• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Please help losing the Will to live

Flexiblood

Ok so I've got a trophy 4.6 brand new and did the 5 tank break in procedure all went Ok. From then on it's been a nightmare, it cuts out at full throttle every time, I've tried all sorts of tunes and starting from stock each time but still cuts out, from low speed to 3/4 it's Good. I've tried changing fuel lines and check for air leaks and it's all good. I've upgraded both servos because the throttle one broke and just took it out to try again and now the brakes are pretty much locked on. Could all this be something to do with the clutch? Could I have broke it during break in? It's new so could this be solved under warranty? I'm good with my hands so don't mind taking it to bits. Sorry for all the questions, spent almost 450 on it now and not ran it with the case on yet :(

14 minutes ago, sunny said:

Try taking it back to modelshop near you they should help?

If not try using this:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

the flow chart is very helpful

I'll take it back at the weekend see what they say, if not I want my money back and going to start with something cheaper I think :(

37 minutes ago, Flexiblood said:

I'll take it back at the weekend see what they say, if not I want my money back and going to start with something cheaper I think :(

Go brushless mate less messing more playing

• Like 2

Since you have changed parts you may have some problems with a warranty claim. Depends how good your local shop is. From your 2 problems the cutting out is purely down to tune, there is no magic tune, it varies day by day hour by hour, this is what puts a lot of people off nitro. The second problem sounds like the throttle and brake linkage needs adjusting after your servo change. If you decide to have another go at it adjust everything with radio and reciver powered up so it roll freely and the servo gives full travel in throttle and brake without binding. Then re set to factory needles, run up to temperature and very slowly lean out the HSN no more than 1/8 turn at a time doing a couple of runs after each adjustment. There is loads of good advice on tuning on here and YouTube.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, spannermonkey said:

Since you have changed parts you may have some problems with a warranty claim. Depends how good your local shop is. From your 2 problems the cutting out is purely down to tune, there is no magic tune, it varies day by day hour by hour, this is what puts a lot of people off nitro. The second problem sounds like the throttle and brake linkage needs adjusting after your servo change. If you decide to have another go at it adjust everything with radio and reciver powered up so it roll freely and the servo gives full travel in throttle and brake without binding. Then re set to factory needles, run up to temperature and very slowly lean out the HSN no more than 1/8 turn at a time doing a couple of runs after each adjustment. There is loads of good advice on tuning on here and YouTube.

The brakes are still sticking slightly even when the brakes aren't even on, ive read that undoing the screws on the pads slightly Will solve this? Would the stronger servo have caused this somehow? Yeah I'll keep at it with the tuning ill get it right one day lol! 

40 minutes ago, sunny said:

Go brushless mate less messing more playing

Nah I'm not a fan of electric I like the nitro noise! (When it's working of course haha!)

Thank you for the replies!

1 hour ago, Flexiblood said:

...:rolleyes:.....jus because its cheaper dude don't mean its gonna run any easier..:no_prv:...no matter what a nitro costs it will give u headache..:banghead:..could b the cheapest hsp...or the dearest mugen racer ......FACT!:good:!...runs perfect one day...nx day u blow 3x glow plugs in a row......:banghead:....ho the joys of nitro.....:lol:

Edited by evssv
  • Thanks 1

If you've replaced the servo then perhaps you have not centred it when you put the servo arm back on, usually the arm is at 90 at neutral.

Have you adjusted the carb needles yet? They will be set to run rich from factory so probably need to lean the HSN.

rc-nitro-flowchart.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, locky said:

If you've replaced the servo then perhaps you have not centred it when you put the servo arm back on, usually the arm is at 90 at neutral.

Have you adjusted the carb needles yet? They will be set to run rich from factory so probably need to lean the HSN.

rc-nitro-flowchart.jpg

Yep I probably just need more time to adjust them really, it's giving me a right headache haha! I'll have another go tomorrow. I replaced the steering servo with a upgraded savox one, then my throttle servo broke so I put the old steering one there, ones metal and the broke one is plastic, so they should be the same right? Or should I gone and brought a different one for the throttle?

20 minutes ago, evssv said:

...:rolleyes:.....jus because its cheaper dude don't mean its gonna run any easier..:no_prv:...no matter what a nitro costs it will give u headache..:banghead:..could b the cheapest hsp...or the dearest mugen racer ......FACT!:good:!...runs perfect one day...nx day u blow 3x glow plugs in a row......:banghead:....ho the joys of nitro.....:lol:

What have I got my self into haha! It's annoying as my friends have been a cheap electric buggy each and there taking this Mick out of mine as it cost loads and can't get it going properly haha! :(

3 minutes ago, Flexiblood said:

Yep I probably just need more time to adjust them really, it's giving me a right headache haha! I'll have another go tomorrow. I replaced the steering servo with a upgraded savox one, then my throttle servo broke so I put the old steering one there, ones metal and the broke one is plastic, so they should be the same right? Or should I gone and brought a different one for the throttle?

What have I got my self into haha! It's annoying as my friends have been a cheap electric buggy each and there taking this Mick out of mine as it cost loads and can't get it going properly haha! :(

this is y I left nitro and went brushless.....yes I did have a year of fun with my nitro hyper7...:D:D

but it got to a point and I got fed up of it so did a conversion.....:yes:...and I haven't looked back .....:no_prv:

same car.....jus with out the hassles.....:D.....I love any thing with a engine.....cars..bikes....:yes:..but trying to run nitro successfully is a fine art......which I could never acquire.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing makes you smile more than a well tuned nitro. Yes they are a pain but once you have learned how to tune then it's fairly simple. You will also find you can get a tune that needs a slight tweak but will start and run every time. I bash with some brush less boys and I love to watch them go home when they are out of batteries and I've still got half a gallon of fuel to go, also I can refuel running so very little time out. Stick at it, watch some tuning videos and try running when it's a bit warmer out. Nitro is hard work below 10c.

• Thanks 2

Sounds like throttle linkage needs setting up again. Mayb swapping the servo left the carb gap wrong or something silly. It ususlly is something silly with nitro lol. Take a nitro out for 5hrs garantee 3hrs was kneeling over it lol. 

Pop air filter off and watch the carb slide see if it opens fully and closes to 0.5mm or 1mm i forgot lol. 

Glow plugs usually die during break in too, if not tried new plug worth a go. 

I used to use os8 plugs from eBay cheao and i think they caused most of my trouble. In fact i think theres tons of fake os8 plugs 9n ebay. Once i got other glow plugs it was abit better. Abit lol. 

All sorted thank God it had loads of problems, the fuel I got with the car was no good, clutch bearing had gone, engine needed moving over, brakes needed undoing as the pads were stuck on, new glow plug and go finally tuning. Worth paying 30 quid for someone to sort it all and now runs like a dream! Thanks for all the answers everyone!

Was just gonna ask what fuel you were using, Wasn't Model Technics by any chance was it.

I have always run 25% Nitro content, There was this chain of thought that to help the life of your engine you should use lower Nitro content so more oil, So 10% was always recommended for new people, Problem with that was that because of the lower Nitro content it was much harder to get a tune and find that sweet spot, So defeated the whole object of running 10%.

I kind of get the whole high oil content in the Aero world were engines are running at full RPM for long periods,  But for ground, 25% or more(if you can find it)all day long.

Edited by babylon

7 hours ago, babylon said:

Was just gonna ask what fuel you were using, Wasn't Model Technics by any chance was it.

I have always run 25% Nitro content, There was this chain of thought that to help the life of your engine you should use lower Nitro content so more oil, So 10% was always recommended for new people, Problem with that was that because of the lower Nitro content it was much harder to get a tune and find that sweet spot, So defeated the whole object of running 10%.

I kind of get the whole high oil content in the Aero world were engines are running at full RPM for long periods,  But for ground, 25% or more(if you can find it)all day long.

It was 25%hpi power fuel I had and the bloke told me to bin it and told me to use model technics %25 so I brought a gallon while I was there so it should last me a while :)

Edited by Flexiblood