• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc for sand/dune bashing suggestions

kazino

Looking to buy an rc that will hold up well to use to bashing on seaside beach sand and sand dunes. 

Let me know your suggestions please.

I currently have an xmaxx, baja, mt4g3, axial yeti xl, kyosho mp6 nitro, but I'm currently based in the USA for a bit so won't have access to them and will bring whatever I purchase back home, so something to compliment the rest of them would be ideal 

Edited by kazino

Id go for something 2wd with a rear motor like a rustler or something?

Less places for the sand to get, not rebuilding 3 diffs every week etc.

I bought a baja from a guy that lived near a beach, looked great on the outside but EVERYTHING was full of sand when taking it apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

I'm getting a Lunchbox for xmas (or so I hope...:D) for that very purpose.  With the rigid rear axle, lack of driveshafts/outdrive cups etc, it seems like the perfect rig for this.  

Mine washed out ok after it's couple of sandy outings. And it was really good fun :lol:

My two beach bashers are an HPI Wheelie King and a Kyosho Blizzard. 

The Wheelie King handles sand dunes really well, its a tall truck like the Lunchbox but 4wd so doesn't get bogged down and the crawler style drivetrain copes with the sand well. Salt water is a problem but I've found the best solution is to stick it in the bath to wash out the salt and then drown in wd40. Its worked for the last 3 years.....

The Blizzard is best kept away from the water as its not as well sealed, but being tracked nothing stops it. Mines just been upgraded to brushless waiting for the winter snow. 

4 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Great minds and all that. I use a shower head in the bath to rinse mine off.

I took a can of water from our camping things and sloshed them off then sprayed them before they went in the boot. It seems to have worked as well, they're not rusty anywhere :)

• Like 1

On 04/12/2017 at 18:57, kazino said:

Looking to buy an rc that will hold up well to use to bashing on seaside beach sand and sand dunes. 

Let me know your suggestions please.

I currently have an xmaxx, baja, mt4g3, axial yeti xl, kyosho mp6 nitro, but I'm currently based in the USA for a bit so won't have access to them and will bring whatever I purchase back home, so something to compliment the rest of them would be ideal 

Ever thought about building a custom RC for the purpose??