• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Futaba Attack 27Mhz Sticks for Lunchie build?

bertberr

Been getting a bit nostalgic after rooting through the new Lunchie box the other evening, and now I'm wondering if said Lunchie would be a good recipient for my old Futaba Attack 27Mhz set...???  Am I just getting all dewy eyed over that 'lovely' plastic chrome, pull up aerial and sticks?  Would I regret it within a week and pull it all out and chuck in a GR3E and pop it on my GT3C?  I honestly can't remember how good/bad 27Mhz was now, its been so long since I last used it...

Thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Been getting a bit nostalgic after rooting through the new Lunchie box the other evening, and now I'm wondering if said Lunchie would be a good recipient for my old Futaba Attack 27Mhz set...???  Am I just getting all dewy eyed over that 'lovely' plastic chrome, pull up aerial and sticks?  Would I regret it within a week and pull it all out and chuck in a GR3E and pop it on my GT3C?  I honestly can't remember how good/bad 27Mhz was now, its been so long since I last used it...

Thoughts?

Give it a go then, what is the worst that can happen. It is not that dificult to change the radio gear over to the modern system, so if I were you, give the old one a go and if it is rubish then swap it. Simple as that

I've not long swapped mine over to 2.4ghz. The 27mhz radios were ok but sometimes lost coverage behind mud banks and trees etc. Also the antennas kept getting bent by the kids or poked in faces.

I've still got an old Attack I use occasionally when I need a spare radio and its always been fine. Actually its better than fine, its better than its ever been! The thing is 27mhz gets virtually no use these days, so interference is very limited and ranges are pretty good now. 

Don't get me wrong - modern radios are a LOT better, but 27mhz isn't dead yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissT said:

I've not long swapped mine over to 2.4ghz. The 27mhz radios were ok but sometimes lost coverage behind mud banks and trees etc. Also the antennas kept getting bent by the kids or poked in faces.

Dont think I've got any now but back in the day, we used to have ribbons attached to the top of the antenna, same colour as the crystal, to try to prevent that very problem... Still got a few nostrils though...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crystals, so annoying. Massive, easily bent aerial, so annoying. 8 x AA's, so annoying. Lots going against 27mhz but personally never had a problem with signal. When it became cheaper to buy a new 2.4 + 2 x rx's, that's when I changed.

Those massive metal aerials...............:ack::banghead::ack:

Yet strangely I miss the big sticky up aerial on the cars themselves........:@.@:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Dont think I've got any now but back in the day, we used to have ribbons attached to the top of the antenna, same colour as the crystal, to try to prevent that very problem... Still got a few nostrils though...:D

Ouch!

I have a 1984-ish Acoms dual stick set that came with the new Pajero. The antenna is about a metre long. It's in a box now :D

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Now this is proper vintage RC equipment. None of that modern 27mhz stuff.    :D

http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/early.htm

I do love the 'feeling' you get from old rc......the back story etc

Oldest model I've owned is this mk1 electrica from 1972, from before receivers even had pins (pins on servo lead etc)

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpgs-l400.jpg

Look at the size of that MSC!

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

Oops made a mistake, RC is only 120 years old. :D

Nikola Tesla in 1898 and it was an electric boat

“Renowned Serbian-American inventor Nikola Tesla created one of the world's first wireless remote controls, which he unveiled at Madison Square Garden in New York City in 1898. He called his fledgling system, which could be used to control a range of mechanical contraptions, a "teleautomaton."

John

Edited by johninderby