• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Protech Promax RS B.less conversion

Fly In My Soup

Yuuup, the white piece underneath is a piece of balsa with two holes in it

Bodgetastic!

In all seriousness though, it was done so it can obviously be removed quickly etc etc

Carbon fibre wrap will soon cover most the body anyway

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

Just now, Fly In My Soup said:

Yuuup, the white piece underneath is a piece of balsa with two holes in it

Bodgetastic!

In all seriousness though, it was done so it can obviously be removed quickly etc etc

Yeah, makes a lot of sense to me. I have no problem with cable ties. You can fix most things with cable ties and duct tape.

• Like 1

Quick video today

What a nightmare of a run session today, the protech had a few minor issues, my action cam had no battery, grrrr, and GPS had hissy fit and won't work at all (had to quickly get an old Nokia lumia phone and strap it to the rig with three gps apps running)

I wiped out quite badly, see vid, and then.....I get back to my case to realise I've lost my Mercedes key (£300 to replace ) after searching for 2 HOURS, stripping the car etc etc, I eventually got help from a friendly local who went home to get his metal detector (alloy bodied electronic key) he found it in 15 minutes close to where I was running the car!!!!

Its a short vid, couldn't be bothered really , I'm getting fed up of having nowhere suitable to run......an old national speed limit road is not the place!!!!

Still, with a 26t pinion fitted I hit 81mph today....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Quick video today

What a nightmare of a run session today, the protech had a few minor issues, my action cam had no battery, grrrr, and GPS had hissy fit and won't work at all (had to quickly get an old Nokia lumia phone and strap it to the rig with three gps apps running)

I wiped out quite badly, see vid, and then.....I get back to my case to realise I've lost my Mercedes key (£300 to replace ) after searching for 2 HOURS, stripping the car etc etc, I eventually got help from a friendly local who went home to get his metal detector (alloy bodied electronic key) he found it in 15 minutes close to where I was running the car!!!!

Its a short vid, couldn't be bothered really , I'm getting fed up of having nowhere suitable to run......an old national speed limit road is not the place!!!!

Still, with a 26t pinion fitted I hit 81mph today....

Sounds like you had few issues out there today. Good you found the key in the end though, better than losing it.

Video still looks good. It seems pretty tough and very fast. Stop breaking the speed limit along there!

9 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Lol that's funny:yahoo:

Devon's solitary policeman must be busy .....doing ...something!!

I believe that 81mph is over the limit enough to get you into a lot of trouble if you are caught!

A few ideas I had that may help handling a bit (Or you may have already thought about and not done for a reason).

I would set the exponential on a the radio so that your movementshave a smaller effect on the car in the near neutral range (not sure if that is positive or negative.)

Also, you haev robably thought about it but could you get any grippier tyres for it?

4 hours ago, Zannu said:

would set the exponential on a the radio so that your movementshave a smaller effect on the car in the near neutral range (not sure if that is positive or negative.)

Also, you haev robably thought about it but could you get any grippier tyres for it?

Cheers dude...but I already gave the steering epa a tweak many times...I was down to 20% on the last run on video

The servo is really sensitive as well which doesn't help (ripmax quartz)

And the tyres are semi slick type radial, ( hong nor power grip), that I pre warm with a homemade tyre heaters.....:P

The problem, I think is based on a few things, the model is large and heavy, and the power of the motor....

Its basically torque steering, anyone ever driven a high bhp front wheel drive car?? , its the power that's making things squirly, even if I'm cruising say round 40mph and then gun the rest of the throttle travel its just battering the torque through the tyres and thus to the road....that coupled with the weight increase from a 1/10 or 1/8 rc is giving me the handling issues...

Solution for that, i hope, is too gear up massively from the 24/26 pinion to a 30/32....thus altering my power curve, longer "spool up", reduced torque , more high end rpm...

That will be the next go to part to try after I've finished some other projects.....I'll need a new place to run too....maybe one of the old dunkerswell airfield runways near RcOctane (finchy)

11 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Cheers dude...but I already gave the steering epa a tweak many times...I was down to 20% on the last run on video

The servo is really sensitive as well which doesn't help (ripmax quartz)

And the tyres are semi slick type radial, ( hong nor power grip), that I pre warm with a homemade tyre heaters.....:P

The problem, I think is based on a few things, the model is large and heavy, and the power of the motor....

Its basically torque steering, anyone ever driven a high bhp front wheel drive car?? , its the power that's making things squirly, even if I'm cruising say round 40mph and then gun the rest of the throttle travel its just battering the torque through the tyres and thus to the road....that coupled with the weight increase from a 1/10 or 1/8 rc is giving me the handling issues...

Solution for that, i hope, is too gear up massively from the 24/26 pinion to a 30/32....thus altering my power curve, longer "spool up", reduced torque , more high end rpm...

That will be the next go to part to try after I've finished some other projects.....I'll need a new place to run too....maybe one of the old dunkerswell airfield runways near RcOctane (finchy)

Ok, fair enough. I thought it was worth mentioning just in case you had not thought about things like that. I still feel like if you had a transmitter with exponential that would make a significant difference whilst still allowing you a decent turning circle. Not that it will cause an issue have very little turning, just spin the wheels up a bit

Guessing there is not much you can do to counter the torque steer then. Sounds like the much higher gearing would help. You really just need to get a smaller motor. This is one of the rare times I will actually say that!

Edited by Zannu

Just now, Fly In My Soup said:

I do....I use a kyosho synchro tx for this.....with 2 separate steering adjustments, epa and dual rate

But they are still different to exponential. As you know epa and dual rate set how far the wheels move for the movement on the transmitter, but the exponential changes the response from being linear to an exponential curve. This means that near the neutral range 1mm of movement(on tx) would be say 1mm of wheel movement, whereas at full steering 1mm of movement (on tx) would equate to 3 or 4mm of wheel movement. Basically when set up the right way for you, it is a lot less sensitive near straight but still gives you a tighter turning circle as it get's more responsive at extremes. This mean you could make very fine adjustments when running quickly by small movements near straight and then when you go to turn, you still get a tigt steering angle.

Just and idea that might help make it easier to make small changes.

This sort of shows it as a graph. A normal transmitter will have 0 expo, so is a linear/straight line

setting-Expo.gif

• Like 1

Yeah I get you, may help with the sensitivity of the coreless servo.

my old radio link 4ch has it, screen half bled out though so its very hard to see what your doing.!!! 

I may invest soon in another tx, god knows its been a while since I've had a new one!, excuse to treat myself!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Yeah I get you, may help with the sensitivity of the coreless servo.

my old radio link 4ch has it, screen half bled out though so its very hard to see what your doing.!!!

I may invest soon in another tx, god knows its been a while since I've had a new one!, excuse to treat myself!!

Yep, that was my thought. It would just give you finer control when making the slight tweaks needed to try and stop it from spinning out.

Always good to get a new one. Does not need to be expensive though. I have an Absima CR3P that has it and is really good. GT3B or c also has expo I believe.

• 3 years later...