• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro fuel

Raysworkz

Hi guys :D ok so I'm new to the hobby I have an sworkz rtr with a 21 engine . I'm currently using hpi 25 % but I find I can't lean out my engine and it's very very Smokey runs realy rich but doesn't like it when I try to lean it out ! I'm thinking of changing fuel  to see if this helps. Anybody got any veiws or advice please and will this even help ? Thanks in advance looking forward to hearing from you ?

How is it starting? I'm wondering if you could benefit from a different glow plug. Took me a few tries to find the right one for my engine, although depending on which engine, they make either massive or little to no difference. 

How old is the engine? Could also be a gunked up Carb, maybe a new plug and carb should see some improvements if different fuel doesn't.

Hope it helps!

Thank you for the reply ! It starts realy well first time. The engine was brand new it's done about 10ltrs of fuel up to now. I've changed plugs 3 times doesn't seem to make any difference. I've had a guy who runs my local track tune it and it still runs very rich. It's sworkz rtr  engine that came with the 350 evo I'm in 2 mind's weather or not to just buy a decent engine!! But I want to get this thing running right but I'm ruining out of options 

Hmmm I can see why you think it might be the fuel. If you're considering getting a new engine maybe you could take a gamble on some 30%, then if it does go :073: you've got an excuse to get a shiny new engine ;)

12 hours ago, Raysworkz said:

Thank you for the reply ! It starts realy well first time. The engine was brand new it's done about 10ltrs of fuel up to now. I've changed plugs 3 times doesn't seem to make any difference. I've had a guy who runs my local track tune it and it still runs very rich. It's sworkz rtr  engine that came with the 350 evo I'm in 2 mind's weather or not to just buy a decent engine!! But I want to get this thing running right but I'm ruining out of options 

Apart from the fuel mentioned above....was the engine run in OK??

Sworkz is not a bad brand of rc by any means.....they're usually race grade, or close to, spec.

3 hours ago, Raysworkz said:

Hello ? I recon no mate I'm going to try a fuel change and seal everything up and see how that goes but I'm ready to buy a new engine ? this one had a pull start on it but that's gone now I recon it's that that's causing the problem mate

Sounds like a good shout....

Also, if your running in the winter, try a cold weather plug

When running in cold winter ambient temps (single figures deg C) best to pre-warm engine to help starting. If engine running fine at summer ambient temps then no need to change glow plug imo during winter The temp term for glow plugs does not directly relate to ambient temp. But best to slightly richen needles as colder air is denser so will run a bit leaner.

3 hours ago, locky said:

The temp term for glow plugs does not directly relate to ambient temp

He could simply run a hotter plug.....

3 hours ago, locky said:

When running in cold winter ambient temps (single figures deg C) best to pre-warm engine to help starting. If engine running fine at summer ambient temps then no need to change glow plug imo during winter 

Pre warming any nitro engine should be a given....lengthens lifespan..

And I would agree that he shouldn't, per say, need a hotter plug, but o.p hasn't stated if they ran in summer as well as winter...and whether the issue was indeed present in summer vs. Winter....so we don't know how it ran in summer.. @Raysworkz???

How Did you get on with sealing her up and swapping fuel????

Thanks guys it was broken in during cold weather only a few months ago !! I don't think it's fully broken in yet ! Although it's been ran a fair bit . I brought a new engine last night as this engine had a pull start on it but was snapped off by a helpful guy down the track. So I just silicone the hole up and now it starts from a starter box. I'm thinking that could have something to do with it as well ? 

5 hours ago, Raysworkz said:

So I just silicone the hole up and now it starts from a starter box

Please elaborate...which hole do you mean dude??

You could just take the pull start and bearing off altogether.....??

The plastic pull start is not airtight anyway, its the backplate it screws onto that should be airtight

HPI fuel used to be the same as Optifuel and that was always known to be very smokey. Having used Optifuel quite a lot in the past, you can't tune by smoke. You might be at the best state of tune but the smoke convinces you otherwise. You think you need to lean out but actually it's at the sweet spot.

Easiest option is switch to byrons. You won't notice a massive difference but it will be less smokey and will give a tiny boost.

Hey guys just wanted to give you some news!  I just ran my buggy using byrons fuel and it's cured all my problems ? i was even able to lean it out and put a nice tune on it it's now much faster and way less smoke !! So looks like it was the fuel after all !! Thanks for all your advice and input defiantly won't be using hpi again !! 

• Like 1