• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ftx outback ranger.

Gaz!

Hi, thought I would start this thread as a log as well as somewhere to explain my findings, etc.

so after a trip to a semi local model shop (pbm) came back with this little haul,

C0_F1974_A-72_F2-4052-_A062-_EC69_ED3688

oil and driver tips were mine and the ftx outlaw for my 6 year old daughter, she is disabled and gets bored when out with Rc, so what better way to relieve boredom and get her started.

now I picked this model for a few reasons, it looks like a landy, relatively cheap, and gives me a chance to do my own findings and somewhere to put them.

so, popped the seals,

FF43_EE42-_B547-4020-9362-_C53679706499.

Then proceeded to open the box, this is the view I was greeted with,

ED40_FBEC-_A323-4494-_AB9_B-9_D959_B2_A2

so, am I missing something here? Minimal protection in the box and no protective film on the shell, must have come from the manufacturers like that then?

bynow my plan was to swap all the battery/esc connectors to ec3 and came across these scratches, now the pics are not the best but it looks bloody awful!

6_FBF26_CB-_DFBA-43_FD-8010-805_E9_C7_B5

C4_DABE20-8890-45_D9-8_EDB-_A95_EB2_B7_E

68_DBEDF3-5908-4092-9909-3_F0_B09534_FE5

4_EC95126-7_B63-43_B4-_A732-_BB7_D329429

now here is the kicker.....

do I return it to shop? Live with it (can’t see the little one happy opening this up to find it looks battered before she starts?) or would it be worth contacting ftx directly or the distributors (dont know who) and sharing this with them?

on a plus note, it came with alloy c-hubs so that a good start.

overall though, i feel a little disappointed. Yes it’s cheap (£135 I paid) but it looks cheap and nasty when opening the box and the lack of some sort of body protection is a joke.

in the end I didn’t bother changing connectors, I shall leave that now and see which direction to go.

thanks for looking, gaz.

I wouldn’t be happy to buy something and see them scratches on it,regardless if it was £135 or £1.35!

you have brought something new and it’s not unreasonable to expect it to at least look newish!

i recently brought a ftx mauler and that was just sat in the box,not fixed down or covered,maybe it’s a ftx way of keeping things cheap.

on a side note very impressed with the mauler,great bit of kit and build quality looks pretty decent :-)

Looks pretty much the same as this one John, it just might have slipped through the net packaging wise but the scratches are unacceptable to be honest as a lack of packaging around it means it was like that when fitted to the chassis I Presume?

we shall see...

• 2 months later...

So, little update,

the grey shell although a landy lookalike (if you squint a bit) just wasn’t cutting it.

clear shell and decals from modelsport and sprayed with Tamiya ps29 fluo pink.

8_F3_A24_D1-7_F98-4_ECF-961_F-44_ADE7_D6

FFCAA53_A-_EC8_B-4_B0_B-9279-499741_C2_C

40880_B70-40_D0-4_B8_D-8855-922_A8_D10_E

i have to say though, the quality is shocking, the new shell is paper thin at the rear, window masks and window decals are miles out and the stickers are ok, didn’t use them all though.

up to yet, not that impressed with it.....maybe I’ve been spoilt in the past :whistling:

33 minutes ago, heavyleftthumb said:

i've not heard good things about these buddy.... motors, gearboxes made from cheese........cue the lovers to come and bash me over my words......

Lmao, yeah I’ve suffered the wrath of the flysky lovers.....

honestly mate  I don’t think it will matter too much (unless she really gets into Rc) but I’m glad it’s not one of my runners again “cheap for a reason”

time will tell though...

leave them to it pal. there will always be hater of whatever we use or run...... i know what i like......no worries just though id give you heads up, there are mod about where people have been converting SCX gearboxes and maverick across but that kind of defeats the cheap runner/basher.

im sure youll sort it as you go along.  i bet shes well chuffed.

• Like 1

Other than “real” electrics it will get stuff as it breaks.

other than a few scale bits and bobs strapped to it, the weight shouldn’t change too much for her to notice just yet.

just need to talk the mrs. round into having a Rc now....:ph34r:

On 16/01/2018 at 21:02, RC4WD fan said:

I think you should paint your TRX-4 the same colour mate :36_11_6[1]:

Only just seen this, erm erm you buy me a clear shell and I’ll happily use it in pink :whistling: there is actually a hot pink defender with black tiger stripes locally, seen it a few times now, youngish lass driving it. It gets the little one excited every time she see it :insane:

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

Only just seen this, erm erm you buy me a clear shell and I’ll happily use it in pink :whistling: there is actually a hot pink defender with black tiger stripes locally, seen it a few times now, youngish lass driving it. It gets the little one excited every time she see it :insane:

Only if I can use it too :D 

this pink defender is it a Chelsea tractor or dose it look like it goes off road ? I've seen plenty of pink rang rovers but to do it to a defender :smilies_eusasmiles2: pretty driver or not :lol: