• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

I've not had any issues with the 3 traxxas mini servos in my TRX4 that run the diffs and gearbox. I did make sure to set the end points carefully with my radio (FS-GT5) so that they aren't sat putting any force into the spring loaded actuators which might be the thing helping me. Unless it's just luck and I've jinxed myself by saying this so will have them all die next time I go out.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

This is what I’m worried about when I install the diff lockers and 2 speed I’ve got the Bluetooth module I’m hoping I can adjust the end points on the mini servos so not to have them under constant strain 

I am going to investigate this today and will let you know

Ok just been looking at this, i dont think the end points can be adjusted on the little servos with the control app or the button pressing thing on the transmitter, it would be good if i am proven wrong as it would def be a plus. With big ginge suggestion above i did think about this using my flysky  control but its only a 3 channel- gt3c, it would all or nothing with low range and diffs locked so thats of no use 

076029BF-3902-4AEC-B471-D67630688068.png

Edited by wolfie1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Ok just been looking at this, i dont think the end points can be adjusted on the little servos with the control app or the button pressing thing on the transmitter, it would be good if i am proven wrong as it would def be a plus. With big ginge suggestion above i did think about this using my flysky  control but its only a 3 channel- gt3c, it would all or nothing with low range and diffs locked so thats of no use 

076029BF-3902-4AEC-B471-D67630688068.png

Well that was a waste of more of my money 🤣 have found these https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=19027&gclid=CjwKCAjw8-OhBhB5EiwADyoY1VEZHqb0upINudGUSL0POvQjMFDKhcP-EQ6v4TzartXzyEZo_aMzUhoCy3IQAvD_BwE would add a lot of unnecessary wires though 🤔

Interesting, but is it waterproof. I just wonder if its just the cheap plastic gears in the traxxas ones that go and the upgraded power hd servos would take it. You havent wasted your cash, i bought the transmitter phone mount and you get all the angles shown on your phone and with the telemetry wire temp and battery voltage which is way cool as well as turning on and off hi/low beam on the headlights and roof light plus heaps of other cool stuff, is it needed-not really, is it cool to have- most definitely.

I wonder if you got in contact with shapeways someone could 3d print a set of metal gears for the traxxas servo, i got gears made my savage xl gearbox when none could be got anywhere a few years back and they were a success albeit a bit bigger

Edited by wolfie1

10 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Interesting, but is it waterproof. I just wonder if its just the cheap plastic gears in the traxxas ones that go and the upgraded power hd servos would take it. You havent wasted your cash, i bought the transmitter phone mount and you get all the angles shown on your phone and with the telemetry wire temp and battery voltage which is way cool as well as turning on and off hi/low beam on the headlights and roof light plus heaps of other cool stuff, is it needed-not really, is it cool to have- most definitely.

I wonder if you got in contact with shapeways someone could 3d print a set of metal gears for the traxxas servo, i got gears made my savage xl gearbox when none could be got anywhere a few years back and they were a success albeit a bit bigger

Yeah I know it’s not wasted money and I’m planning on getting the traxxas light kit and possibly the temp sensor and gps and can use it for other RC’s I’ll see how long the stock mini servos last if they fail I’ll invest in the power HD ones 👍

Had a look at the App last night and there doesnt appear to be an EPA for the wee servos just a normal or reverse option 

There is EPA for steering and throttle tho

As i said earlier so far ive had no probs with them yet and my TRX4 and TRX6 are over a year old now and were quite well used last summer 

3 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Err unfortunately yes 

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Err unfortunately yes 

🤦‍♂️bloody hell £145 for some lights with fancy features 🙄 is it really worth it or even needed ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

to be honest thats up to you mate and yes i do use most of the features it gives 

I don’t mind paying that but have to ask myself would you use it 🤔I’m not 100% sure I would that’s why I’m looking at alternatives 

Fair comment mate 

Only reason i went that route was the cheaper light kits kept changing mode on me so got the Traxxas light kit and then found out i needed that other kit as well 

To say i was a bit miffed at time would be understating it lol :rofl:

ps there is a Traxxas basic light kit that gives front rear lights for TRX4 and its good bit cheaper 

Edited by Stormbringer

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Fair comment mate 

Only reason i went that route was the cheaper light kits kept changing mode on me so got the Traxxas light kit and then found out i needed that other kit as well 

To say i was a bit miffed at time would be understating it lol :rofl:

So would I 🤣 

I messaged the seller of this light kit and they said they have the instructions in English https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313495448991?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IZ74B9pvRxm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY I’m on the fence about it 🤔

been looking around and have decided to wait for the light kit won’t need it for a while now with the days getting longer I’ve been looking for light buckets for the defender to mount 3/5mm led’s but all come from American can’t be asked for the wait and probably customs 🙄

So i have been thinking about this for a wee while now, so decided to buy longer shox the same length as the long arm kit, so bought these Absima ones but thought the springs were too stiff (but testing will have to be carried out to 100 % say for definite) so i had a rumage through a parts box and found a set of slightly softer springs from what no idea and put these in instead so will try these first and go from there. If this goes to plan i will try some larger wheels and tyres, i really want to try them ones you pump up

A85B3CDF-280A-47DE-9547-4071B3D5E8D5.jpeg

B6A9A014-23ED-4154-91AE-C83E37C93F04.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok decided to go back to the original springs that came with the shocks, they actually are perfect, now i do not understand what the point of the long arm lift kit at £170 is as £30 worth of shocks lifted it without an issue, hardest bit was swapping the metal ball joints from the traxxas shocks to the absima ones and even that wasnt difficult.

whats the thoughts on cheap ebay wheel and tyre sets? I am looking at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354255334555?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gxeupwl4sb2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=623641757632&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY i use mine as trail truck as opposed to rock crawling

Edited by wolfie1

I’d keep my money! These are 140 mm so taller and the same price for 4.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/fastrax-1-10-crawler-granite-22-scale-wheel-140mm-tyre-425368

More thoughts? The  standard Canyon trails are ace and come in 2.2 flavour too maybe worth a go, or as a sideways approach I like these 2.2 Jetkos - i reckon they’d be good on a trail truck?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/wheels-tyres/wheels-tyre-sets/jetko/28/12mm-hex?&sort=PriceLow

Gmade also do some large 2.2’s?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/gmade-22-mt-2202-off-road-tyres-2--432895

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 1

I did see that proline also make a set of 140mm diameter 1.9 tyres, well i bought a set anyways, lets just see how rubbish they are and then i can say i did science! 🤣

So i did run into a couple of snags with just slapping on some longer shocks, it made the single link at the front that runs in the same direction as main arms too short and made the diff sit weird and the prop shaft very clunky, slackened the rod 3 turns on each ball joint so 6 turns in total and this sorted the issue out and the steering arm was now past its maximum free movement so was binding up on the arm, i spaced the rod down from the servo with an  old ball joint from a Cen monster truck and again this fixed that issue.

Also my order of a replacement micro servo arrived so i swapped that out, well i got 3 servos and swapped them all, so hopefully that will never happen again, i did also get a replacement gear set for the duff servo so will change that at some point and have 3 spares that hopefully i will never need, so all  in a good day and going out for dinner tonight with some friends to top out a lovely sunny day

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

The 2.2 and 1.9 canyons have the same diameter its just the hole for the wheels that are diferent

I think there might be a third option now as the high trail trx4 come with some 135mm 2.2” tires which look a lot like the original 1.9 canyon trails. 

• Like 2