• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Just fixed my biggest gripe (so far) with my TRX. 

I finally replaced the awful stock radio. I'm not gonna say "it drives entirely different now!!!1" - but having a throttle curve and more importantly a decent trigger compared to the awfulness of the factory radio, it's like.. 

13315021.jpg

Took a little to get the radio set up (and receiver/expander fitted into the factory receiverbox), but absolutely worth it. And with 8 channels i've got plenty spare now too for lights and a winch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Am brand new to crawling and have been watching lots of YouTube to decide what to get. I ended up getting a TRX-4 Sport Assembly Kit, added a HW1080 ESC, the standard Titan 550 (am hoping that isn't a mistake but a Holmes Hobbies can always be added), steel bead locks, and front brass portal covers. Have just finished the build so my first crawl will be this weekend.

Looking forward to crawling and hopefully meeting some other people into this at some events in the UK.

Carl 

TRX4-4-sml-profile.jpg

• 2 months later...

Received a load of MS vouchers for birthday and Christmas so finally treated myself to one of these! :) 

Also bought the Traxxas light kit which i'll hopefully get fitted in the next day or 2

49288100222_41e68ec573_k.jpg

49296399666_6ffc6b8e0b_k.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, James1986 said:

Received a load of MS vouchers for birthday and Christmas

Wait MS do vouchers?

Edit: I should've only asked father crimbo for MS vouchers

Edited by fnknan

You'll enjoy it mate. 

And yeah, MS, wheelspin etc do vouchers. You just have to contact them if you have multiple vouchers (at least in case of wheelspin, not sure about MS), since you can only add one voucher per order. But you can just call them, and they combine all your vouchers into one. 

Edited by m4inbrain

5 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

You'll enjoy it mate. 

And yeah, MS, wheelspin etc do vouchers. You just have to contact them if you have multiple vouchers (at least in case of wheelspin, not sure about MS), since you can only add one voucher per order. But you can just call them, and they combine all your vouchers into one. 

Cheers dude, can't wait to drive it for the first time!

I think I had 6 vouchers in total, added them all to my order at checkout on the website - then paid the balance via the usual methods. Works a charm!

17 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Either way, why wait with the first drive - it's waterproof, just go out with it. :D

True, I'm not usually one to wait to take a new rig out either! Firstly, all my packs run XT90's and I have almost zero confidence in Traxxas ESC's - those in my Slash and X-Maxx smoked almost before even plugging the pack in. I've got a HW 1080 due today which has never let me down and an XT90 to solder to it. I also want to get the light kit set up before it's first run! A few jobs to do and not much time to do it over this time of year. Hopefully get it sorted in the next couple o' days! I've already added extra grease to the portal gears and diff rings - once the above bits have been done it'll be out there in all weathers! :)

5 minutes ago, James1986 said:

True, I'm not usually one to wait to take a new rig out either! Firstly, all my packs run XT90's and I have almost zero confidence in Traxxas ESC's - those in my Slash and X-Maxx smoked almost before even plugging the pack in. I've got a HW 1080 due today which has never let me down and an XT90 to solder to it. I also want to get the light kit set up before it's first run! A few jobs to do and not much time to do it over this time of year. Hopefully get it sorted in the next couple o' days! I've already added extra grease to the portal gears and diff rings - once the above bits have been done it'll be out there in all weathers! :)

To be fair: the ESC in the TRX4 actually works well and is sturdy. I just replaced it because i wanted a different motor (went with a Holmes) - thought then might as well chuck it in. I took a perfectly working system out of the TRX though, didn't replace it because it was necessary, just because.. well, i wanted. 

Of course the 1080 is just the better ESC, more programming etc. 

You'll enjoy it, i'm certain. It's a great RC. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally ran this briefly for the first time yesterday, only for about 15mins or so as I was practicing at the track!

First impressions were great  - this thing's so much more capable than my SCX10.2. It rarely got hung up on anything and if it struggled to mount an obstacle, just remotely locked the diffs and off it went :)

It's a little top heavy with the body but I just see that as a challenge to overcome whilst driving - I see some of the guys stateside are removing the roof rack to reduce the high-up weight but if anything I want to attach a few scale accessories to it!

Brilliant little thing and the light kit finishes it off nicely IMO

49351708358_9fa3def9f3_k.jpg

49352369037_ccee6fa71d_k.jpg

• Like 3

That is a fun course to crawl :)

I managed to overturn on the rocks there and now my new body has its first scars, lol

truck-1280x720.jpg

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

What lightbaris that? Are you running 3s?

It's the traxxas light bar Dan. You can either buy it as part of the kit (headlights, rear lights etc) or separately: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-led-light-bar-kit-rigid-only-trx-4/rc-car-products/425064

This one includes the power supply: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-led-light-bar-kit-rigid-with-power-supply-trx-4/rc-car-products/425063

And yes, 3s! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Are you running 3s?

I meant to add Dan, the light bar has a switchable brightness level through a little switch on the back - in the photos above it's in the dim mode. I was on a long run and wanted to preserve battery :good:

2 hours ago, James1986 said:

I meant to add Dan, the light bar has a switchable brightness level through a little switch on the back - in the photos above it's in the dim mode. I was on a long run and wanted to preserve battery :good:

That's what I was curious about, but didn't want to appear to be being hard on it just because it's Traxxas lol.

Do you have a picture of it in full mode?

I'm sure their are images available online but you never know if they've been tampered with to be brighter.

• 2 months later...

The lad and I took the defender and the sport out today for our first blast in a while.  

A 5 minute walk up the road and then out across the trails for nearly 2 hours to help escape all the coronavirus doom and gloom. So thankful to  be living in the countryside right now. 

Stay safe everyone. 

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So today I received my new TRX4 Body, wasn't happy with the Jeep Axial shell. 

Decided on the Bronco, gotta say it looks way better in person. 

I want to get some more suitable wheels as I hate with a passion the FTX -esque wheels. 

Can't decide at the moment if I want to put the red or sunset decals on yet. 

Awaiting inner fenders for the bronco so the front axle is not sprung yet but happy!

00100tr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST202006261529

• Like 1