• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/18 WPL C14 Hercules (Toyota Hilux) Project

Crawl.and.Explore

Thought I would start a thread for my 1/16 C14. Pretty new to all things RC and learning all the time. Picked up this as a little project while I save for a scale/crawler. Also to take it apart and learn the parts and electrics etc.

Bought the ready to run version and arrived the other day. Box looked like it had been thrown out of the plane but worked fine.

2fe69a2f9ecbd1816cba5e8847b809af.jpg

a7205e457cda5f5deb4e5dbf7fa476dd.jpg

8748d961b121ddaf821d3b6ce5991ebe.jpg

c2df60f8ef8ddf949a9a3e0608c7dbf6.jpg

Future plans are paint, weather and detail. Also change tyres and fit accessories included.
First electrics upgrade will have to be a servo too. Stock one is shocking.

Any advice on upgrading electrics very cheaply?
I do have a cheap SG90 micro servo lying around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one, I'll be interested to hear how you get on.  I ordered the yellow RTR about 2 wks ago, so should get something through before too long. I got the RTR, but then later realised I should have gone for the kit version, as it comes with a proper servo, softer tyres, and a slightly larger motor... Hey ho, the intention was for a slowish indoor rig for the kids anyway, so I'll leave it stock until something goes pop, then chuck in one of my flysky receivers and a spare micro servo, and possibly go lipo, either 1s or 2s (with a reduction box if it'll fit).

• Like 1

I was going to get one of those cheapo 20/30a brushed esc's, and use a little micro servo like the HXT900 or I have a spare MG90s here, so maybe that, and then just one of my flysky receivers to bind with my GT3.

Similar plan tbh. I have a micro servo. Just need the other bits but don’t want to spend a lot on mods.

On 26/02/2018 at 20:07, Crawl.and.Explore said:

Found the micro servo I had lying around but will need to change the plug unless I go down the route of changing all electrics.

Don't think you'll be able to wire a 3 wire servo to a 2 wire system....

Going by the look of the stock 'servo' unit, it's obviously not an actual servo, more of a motor with a spring actuated arm (to re centre itself/steering)...... And as such, won't have a potentiometer unit in it.

That's what your three wires are for on an actual servo...to feed signal from potentiometer, to enable proportional steering.

You'll need an ESC/Rx/tx for sure:good:

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 2

The Quicrun 1625 is a perfect fit, tucked just behind the servo.  They are on sale at hobbyking at the moment but no stock in UK or EU warehouses.  I have a HXT900 servo fitted and a Flysky receiver fits on top of the servo.  Just need to sort out the motor wires to the ESC (quite a change in wire size).  Also need to work out what resistor to run the LED's from the RX.

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Arrrr...good point, didn't think about the led's... Can't u just run the wires to the 3rd channel on the receiver?

I plugged them into the 3rd channel and they lit.. the existing plug will just about go on there but pretty sure they are wired in parallel and probably won't like 5V (1625 BEC output) through them for very long.  A 330ohm resistor should be about right if they are standard white LEDs.  They however might be 5V LEDs.. I need to stick the meter across them or the output from the stock PCB and check, which I will probably do tomorrow.

• Like 1

The Quicrun 1625 is a perfect fit, tucked just behind the servo.  They are on sale at hobbyking at the moment but no stock in UK or EU warehouses.  I have a HXT900 servo fitted and a Flysky receiver fits on top of the servo.  Just need to sort out the motor wires to the ESC (quite a change in wire size).  Also need to work out what resistor to run the LED's from the RX.

My Motor won’t Work attaching to the 2 in 1 esc/rx I have. No idea why though.

12 minutes ago, Crawl.and.Explore said:

My Motor won’t Work attaching to the 2 in 1 esc/rx I have. No idea why though.

Odd.  I had issues with mine and thought I had broken a wire, but turned out I had the ESC in LiPO mode and of course the stock battery triggers the cutoff.  I have all the electrics fitted and the body back on now.

I'm currently trying to work out what to do with the shocks.  Adding a bunch of grease improved them, bu then it all leaked out the bottom (not a huge surprise!).  Seriously considering picking up a lathe so I can make my own small scale shocks.

I tried to run mine in std RTR form, which was hopeless... Wouldn't steer right at all, and only barely made a left turn, so has been shelved until my new ESC arrives for it.  One thing I did notice though was there was a lot of binding in the drivetrain, mainly driveshafts I think... I'll pull it all apart and rebuild to try to get everything a bit smoother, while I wait for the ESC.