• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stampede Build

Bix

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2018 at 13:58, helsinki98 said:

I took my stampede out today for a lunch time spin with my co workers granite. 

I agree it is too much on 3s, was consistently torque steering out of control. Also destroyed a rear hubs bearings & bent a shock!

Yeah that sounds about right for a 3S run, I’m not even sure whether to run the boys new Stampede 4x4 on 3S to be honest. At least not with the VXL electronics and standard driveshafts.

What did you make of your friends granite in comparison? Always thought they looked pretty solid.

I set about repairing the damaged shell last night as it wasn’t in a very good way, even the shoe goo and drywall tape couldn’t help it at the BMX track.

25E0175A-B27F-4E53-B243-17A66EB20566.thumb.jpeg.828092518bde091b7aa2a8996f3034fe.jpeg

I had another battered shell laying around so decided to try something different and use some sections from it to reinforce this one and attach them with nuts and bolts as I don’t have any shoe goo left.

I started with the rear wheel arch but ended up getting carried away.

5C76FE58-4C8A-4E9F-B688-06C9C1CD9472.thumb.jpeg.ee0d166c9dd09df994b4009ad92e2c31.jpeg3F5C87A1-72EE-4055-AC79-21C17775DA32.thumb.jpeg.3291a221e6a496eff8b2560a94d17e58.jpeg

Doesn’t add too much weight and sure feels stronger, especially the back window and bed section :good:

Even made some washers for the rest posts just to complete the new look.

6A6CC2F9-817A-4B3C-8BCF-E69823A2D98F.jpeg

This weekends bash bash will prove how successful the fix is :rolleyes:

Edited by Bix

On 2/25/2018 at 11:55, Bix said:

Yeah that sounds about right for a 3S run, I’m not even sure whether to run the boys new Stampede 4x4 on 3S to be honest. At least not with the VXL electronics and standard driveshafts.

What did you make of your friends granite in comparison? Always thought they looked pretty solid.

4x4 might be alright, I was running a cheap cheetah brushless system, would imagine the VXL is more reliable. 

Granite was really nice, he was running 3S and it handled night and day better than my stampede.

Edited by helsinki98

So the boys reinforced shell survived :good:

5CA8B663-6276-4BD1-8778-163AAAE77C5B.thumb.jpeg.4709fbcb2b4b5a603b3fc82a6421d7d2.jpeg

Was loads of fun in the muddy and snowy trails of Stanmer Park yesterday. It made it back with no repairs needed either, just a really deep clean :D

Edited by Bix
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update after some hop ups arrived...

8A139747-FC47-45DC-B252-F061F5ADC9DE.thumb.jpeg.153527d998e5aa1846f7c24d489ec82c.jpeg6E3853AC-0D62-4A2B-9937-874AF2804543.thumb.jpeg.4df137b205fc28f31604ca185eab32bd.jpeg

Picked up the GPM caster blocks and rear hubs from RCMart nice and cheap. Had the RPM rod ends laying around so thought I may aswell stick them on while I was at it.

Broke a front A-arm last time out and was pondering putting the alloy ones I removed from my Slash 4x4 on it but figured they would probably do more harm than good! Thankfully I had plenty of spare 2wd rear A-arms sat in a box from our old Stampedes and they are compatible with the 4x4 which is a result :)

Rebuilt the shocks with some heavier shock oil but I still think the springs aren’t up to the job. Just need to find some that fit the Traxxas big bore shocks it’s running.

Were gonna put it through its paces tomorrow so we will find out soon enough if it’s the springs will be alright :good:

Edited by Bix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

There's some nutter on YT running one of these on 4s with a castle 2400kv and a MMP...

Guessing they are running MIP driveshafts as the stock ones would turn to mush!

On 26/03/2018 at 11:43, bertberr said:

Yup and he even managed to split one of those...

Thats almost impressive! :D

On 25/03/2018 at 02:33, Bix said:

Broke a front A-arm last time out and was pondering putting the alloy ones I removed from my Slash 4x4 on it but figured they would probably do more harm than good! Thankfully I had plenty of spare 2wd rear A-arms sat in a box from our old Stampedes and they are compatible with the 4x4 which is a result :)

Good decision there dude!

You've got everything you need alloy wise !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know I’m extremely late to the party here but I’ve just recently bought a stampede xl5 so this thread is a goldmine of information to me. Thanks 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, I_amsambo said:

I know I’m extremely late to the party here but I’ve just recently bought a stampede xl5 so this thread is a goldmine of information to me. Thanks 

Glad the thread has been useful :good: I’m having a clearout of spares and finally letting the last 2wd Stampede go over the next week. If there’s any upgrades you have in mind drop me a PM and I’ll let you know what I’ve got and do you a decent deal price wise. I know I’ve definitely got some RPM arms in a few colours and a bumper. Plus loads of stock spares.

• 3 weeks later...

The Stampede has now found a new home with @RCbutcher :good:

Your more than welcome to carry on updating the thread, interested to see what it runs like with your electrics in it :D 

Hope the little one enjoys it as much as mine did!

Thanks mate it is perfect after hassle with her ecx and not many options i just thought stuff this lol. Traxxas. Having the slash myself means its much better having parts and knowledge well some lol. Ive ran into some trouble with the lipo not suiting thats a bummer. But was thinking to get another 2s for a tamiya but now could use the shorty lipo in that tamiya and get a new 2s for this and the scx. 

It worked out good though basically swapped this truck for stuff from my draws mostly baja upgrades i didnt even install lol. So im happy. My kid cant wait to drive it with my slash after it bulling her ecx no steer truck lol. 

Heres some pics ive only installed her stuff from the ecx orderd some new screws to use the pink washer countersunk like the esc mount. Which im proud of lol. Its a hpi savage xs esc mount. I tried to make it work with my sc8 esc in my slash good fit but the sc8 esc. This esc just slots in. I put some foam under the mount between chassis and used both chassis screw holes. I need pink cable ties for the on/off switch. I think its clean. I wish the wire plugs laid down though but with pink cable sleeving might look neater. 

I wasnt impressed by the motor pinion it looks like it will snap but it's as close as it can be on the motor shaft its a cheap combo though £27all in, so we'll wait and see. But i think it looks weak as is. I used a 13T pinion i had. I saw traxxas forum say 2s try 13t and that's ehat i had so stuck it on instead of the 11t i think is inc. I have a 19T too but wont use that. 

Ive found a pink motor to replace it with if needed. Turnigy xk 3100kv. Its 3500kv 60a goolrc atm. Very cool little combo so far its been dropping my jaw in the 2wd never even warm. Its fan nlows as good as my sc8 esc. It mayb easy for others to judge its performance vs the vxl. Im intrested to know but never used a vxl. Ther just worth to much lol. I sell em straight away. 

13t pinion on the shaft huge gap ready to snap?

20180513_142942_zpsi4irj0vp.jpg

20180513_160258_zpskdlie5wy.jpg

20180513_153156_zpso3lzyrfp.jpg

20180513_160322_zpsrxc1xxct.jpg

20180513_160309_zpspd9zvotb.jpg

Tbh mate you've already built it well enough i dont plan much but repairs and small details to make it hers. Its the bodyshell im planning to try extra hard at but dont have a great record tbh. But think ive worked out a scheme very easy but lots of action. Ide like to run it past a painter mayb soon. 

I did screen shot some bodies two older pick ups and the newest ford ranger i think. Hoping she chooses an old one easier for leds and girl quirky? I think so. Esp the hot rod pick up truck pink/silver sale art. She said "no ther old that means slow" then chose the new raptor not ranger lol. 

The gpm hubs are cool their pretty pink ish to me mrs agrees so thats a win. Ther red ish pink ish. Mayb if i cook them in the sun theyll fade lighter pink but look great as is. They give some slop though but off road doesnt care about that lol. So neither do i. 

I might heat shrink the whole centre drive shaft pink too. Ill ask people if it could cause more vibration first though but if its evenly coverd, i dont see why not. My tekno shaft in my slash has wear rings in two places that must rattle like mad lol. I havent found one thing im annoyed by truly. Top truck mate thanks. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

Im gutted about the lipo its way too short. But some foam end spacers from curtain poles i saved over a year ago fits like a glove syicky taped down it was a win. Until the damn traxxas battery bar. That windes me up theyd rather design silly things like that than just give us velcro. What we want lol. Or just nice clean slits ill get my own straps lol. I hate the idea of cutting or permanent mods others see as ruined come sell time lol. 

Mayb without the back battery brick the scx10 carbon tray will fit. Its just mounting it lol. My ideas are either shoo goo a bed into the battery tray that i can screw the carbon tray on to. If i can get 4x m4 nuts bedded into the sheet i place once all cured could be like factory but i cant think how to bed the nuts in perfectly so they dont just spin. It would look epic though. 

It could work better on the Pede with the centre shaft tucked under its cover and flush surface all round. Ide need to trim it for my slash 4x4 lcg chassis but i really want it to work. 

20180513_160538_zpsrjed2lpn.jpg

Looks kinda wide but when i had it out it wasnt bad mayb mm's over the edge. Ill check without the std contraption fitted soon lol. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Glad your please with the truck mate, also nice to see you putting your own stamp on it (no pun intended :D). 

Ive tried a few things with bodyshells with mixed results, twice I’ve somehow managed to put the wrong paint on lexan! Hope yours goes well though whichever choice you make.

The spare chassis that was in the box does have a Velcro instead of the crappy Traxxas battery holder. Also the mounting hole and support for the ESC have been removed which might accommodate your combo a bit better :good:

Looking forward to see the finished article.

We just tested it around the garden taped down lipo lol. Its perfect mayb abit too punchy but in the open feilds itll be fine. Im actually thinking how though my slash is 3s and over powerd its faster for sure just enough crazy but the goolrc 2s pede has good launch and power wheelies i didnt see top end yet but im very impressed. 

The gool 3500kv was starting to warm up i expect to see heat from it now though but I'll watch the temps when bashing. 

• Like 1

It is a bit wheelie happy to be fair! The slipper clutch is tightened all the way down so could always loosen it off a bit to reign it in a tad. My boy loved the wheelies so it suited him just fine :D

• Like 1