• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 8.5 conversion kit

cpk1

I know it's probably been asked a fair few times before, can anyone recommend where to buy the motor mount kit as I can only find one place 

http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=61&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&vmcchk=1&Itemid=7

Also a good motor esc combo, not looking for anything lightning quick, just for general use and the odd track use.

Thanks

Motor mount - the hyper SSe/VSe mount fits though it's pricey.  I believe @dazp1976 is also selling CNC made mounts for Hypers now too.  Most use the losi battery tray, part number losa4461 as (in the 7 100%) it fits without modification.  I'm almost certain the sames true for the 8.5.

Esc - Hobbywing quicrun 150a or Max8.  Both are 150a uptp 6s capable, though personally 4S is where it's at in 1/8 buggy.  There's lots of fake quicruns about on eBay.  Motor wise isn't as simple - if track use means racing then you need a lower kv motor, around 1900kv in order to get the run times needed.  For bashing that kv is a little low on 4s, >2300kv is good on 4S, 2650kv ballistic.  

Hope that helps.

8 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Motor mount - the hyper SSe/VSe mount fits though it's pricey.  I believe @dazp1976 is also selling CNC made mounts for Hypers now too.  Most use the losi battery tray, part number losa4461 as (in the 7 100%) it fits without modification.  I'm almost certain the sames true for the 8.5.

Esc - Hobbywing quicrun 150a or Max8.  Both are 150a uptp 6s capable, though personally 4S is where it's at in 1/8 buggy.  There's lots of fake quicruns about on eBay.  Motor wise isn't as simple - if track use means racing then you need a lower kv motor, around 1900kv in order to get the run times needed.  For bashing that kv is a little low on 4s, >2300kv is good on 4S, 2650kv ballistic.  

Hope that helps.

Hyper 8 mount is slightly taller than the Hyper7's one and diff sits a fraction higher up I believe. Uses a different center mounting on the 8.

I bought the center bits for it but haven't drew one up for the 8 as yet.

8 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Hope that helps.

Only looking to run 4s, all this electric is new to me it's all moved on abit from my tamiya bearhawk (nice and simple very little to go wrong).

I take it steer clear of anything from china on ebay then.

24 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Hyper 8 mount is slightly taller than the Hyper7's one and diff sits a fraction higher up I believe. Uses a different center mounting on the 8.

I bought the center bits for it but haven't drew one up for the 8 as yet.

I thought all was needed was a couple shims on the 7 front diff holder to raise it up to match - I could have sworn the through chassis mounting was the same as had a 8.5 absima type mount on one of my 7's.  

1 hour ago, capri-boy said:

I thought all was needed was a couple shims on the 7 front diff holder to raise it up to match - I could have sworn the through chassis mounting was the same as had a 8.5 absima type mount on one of my 7's.  

Losi 8-E tray doesn't fit. Standard it's too long, and if you cut the ESC plate off, there still isn't enough room to fit the ESC behind.
I use some cheap battery tray from Hobbyking.

As for the motor mount, mine is from the Hyper 8 conversion, but has cut down diff-mount-posts as spacers in the chassis brace. I'm sure any hyper motor mount would work with some shimming.

[EDIT] Also, even if you did fit the Losi 8 tray, it's slightly raised off the chassis, so the shell wouldn't fit properly with "normal" sized packs.

Hobbywing quicrun 150a does fit, and the Hyper 8.5 goes like stink on 6s.

Edited by Vr5fx

14 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Losi 8-E tray doesn't fit. Standard it's too long, and if you cut the ESC plate off, there still isn't enough room to fit the ESC behind.

As for the motor mount, mine is from the Hyper 8 conversion, but has cut down diff-mount-posts as spacers in the chassis brace. I'm sure any hyper motor mount would work with some shimming.

[EDIT] Also, even if you did fit the Losi 8 tray, it's slightly raised off the chassis, so the shell wouldn't fit properly with "normal" sized packs.

I'm basing my assumptions off 7's and that 8 / 8.5 shells fit them.  I've def run a 8.5 shell on a converted 7 with a losi tray, esc tray trimmed slightly at the back - as with all conversions of the hypers it can help to raise the back shell mounting point.

EDIT: seems I had the absima tray in this one - and I can see where a 8/8.5 shell would foul using the losi tray but nothing a bit of trimming / using a 7 shell wouldn't sort?

16928541321_eefed546b6_k.jpg

So, the postage on the mount I listed is $25, won't be paying that. 

What motor would go well with the quicrun as I'm very tempted to order one.

@dazp1976 would shims work with your mount on the 8.5 ?

Edited by cpk1

41 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Do you have a close up pic of your mount ?

15 minutes ago, cpk1 said:

So, the postage on the mount I listed is $25, won't be paying that. 

What motor would go well with the quicrun as I'm very tempted to order one.

@dazp1976 would shims work with your mount on the 8.5 ?

Probably but i don't like bodges :lol:

Give me a this week and I'll look at drawing the mount. Then it's a case of a battery tray.

Mount'll be more or less exactly like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192402241324?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The measurements are listed there as well so you can assess the shim situation.

Just double check I have the right part to work from

The ones I have are:

HOBAO Plastic Center Diff Mount #88046 [Hyper 8]

&

H88045 HYPER 8 CENTRE DIFF MOUNT POST

3 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I'm basing my assumptions off 7's and that 8.5 shells fit them.  I've def run a 8.5 shell on a converted 7 with a losi tray, esc tray trimmed slightly at the back - as with all conversions of the hypers it can help to raise the back shell mounting point.

I thought the 7's shell was wider? Or is that with changing the side guards too? I only briefly had a hyper 7, so I'm basing that off (terrible) memory.

It's the front and back need raising on the 8.5, I wasn't aware you could get different mounts so that could help a lot....

So trying to keep everything in chassis this is what it kind of looks like using the Losi tray

The tray could be moved, if you cut the front left corner off (of first pic), but you'll still have height issues with standard mounts, and you'll still need to cut the rear of the tray.

The other option, would be to cut the front mount off, but then you'll be losing the only mount on the front, and you'll still need to cut the rear.

IMG_20180107_150305

IMG_20180107_150320

IMG_20180107_150424

The ESC is sitting on the rear pinholder/bulkhead wibbly wobbly

IMG_20180107_150530

IMG_20180107_150635

Front with the shell on using 5000mAh hard case LiPos pushed back as much as possible

IMG_20180107_150705

IMG_20180107_150800

13 minutes ago, cpk1 said:

Do you have a close up pic of your mount ?

IMG_20180107_152955

IMG_20180107_153006

IMG_20180107_153030

IMG_20180107_153106

I didn't notice until just now, even this one has a cut out brace to shim the center up.

The light has gone over the mount, but it just says "Hyper 8"

1 hour ago, Vr5fx said:

I thought the 7's shell was wider? Or is that with changing the side guards too? I only briefly had a hyper 7, so I'm basing that off (terrible) memory.

It's the front and back need raising on the 8.5, I wasn't aware you could get different mounts so that could help a lot....

So trying to keep everything in chassis this is what it kind of looks like using the Losi tray

The tray could be moved, if you cut the front left corner off (of first pic), but you'll still have height issues with standard mounts, and you'll still need to cut the rear of the tray.

The other option, would be to cut the front mount off, but then you'll be losing the only mount on the front, and you'll still need to cut the rear.

IMG_20180107_150305

IMG_20180107_150320

IMG_20180107_150424

The ESC is sitting on the rear pinholder/bulkhead wibbly wobbly

IMG_20180107_150530

IMG_20180107_150635

Front with the shell on using 5000mAh hard case LiPos pushed back as much as possible

IMG_20180107_150705

IMG_20180107_150800

I've never had an 8, I do know many parts interchange but not all.  But the 8 shell fit my std 7 without messing.  To raise the rear mount I bit of DIY is needed, nothing special.  IIRC there's a good example in the owners thread.

If you swung the losi tray round so it was more parallel with the centre line I think you'd squeeze the quicrun on - I've def dremelled the end of the switch mounting point off before to help things fit.  This pic might help:

17661248046_76679c6e85_k.jpg

I do remember taller hardcase packs we're a tight squeeze. but sure I ran 2x2s hardcase at some points.  We are veering off topic a little here for the OP.  

I think i may have a motor mount here for a hyper 8, Give me a sec to get some pics and i'll PM you. I brought it as a kit for a replacement battery tray for my D8 and the motor mount has just been sat in the spares box for awhile

4 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Probably but i don't like bodges :lol:

Give me a this week and I'll look at drawing the mount. Then it's a case of a battery tray.

Mount'll be more or less exactly like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192402241324?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The measurements are listed there as well so you can assess the shim situation.

Just double check I have the right part to work from

The ones I have are:

HOBAO Plastic Center Diff Mount #88046 [Hyper 8]

&

H88045 HYPER 8 CENTRE DIFF MOUNT POST

Il get the engine removed from the car and il get some pics with the measurements on, and il send them to you, most likely be next weekend now due to work. 

7 hours ago, bertberr said:

Genuine Quicrun 150 from rcmart for 55 quid free del', that's what I'd do to play it safe. 

What would be a good motor to go with this, total minefield all this electrics

As said, if running 4S, anything from 1900kv (with 19+ pinny) to 2650kv is OK, I run one with a 1900kv and 19t pinny, so I can run both 4S & 5S, and another with a 2200kv can (bigger can) that I just run on 4S.  I like the goolrc or racestar cans if you're on a tighter budget - 25 to 30 quid would get you one of these, there's an example of one on another thread at the moment, think its in the buggies section, titled HPI motor blown (or similar!).

Or HW, Leopard etc, very good but more folding obviously, and then there's Castle et al.

Just thought. I'm glad Vr5fx posted the pics.

I was going to do them mounts at the height without the brake guide piece on the posts.

Good job I didn't, the diff would probably be too low.

Cheers chap. May have saved my bacon there.

I'll have to change the drawing for the ST as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bertberr said:

As said, if running 4S, anything from 1900kv (with 19+ pinny) to 2650kv is OK, I run one with a 1900kv and 19t pinny, so I can run both 4S & 5S, and another with a 2200kv can (bigger can) that I just run on 4S.  I like the goolrc or racestar cans if you're on a tighter budget - 25 to 30 quid would get you one of these, there's an example of one on another thread at the moment, think its in the buggies section, titled HPI motor blown (or similar!).

Or HW, Leopard etc, very good but more folding obviously, and then there's Castle et al.

Something like this running 4s or would the quicrun ecs put too much power to it

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm3995.html

Yup, that would be fine with a quicrun 150, its just a std 1/8 buggy length can i.e. 68mm, truggy tend to be 74+, though in truth there's a fair degree of overlap.

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4068-KV2050-Brushless-Waterproof-Motor-for-1-8-RC-Car-Model-Vehicle-Parts/362008853915?hash=item544968bd9b:g:8KMAAOSwiQ9ZQeFa

Or this, probably the same!  https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-4068-Motor-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-18-RC-Car-Part-2650205019001700KV-p-1110650.html?rmmds=search&ID=516955&cur_warehouse=CN  There's a 2650kv version too.

Really depends on your budget.

4 hours ago, bertberr said:

Yup, that would be fine with a quicrun 150, its just a std 1/8 buggy length can i.e. 68mm, truggy tend to be 74+, though in truth there's a fair degree of overlap.

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4068-KV2050-Brushless-Waterproof-Motor-for-1-8-RC-Car-Model-Vehicle-Parts/362008853915?hash=item544968bd9b:g:8KMAAOSwiQ9ZQeFa

Or this, probably the same!  https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-4068-Motor-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-18-RC-Car-Part-2650205019001700KV-p-1110650.html?rmmds=search&ID=516955&cur_warehouse=CN  There's a 2650kv version too.

Really depends on your budget.

Just ordered the quicrun 150, now for the motor in a couple of days, when I have managed to talk my wife round.

Edited by cpk1

3 hours ago, cpk1 said:

Just ordered the quicrun 150, now for the motor in a couple of days, when I have managed to talk my wife round.

This motor might be worth a punt. Yes it's a knock off castle, but the general consensus is that they work very well.

I have a knock off castle in my Hyper MT, been golden and not skipped a beat

It's probably spot on for 4s in a buggy.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castle-Creations-Neu-Castle-1512-1Y-1-8-Brushless-Motor-2650kV-HOT-BIG-SALE/261762482459?epid=1288704008&hash=item3cf242811b:g:q3wAAOSwfVpYnd9c