• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First 5th scale advice.

Cavematt

Hi all,

I’ve recently been down sizing my 1/8th nitro collection to buy my first 1/5th Petrol. I’ve whittled it down to two (other options not listed please advise if you think they are a contender).

I would like to know which is the better from people that have owned or know about these. 

30 degrees north short course https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars/30-dnt-shortcourse-truck-rtr.html

or the KM X2 Deluxe https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars/km-x2-deluxe-blue-blue-alloy.html

it's not just the power out put for me as what is a few MPH. I would like the most reliable of the two with the better spares support and drivability. And all round better car.

I know the KM X2 can have pretty much all the Losi parts used on it which is good for product support but can I use Losi parts on the 30 degree? A look on the RcModelz site and I’m seeing more spares for the KM X2 is this the case? I know the KM X2 is currently out of stock but I’m happy to wait if it’s the better car.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

I had a x2 and ran sweet, was bone stock too
The km 30.5 motor was decent
But if I bought a another short course I would got with the 30dn just the body and cage alone cost a few quid
A pal of mine has 1 and he loves it

But if it’s km, 30dn or losi they still all need checking over before use
Chap on fb just got a brand new losi
Fired it up an a clutch housing bolt came lose an punched a hole the the house after it hit the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

both cars are built by 30 north then 30 north sends the x2 back to km and they finish it off,   I would also buy a good full bearing kit change out diff oil and shock oil then let the upgrades begin 

the 30 north seems to be very good a few of my mates have them, one guy is having problems the other the car has been solid, 30 noth seems to be the better buy as it comes with the k power servos and the body but apart from that it is stock 

Edited by kenny_st

Thanks Kenny. The X2 comes with a body as well? Does the Losi 5 and X2 parts fit on the 30 north? I can’t find much running videos or reviews on the 30 but a fair few on the X2. I can’t decide. How long do you think it will take for RcModelz to get the X2 in stock have joined the email list. But your saying the 30 north. 

Thanks. 

yeh they fit, most of my mates have put the km billet upgrades on there's and arms are the same just like the rovan arms x2 comes with a body but its a standard body, the 30 north is a good buy as it already has the lipo ready servos etc 

I've spent the last week or so looking at the different 1/5s available now. 

I've had a few years out of the RC game, never had the money for a 1/5 then. 

My mate bought a 5t when they came out and I knew one day I will have one. But now having seen that they've gone up a few hundred quid I'm a bit cheesed off. 

While watch youtube tube videos I came across the KM and the 30DNT. More info available on the KM but I'm finding that when I take the plunge I'm going for a 30DNT. 

I'm a bit nervous of Chinese RC's though, never forget one of the boys buying a Yama buggy when it came out and it lasted about a minute. Hopefully these 30DNT are good. From what I can tell a spanner Check is a must. 

Edited by vragubit

cant compare these to a yama really, x2 and 30 north are as strong as the the 5t, I have had mine for nearly 2 years now and still on the original arms etc, and mine is on track and gets a beating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenny_st said:

cant compare these to a yama really, x2 and 30 north are as strong as the the 5t, I have had mine for nearly 2 years now and still on the original arms etc, and mine is on track and gets a beating. 

Which one have you got Kenny?

I have the x2 deluxe, actually I have 2 x2 deluxes  and my mates have the 30 north, if I was looking for another I think the 30 north is the better buy due to the servos and body you get.

if people are looking for more vids of the 30 north I would join the facebook groups plenty of 5 min short vids on there 

2 x2s have just been put up for sale on the Facebook group one for 400 and the other 550 with a zen engine if your looking to save a few quid

Edited by kenny_st
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kenny_st said:

Rovan have upped there game  with there models, but imo there is no point buying the rovan when the 30 North and x2 are about  

They really haven't, unless I was just unlucky and got a dodgy one

I would never buy rovan in the first place but that's just me. rovan arms etc are on par with km /30 north apart from that there still classed as the last resort if the others are out of stock 

4 hours ago, Scotty napalm said:

This was my bog standard x2 ran like a dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I never fully watched that video til the very end, the clutch in that Baja was completely buggered lol. Still debating on carrying on with my Badger or selling it and buy a 30dnt instead, like you said I would buy that truck just for the body alone, one of the best looking bodies and looks bomb proof, tbh though for how cheap the 30dnt is might I just buy one as well and put a g320 in it to begin with or something, when you spend 3k on a Baja spending an extra 700-800 quid on a 30dnt and having 2 cars doesn't seem like as bad an idea lol. 

To the OP, not that I have experience with that truck but looking at the two the 30 DNT looks better, has a tougher body and is cheap, the fancy alloy bits on the KM's look a bit of a weird colour imo and if it is my money I would rather upgrade to quality american or US made parts as and when you see fit as opposed to settling and spending extra money for some middle ground Chinese alloy that you might want to upgrade to more fancy parts later on anyways...Just my opinion...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 19/03/2018 at 22:08, Danzzz88 said:

Lol I never fully watched that video til the very end, the clutch in that Baja was completely buggered lol. Still debating on carrying on with my Badger or selling it and buy a 30dnt instead, like you said I would buy that truck just for the body alone, one of the best looking bodies and looks bomb proof, tbh though for how cheap the 30dnt is might I just buy one as well and put a g320 in it to begin with or something, when you spend 3k on a Baja spending an extra 700-800 quid on a 30dnt and having 2 cars doesn't seem like as bad an idea lol. 

To the OP, not that I have experience with that truck but looking at the two the 30 DNT looks better, has a tougher body and is cheap, the fancy alloy bits on the KM's look a bit of a weird colour imo and if it is my money I would rather upgrade to quality american or US made parts as and when you see fit as opposed to settling and spending extra money for some middle ground Chinese alloy that you might want to upgrade to more fancy parts later on anyways...Just my opinion...

It's worth factoring in some parts for the 5ive are not a 100% direct fit between the 5ive and it's clones.  Some parts are a fraction out. Most stuff will work but it's not 100% guaranteed. For example, the KM radio tray doesn't completely line up with the Losi chassis and the KM 58t spur is larger than the Losi 58t spur.

• 6 months later...

Just rejoined the large scale RC scene after a number of years away with a 30 dnt. Well happy with it.

I do have a question tho..

Does anyone use a dry lube on the pinion/spur gears ?

I've got a can of quite expensive wurth dry chain lube left over from my motorcycling days and wondered if there is any benefit to lubing the spur gear ?

Or is it more hassle that it's worth, and better off those running dry and lube free ?

Tia

Paul

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk