobbico file for bankruptcy’

Also this

Edited by Guns

In my view.

For 1/8 MT the Tekno if you want to pay the price. Otherwise the Hyper MTe.

For 1/8 Truggy There's a few. Talion & Kraton are the same except for wheels and body. Talion is faster due to less rotational mass on the wheels. I like the look of the Tekno ET. Convert a Hyper ST. Steer clear of HPI Trophy. Losi is strong enough but imperial hardware.

The Arrma Outcast is a buggy / Truggy mix (buggy length, truggy width). If you like the idea of a muggy "stunt truck" it looks the part.

For a 1/8 buggy the Vorza is overrated and I've found a few issues with the stupid hinge pin holder design :ack: Hot bodies D812/D815 is twice as strong and a beaut converted. There's the good old reliable converted Hyper 7. The Kyosho TKI3 (kit) looks fine.

Newer RC designs aren't always better, some have gone backwards in terms of part quality and reliability.

True. Even the ones that are moving forward have ssometimes gone with experimental ideas that are not necessarily better than those that came before.

I'd just buy a Kraton or Talion if you're going RTR. Can't get better value than those right now. May be worth looking at shops in Germany, Holland and France for the best price though.  Every single thing now labelled an MT is basically a truggy with a droop screw issue anyway. Seems it's just a case of which wheels you use defines the label.

After watching a lot of Youtube videos, I think I will go for the Talion. I feel if I go for anything else, I'll be disappointed. Watching the Kraton pass speed runs at 50mph, it looked so slow. It won't give me the adrenaline rush I'm looking for. I was very unimpressed when I had my brushless e-revo on 6s many years ago.

That just leaves the Talion, which for some reason is more expensive than the Kraton even though it seems to be less equipped (e.g. no mudguards). Not sure why it costs more. I don't like the fact I'd have to immediately upgrade the Kraton's tires out of the box, which is another £60 straight away. 

I'm also confused as to why the Talion V2 box stated 60mph, but the V3 box states 70mph?

The Typhon looks nice for speed, but I'd like a change from buggies having already owned a Vorza 6s, Hyper 7 6s, and Xray 808 .28.

Edited by jjl5590

16 minutes ago, mond said:

It's just gearing which is the difference. If you're going for speed, why not go onroad? You'll need belted tyres either way. 

I like the option of driving on grass or in the woods

Youre not hitting 70mph off road anyway. Stick to having fun, dont worry about the difference between 50/60/70mph stickers on the box. Im sure my Truggies can hit 60+, in reality anything over 40 is impossible, and I bet you Im having the most fun when im hitting the skate park ramps at 25-30mph.

Youre getting too hung up on stickers on the box. I bet you hardly ever even hit 60 with your e-revo on 6s, if you stick a GPS on youll be suprised how perfect the conditions need to be to hit that. 

You seem to really like your old e-revo, why not buy an E-revo 2.0 from RCMart for £465 posted and risk the tax? I think youll be really happy with that. 

Edited by Guns

50 minutes ago, Guns said:

Youre not hitting 70mph off road anyway. Stick to having fun, dont worry about the difference between 50/60/70mph stickers on the box. Im sure my Truggies can hit 60+, in reality anything over 40 is impossible, and I bet you Im having the most fun when im hitting the skate park ramps at 25-30mph.

Youre getting too hung up on stickers on the box. I bet you hardly ever even hit 60 with your e-revo on 6s, if you stick a GPS on youll be suprised how perfect the conditions need to be to hit that. 

You seem to really like your old e-revo, why not buy an E-revo 2.0 from RCMart for £465 posted and risk the tax? I think youll be really happy with that. 

I get about 42 ish with a Truggy on grass and that is borderline to burning up.

That's with race size wheels on it like AKA Gridiron.

If I stick the wider Proline Shockwaves on with the same setup it's toast unless I gear down 2 teeth at least.

Put it on tarmac and It's at least 25 degrees cooler.

Basically the same difference between the Talion & Kraton box stock.

I swear I could gear my Vorza with the 2650kv motor to the moon, must have been doing around 70mph and used the same gearing for everyday running. 

If I put the talion tires on the kraton, reckon it could hit 70?

18 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

I swear I could gear my Vorza with the 2650kv motor to the moon, must have been doing around 70mph and used the same gearing for everyday running. 

If I put the talion tires on the kraton, reckon it could hit 70?

Get a GPS, I can guarantee you in the real world off road you weren't hitting 70mph. 

You were still hitting an absolutely ridiculously obscene speed that was borderline too much. Maybe 55mph. Stop worrying about what it says on the box regarding the mph. I too thought my R/Cs were hitting 70mph+ till I got a proper GPS strapped to them, Still didnt make them any less fun.

If you are for some reason obsessed with the 70mph figure, buy a touring car

Get any of the 1/8th Truggy's and enjoy them. PERSONALLY  I wouldn't get an Arrma at the moment. If I had to get something now and couldn't stretch to a Tekno ET (I only could afford one cause I got one second hand) Id get an E-Revo 2.0.

You will be over the moon with either of them. Just stop worrying about the sticker on the box :)

Edited by Guns

16 hours ago, Guns said:

Cheers for the reply, maybe i wasn't hitting 70 with the Vorza but it was a damn sight faster than the E-revo, which was sluggish in comparison. I was very unimpressed with the E-revo's top speed and don't think I'd buy another one tbh. There's a difference between a car ZOOMING passed you, and one just going fairly quick. I don't get the same rush. 

14 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

I've been following events around Hobbico online. I didn't think it would effect Arrma that much. Does me a favor though. I can't buy what isn't (easily) for sale, haha!

I thought Arrma are getting back on track? They've been bought by Horizon who are well-established. Granted the Nero/Fazon are probably going, but the others should be fine?

3 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

Cheers for the reply, maybe i wasn't hitting 70 with the Vorza but it was a damn sight faster than the E-revo, which was sluggish in comparison. I was very unimpressed with the E-revo's top speed and don't think I'd buy another one tbh. There's a difference between a car ZOOMING passed you, and one just going fairly quick. I don't get the same rush. 

I thought Arrma are getting back on track? They've been bought by Horizon who are well-established. Granted the Nero/Fazon are probably going, but the others should be fine?

Horizon are well established, but very anti UK. Expect price rises and availability issues for Arrma in the UK

10 minutes ago, Guns said:

Horizon are well established, but very anti UK. Expect price rises and availability issues for Arrma in the UK

Oh really? That's interesting... Do you know why they are anti-UK?

I wouldn't say they are anti UK, it's a small market so they don't have a warehouse here any more. Because of that costs went up. Not ideal but it may change. Arrma seems to do well in the UK, as does Axial, not forgetting Arrma Durango are a UK company too.

1 hour ago, jjl5590 said:

Oh really? That's interesting... Do you know why they are anti-UK?

Honestly I think Horizon are horrendous news for UK RCers, every forum seems to slag off Traxxas at every given opportunity but I genuinely think Horizon are worse. UK is a small market to them so they pulled all warehouses from the UK and moved them to Europe. As a result of this, things like the Losi DBXL, which I paid less than £600 brand new from Wheelspin Models just over a year ago, went up to a grand pretty much overnight.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/258084/

Theyve bizarrely stopped shops selling them (Even Modelsport dont stock Horizon stuff no more.... although we dont fully know why). Its far more difficult to get Losi stuff than it should be in the UK. 

You may think being in Germany is ok, but we wont be in the EU much longer, so that could cause major issues in the future potentially.

Im sick of Horizon being given a free pass, theyre a bigger cancer to RC in the UK than Traxxas in my opinion. I was very dissapointed when I found out they had their grubby mits on Arrma. 

I don't disagree it's a pain but I've never had issue getting parts for any of my 5 current Losi cars but I rarely break anything. Not used the Rock Rey enough to find out how tough it is yet though but that's a rebranded Vaterra rather than a true Losi.

55 minutes ago, Guns said:

Honestly I think Horizon are horrendous news for UK RCers, every forum seems to slag off Traxxas at every given opportunity but I genuinely think Horizon are worse. UK is a small market to them so they pulled all warehouses from the UK and moved them to Europe. As a result of this, things like the Losi DBXL, which I paid less than £600 brand new from Wheelspin Models just over a year ago, went up to a grand pretty much overnight.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/258084/

Theyve bizarrely stopped shops selling them (Even Modelsport dont stock Horizon stuff no more.... although we dont fully know why). Its far more difficult to get Losi stuff than it should be in the UK. 

You may think being in Germany is ok, but we wont be in the EU much longer, so that could cause major issues in the future potentially.

Im sick of Horizon being given a free pass, theyre a bigger cancer to RC in the UK than Traxxas in my opinion. I was very dissapointed when I found out they had their grubby mits on Arrma. 

This is very interesting stuff indeed. If this is indeed the case, I may hold off buying an Arrma for a few months to see how it all pans out. Sad to say the least :/

42 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

This is very interesting stuff indeed. If this is indeed the case, I may hold off buying an Arrma for a few months to see how it all pans out. Sad to say the least :/

Its all just my opinion mate, not for a second suggesting that its fact that Arrma will go the same way under their ownership, but if I had to put money on it thats what Id guess.

1 minute ago, mond said:

This is coming from the man who couldn't decide what RC to buy for months :P then bought two very niche, very expensive Teknos. Although I fully support such an awesome purchase :)

And thats related to this in what way exactly?