• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

KM Triton Blade 5B

willb

Having seen this car in action yesterday, it's a bargain at the current price. Great idea for it to have a clear shell for owners to be creative.

Edited by QRC

you really cant go wrong with km 1/5th scales, they really have improved from just the clones they where years ago. Iv been kicked off pretty much every bash spot iv found around my neck of the woods, otherwise id be on the rcmodelz website now ordering a triton, they look epic!! 

Thanks all :)

Little update: the first proper run was good. It does have oodles of power so you can really get the back out on bends which is always fun! This engine has a new type of pullstart which I haven't seen before. I'll post some pictures up as I had an issue when it wouldn't engage. There are a couple of sprung lugs on the fan itself which engage and bite into the pullstart choke, however, they became full of crap (no cover fitted yet) and were forced closed hence why the pullstart wouldn't engage. A quick fix, but something worth noting. I'll fit all covers, pullstart, engine and a better air filter cover.

The need for the sway bar kit is a must too. It does like to dip quite a bit on fast corners. £9.99 for the sway bar kit which you can't grumble at. I'll fit that this week and see if it makes a difference.

Other than that, not really much more to report - so far so good :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I find the less grip you have at the front, the less grip roll you get, I always use Dirt Busters or Mini MXs... Putting MXs on there definitely adds more grip roll.

Front springs are fine as standard, but the rears defnitely improve a lot with the stiffer ones :) it soaks up the lumps and bumps a lot better too.

• Like 1

Sadly I had the first mishap at the weekend. I was finishing the engine brake-in procedure and a drive cup failed on the diff side, it broke on one side. Quite disappointing seeing as I haven't even pushed this yet. And I don't want to start doubting KM's parts quality... Shall be calling RCM and see what they say. I took the axle extenders off too, so can't even blame them for the extra stress!

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought the Blade from Will, who was a delight to deal with, and thought I would follow up on the modifications to make it really tough and ready for the weekend bash at Jubilee park with the London All Stars. Everyone that shows up has at least 2 5th scales, I was left wanting......

Having a very modded 5B already and a shed load of spares, the car was built up pretty bullet proof and nothing left to bolt onto it, I thought I would start again and really liked the Cage and Shell design of the blade, and fancied going back to light weight basics with this new 34cc motor

Its had a quick run, and this is what I have done to prep the car with (IMO) the 'Must Have' updates to eliminate all the stuff I used to break all the time with the other car.

1) 2 inch extenders went on the back courtesy of Will, the 4inch rears are of no use, but the fronts give just the right width at the back without killing the bearings

2) Clipless front hubs were a must

3) Irc chassis plate under the front

4) TBone bumper (well half of it fits nicely) - no need for the support bit as it is close to the oem bumper for support

5) The KM servo's seem amazingly competent compared to what was on my car 5 years ago - 6v fine for now - had a 5600nimh to stick in.

6) Sorted the front steering with the threshold steering saver - the KM wiper arm pillars are too thick - so had to grind them down & Used washers and a bolt to bring the ball up higher for more positive steering response

7) Home made dog bone guards, chopped up plastic container - cable ties, keeps the grass off them

8) The servo rod thread is too small for the end screw on the breaks, so used double collet for safety - easier to adjust too

9) Strategic placement of sponge keeps a lot of the car lighter and cleaner - especially under the crank case

10) Rebuilt the shocks, using 3 hole pistons, 40wt silicone, took a while, and decided to use one front spring instead of the oem double type - as the plastic ring always gets cruddy and fouls on the shock. 2 hole pistons and 55wt on the front - they had to be bled from both ends, but now feel really close to the IRC shocks on the other car. I'm chuffed with them. - Shock straps will go on soon to protect my work

11) Found a cheap (bit too big but fine) rear 10mm sleeve for the upper arms, which is a regular break to avoid.

12) I had a vertigo hex clutch bell with all the gears and hostile spurs, so will try 18/56 out next.

13) did away with the 10K clutch spring - in favour of a 6K, I hate the 10K on off power delivery - really makes the car too much of a handful.

14) Got rid of the flying start middle disk between the brake disks and put a 3rd disk in place  - those star things break real easy.

15) Some Big Knobbly mad max truck tyres on the back are on the way, and I am good to go.

Anyway thanks Will, I hope you have fun with your Losi (BTW - the only way to get them to feel really quick is to get a £1500 big bore motor) ;) - See you at Jubilee soon I hope :thumbsup:

2017-09-30_16_32_42.jpg

2017-10-10_19_22_30.jpg

2017-10-10_19_22_42.jpg

2017-10-10_19_22_48.jpg

2017-10-10_19_23_00.jpg

2017-10-10_19_23_22.jpg

2017-10-10_19_23_28.jpg

2017-10-10_19_24_13.jpg

• Like 1

Nice...:good:..so hes got a 5ive now then??isthat a baja t bone??or from sumin else??

No it a half a baja tbone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its just the bottom bit of the bumper  - I  did away with the top bit that bridges the top of the bumper to the chassis - no need as there is already another bumper under it! Hope that makes sense??