• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Erm, well I certainly have thought about removing it (jake is currently running his without a spare) but long term plan is a 3d printed fake wheel with a cover on.

i personally like the look with the rear wheel, yes it does upset handling though....saying that, mine weighs in at a fair old chunk now, I bet.

Added some boom racing shocks with the internal springs to my tactical, its got a lot of green alloy now incl front rear portals and alloy axles, tires look like they need pumped up lol, should grip like hell

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, just rolling said:

Added some boom racing shocks with the internal springs to my tactical, its got a lot of green alloy now incl front rear portals and alloy axles, tires look like they need pumped up lol, should grip like hell

Do you have any pics of your axles and any links buddy? Any fitment issues?

4 hours ago, norcoforever said:

Do you have any pics of your axles and any links buddy? Any fitment issues?

Hi, these are the shocks https://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=99512&pid=1

i filled them with just 10wt oil and fitted the hard springs, there super smooth, i used the stock screws for the top and about 2mm of fuel tubing as there was a gap, shorter screw included in kit plus washer on the lower, hopefully get to try it soon

these are 100mm, sure stock is 90mm, i wanted to try a little more

Edited by just rolling
added info

Well, after some thinking and umming and aarring, I've made a start on the 'spare' landy shell... 

DSC_0092

Ready? ? 

Whoops 

DSC_0093

DSC_0094

Going to cut back off to make rear of cab and sort something for the 'pick up' bit soon as I get 5 and my bits arrive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davy Crockett said:

Well, after some thinking and umming and aarring, I've made a start on the 'spare' landy shell... 

DSC_0092

Ready? ? 

Whoops 

DSC_0093

DSC_0094

Going to cut back off to make rear of cab and sort something for the 'pick up' bit soon as I get 5 and my bits arrive 

I like this idea :yes: but what are you going to do about the body posts for the back as you've cut them off ? 

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

I wouldn’t have the nerve to cut one up.

they do look good though with the cab back though. :good:

keep the the updates coming mate :good:

When I decided I was doing it, i was unsure I had the nerve to not make a complete hash. I only did it as I had no other use for the shell, it's got some battle scars and not worth anything. 

I'm going to keep the lovely red shell for gentle (ish) running and the grey as a user. I've ordered another exo cage for the double cab build and have some decisions to make on where the build is going! :)

I'll post updates when I make progress :D

• Like 1

The trx4 is nowhere near as detailed as the gelande 2 but on the flip side the gelande 2 is no where near as capable as the trx4.

they are a fantastic bit of kit though (trx4) worth every penny in my opinion.

if true to “scale” is the plan then the gelande will always come out on top, but if your looking for capabilities to match the real thing, the trx4 is the way to go.

2 very different scale trucks but both worthy of wearing the green oval :good:

7 minutes ago, gti power said:

Hi I've been considering another scale Defender after regrettably selling my scx-10 I have been looking at a rc4wd gelande as It was more suited to a scale defender how do these compare? 

I'm in the fortunate position to own both at the same time. The trx4 as standard is not a scale and it isn't easy to get a land rover body and make it look scale. The gelande is by very definition absolutely a scaler but will never be as capable either. 

20180112_16052920180112_16053520180112_16053920180112_160546

10 minutes ago, gti power said:

I thought this may be the answer. 

How would you say it compares compared to a scx-10 in terms of capability? 

I've never personally driven an scx10 but seen plenty run and with the right tyres the gelande wouldn't be a million miles behind. The main limitation is the scale body which is rather heavy. I think if you want scale you have to accept it won't be as capable as an out and out crawler if that makes sense 

I'm no 'expert' but very much my personal opinion...

Ive had SCX10 and there are many axial die hards on here, I loved mine and will probably have another. I have a TF2 which I think is great. They are very scale but capable rigs, think 1/10 scale and would a 1:1 4x4 get up a 1m step, 100mm in scale terms? The scx and tf2 look 'real' and I trail mine 'real'

The trx4 is superb and with a few mode its awesome, is it scale? Not in its truest sense. But is it good?.... with mods, yes.

We have run all 3 together and each one beats the others in different ways

Which is best? ....each has its place and the answer is what is the best beer? That's up to you :D

Not much help am I? :D:D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think if I intend to use it then a TRX-4 is the best option? My scx-10 with the defender body was hard work at times and broke a lot, if I want to look at it the Gelande is a better option? 

Does the TRX-4 only come in red, grey or a limited edition green? 

I see there is a clear body available. 

Yeah I have a scx10 based d90 and it does wallow about quite a bit, if it were me, I would go the trx4 route.

in some ways the gelande is limited due to its “scale” appearance.

Sorry for the hijack Gaz but I know yourself and a few others will be able to advise me correctly. 

What about the rc4wd 1/18 gelande, I know as far as capability goes they are meant to be poor but what about the detail and accessories available are they equally as bad choice? 

Had one of them and they are very cute but at over £200 I want more than cute and although the same level of detail has been miniaturised the actual usage of it was crap (v1)

now the twin motor or larger motor revision vision is far better, stock electrics are poor to.

if I had that kind of money spare then I would have one as a display piece definately.

Few minor bits to update....

Front and rear alloy portal cases fitted

39000593370_5397f22024_c.jpg

40810557701_0ca6ea5969_c.jpg

Exo cage arrived and built..

40810554661_6319868525_c.jpg

40810554501_a383891a74_c.jpg

I am 90% decided that I will chop the cage down the back of the cab but 10% of me says keep it full length....

Comments and opinions very welcomed  :)