• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting the Tamiya bug!

300bhp/ton

Tamiyas certainly do have an appeal, although it is difficult to quantify - there is a thread on Tamiyaclub at the moment where fans are trying to put their fingers on it.

One thing is for sure though - they do tend to multiply. 

tamiyas have a nice performance to money spent aspect

i have a tt-02d with a nissan r34 shell, the details on the shell are amazing and it was pretty cheap compared to how much i have spent on my scx10ii and all the extras for it

it may not be the fastest but it performs well

tamiya club have a top speed chart which doesn't have many tt02 models on it so i might start modifying mine for speed and take part

Had loads over the years, still would if I had the room.

crude, yes, fun, definately!

although still to this day, oil filled shocks, bearings and hex hardware really need to be the normal now, you would think so anyway.....

My interest in RC was sparked when, as a child of the 70's/80's there was a lad at the top of our street a few years older that had an original Wild Willy. It was so much better than anything radio controlled I'd ever seen, and being a Tamiya it had a touch of the exotic about it too. Tamiya were the real deal.  Fast forward to the late 90's and my first actual RC was a Tamiya - a Fighter RX buggy to be precise. Loved building it, always felt it could be faster though and it was very particular about what surface you could use it on.  I then got into 'proper' RCs in the last 6 years with a few SCTs, HPI Savage etc. Bought a Lunchbox kit to build and loved it, that old tamiya magic was still there. Definitely crude and a world apart from todays RTRs but when it was built it was so much fun.  A tamiya seems to work best with the sport tuned motor and 2S lipo. The Lunchie handles that really badly which is perfect, it doesn't break but just wheelies and tumbles everywhere. The kids treat it like a pet.  Lately I've really fancied going back to where it started and getting myself a Wild Willy 2 kit. :)

Tamiya's definitely have character and are more than the sum of their parts.

• Like 1

Tamiya is where i started, Christmas 90 i got a Grasshopper 2. Now i run brushless 1/8th stuff and its a huge leap forward but i always had a place in my heart for the old Tamiya stuff from the 80's. Just before New year i bought a Tamiya Boomerang in which i'm running a brushless setup and its awesome lol.......none of my other RC's have  even been looked at since its arrival.:D

• 1 month later...

OMG. What a great conversation. Although a new member, my involvement in RC goes back to the 80's where secondhand Sand Scorchers and Rough Riders were where i started. As the years passed came the Wild Willy and Mitsubishi Pajero before the the Hornet and `Madcap. The list goes on.....

As you can tell i have  real affection for Tamiya. As i got older and dabbled in racing i looked to other makes and still run a variety of makes now. 

RTR, or almost RTR cars are now everywhere and have certainly changed the RC car industry for the better in my opinion as it is easier to get involved and start driving.

anyway, the point of this thread...

I recently, like the original author, felty a hankering to build something from scratch. As such it was always going to be a Tamiya model. I pondered for many hours over a HotShot but monoshocks in this day and age??

I finally settled on the Big Wig which was always a pretty car. I already new that even with its new dedicated motor this was never going to beat any speed records. the even the deck i decided to go brushless fitting an Absima Thrust BL Brushless Motor ands ESC. It was always going to  be LIPO so there followed a couple of 2s 4000mah 30c/60c batteries, new TX/RX (Carson) and Savox servo. The model is complete and is actually a real flyer. Am I happy? There was certainly an undeniable pleasure in the build but the cost of this model broke the £400 barrier. That figure can by you a HPI firestorm Flux or the basis of an excellent track racer. 

Will it stop me buying another Tamiya model? Of course not, but the wife might haha.

BIG WIG.jpg

The TA03 was my first hobby grade RC, bought for my 14th birthday 16 years ago. I remember building it with my dad and I still have it today - she’s no longer a runner but I’ll restore her one day! She’ll never leave my fleet. 

Im not interested in Tamiya at the moment, too many interesting developments at the other end of the spectrum. But come on, they can’t still be shipping their latest kits with plastic bushes and Phillips hardware surely?!

My first Tamiya kit was the TL-01 Alfa Romeo 155 V6Ti Bosch.

box_58195_01.jpg

Actually, I originally wanted the Toyota Corolla, in the castrol colours...

box_58218_01.jpg

...but Beatties (...aww... Beatties :crybaby: ...) only had the Alfa and the Peaugeot 306 in stock. I don't have that "wish I kept it" feeling, but I would almost-certainly buy that Alfa bodyshell, if I saw one in good nick!

As others have said, I just don't know why we love the Tamiya kits, but they stir something within us, that other makes simply don't do. I wish I could work out what it is.

I am now sad, about Beatties. :(

Edited by Praet0r87

52 minutes ago, James1986 said:

Aaaah Beatties! Ours became an 80's nightclub, quite a good one actually. I spent many hours and nights in Beatties, in both guises! 

It was better as Beatties!!! :angry:

Ours became a gym.

Still better as beatties.

22 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

It was better as Beatties!!! :angry:

Ours became a gym.

Still better as beatties.

The one in Sheffield became a maplins I thinks don’t know about the one in Meadowhall 

there was a nice one in Blackpool 

On 10/01/2018 at 15:22, MissT said:

Watch out, I bought a Tamiya as a toy for the kids and now I've got four of them!

I got a tamiya hornet in the 1980s got it out of the loft a couple of years ago to get it running again

now I have 5 more a midnight pumpkin 

a lunchbox, TL01,TT01. and a m-05

all with various body’s 

two midnight pumpkin body’s 

one lunchbox body

one Toyota body

one Dodge Charger body

one Mazda mx7 body

And one Porsche body

Neil

Edited by Hornet neil