• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stampede Build

Bix

So the postman just came.....

70b67463984455d19ca70fba11aa52aa.jpg

And these came a few days back.....

a8751a5556031eec1c0bc4a0785e7a28.jpg

Going to make a start this evening [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

New Proline 1966 Ford F100 shell all cutout and ready to be sprayed [emoji4]

96fc4e4bf0bb1474140d5e981fc87eb2.jpg

Since read that I should probably have sprayed first and then cutout but never mind [emoji23]

Also brace yourself for a very loud colour!

• Like 1

Didn't make as much time as I would have liked today to make some real progress, weather prevented spraying the body so I used an hour this evening to strip the whole thing down.

5a49b5cb3a681270ab5a317a4ca15ebc.jpg

Think I'm going to need to upgrade the shocks pretty sharpish as they are in a pretty bad (bent) way! Any recommendations would be appreciated [emoji1303]

• Like 1

One shell painted :thumbsup:

IMG_8160.thumb.JPG.ae767274a5c8fd718c2894f75879d40a.JPG

Oh and while I was busy painting, the boy found my stash of stickers and went a bit mad! He loves it tho :D

IMG_8161.thumb.JPG.e5cec51d59852ddbc04265c2d072d373.JPG

• Like 2

On 29/07/2017 at 13:18, Bix said:

Since read that I should probably have sprayed first and then cutout but never mind emoji23.png

I always usually cut arches then spray, i only cut afterwards to trim up, or to make vent holes after a few runs if temps high.

Loving that candy apple green colour!!!

Can't wait to see a running vid

• Like 1

I always usually cut arches then spray, i only cut afterwards to trim up, or to make vent holes after a few runs if temps high.

Loving that candy apple green colour!!!

Can't wait to see a running vid

I must admit it made more sense in my mind to cut first so glad I'm not alone there [emoji6] the colour matches the green RPM arms perfectly too [emoji1303]

So I was hoping to maybe get it all done for this afternoon to give it a first run.....

421030b74d26f04839badc3cc8e10762.jpg

Didn't quite get there unfortunately, looking much better than it did last night tho! My OCD feels much better now I've finally got rid of all those horrible greys components (bulkhead, chassis and gearbox housing) [emoji23]

Looks like I'll be blowing the dust off the aqroshot for today's bash.

I reckon one more evenings work left and hoping to fit it in before Tuesday.

Looking good.

You running vxl3s?? 

My lad ran a vxl6s in his HSP for a while, good ESC it was too.

What motor/pinion etc you running?

Apologies for the Spanish inquisition

Both running vxl3s yea, pretty solid setups tbh and ample for our needs ATM.

The boy has 19/90 in his on 2S. Mine currently has 19/86 but I'm going to swap these out for 23/83 before its first run. Mine is always run on 3S as I just love how bonkers it is!

No worries about the questions, exactly why I made the thread [emoji1303]

It meant a later night than I should probably have considering I need to be up for work in 5 hours but it's almost finished :D

IMG_8176.thumb.JPG.75389d33b8f7499fcf38e23d3e6b2fd1.JPGIMG_8177.thumb.JPG.a589341d497257bb416e2c802a6ebe70.JPG

I'm going to have my first go at the shoe gooing method to help strengthen the shell as best as possible and then stick some post holes in and she's ready to go :thumbsup:

Only thing I'm undecided on is whether to add decals or not? Any thoughts?

• Like 3

So I didn't bother with the shell strengthening as I'm too impatient! Think it looks sweet :D

IMG_8183.thumb.JPG.d03f564d454785d03c31f03375fa84e9.JPGIMG_8184.thumb.JPG.d126afcb4533d1f4464d9926e27a2f95.JPG

Really pleased with with the end result, going to swap the pinion and spur out tonight and then she's ready to go!

Ive got to try a wait until my boy is at mine on Friday before it gets its first run :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bix said:

Really pleased with with the end result, going to swap the pinion and spur out tonight and then she's ready to go!

Ive got to try a wait until my boy is at mine on Friday before it gets its first run :rolleyes:

I think you have done really well with that body. Looks amazing, especially with those wheels on the stampede.

Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Enjoy waiting tomorrow! I know that as long as the weather is good I will be out enjoying my RC's.

• Like 1

I think you have done really well with that body. Looks amazing, especially with those wheels on the stampede.
Looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Enjoy waiting tomorrow! I know that as long as the weather is good I will be out enjoying my RC's.

Cheers [emoji1303]

I like the finished article and think the wheels really complete it, question is how long will it look like this? [emoji23]

• Like 2

Just now, Bix said:

Cheers emoji1303.png

I like the finished article and think the wheels really complete it, question is how long will it look like this? emoji23.png

If you use it properly and how an RC like this should be bashed in my opinion, then probably not very long.

Just enjoy it whilst it looks good, and then bash it even harder after it is slightly damaged!

• Like 1

If you use it properly and how an RC like this should be bashed in my opinion, then probably not very long.
Just enjoy it whilst it looks good, and then bash it even harder after it is slightly damaged!

In with you there mate, don't get me wrong they look lovely all clean and smart......but they look just as good bloody filthy with a few scrapes [emoji6]

• Like 1

Just now, Bix said:

In with you there mate, don't get me wrong they look lovely all clean and smart......but they look just as good bloody filthy with a few scrapes emoji6.png

Certainly. The nice thing with the shells is they are pretty easy to clean the mud off as well, so it can still look good when you have it on a shelf between runs.

Much better to see them being used than just sitting around and bring a shelfer.

• Like 1

The roll cage on ya lads does actually help. My little uns got a nitro circus mini monster truck.  He's nearly 5. It tops out at about 28mph. You can probably guess the kind of beating it gets :boredlook:. But the shell's held up a lot longer because of the cage.  Ps.  Your truck looks the mutts nuts :D

• Like 1

The roll cage on ya lads does actually help. My little uns got a nitro circus mini monster truck.  He's nearly 5. It tops out at about 28mph. You can probably guess the kind of beating it gets :boredlook:. But the shell's held up a lot longer because of the cage.  Ps.  Your truck looks the mutts nuts [emoji3]

I am seriously impressed how well the boys Bigfoot has put up with the abuse, not just the shell but the whole car has been bomb proof.

Which is exactly what I wanted for him as there's no disappointment when a afternoon out with the cars is cut short by a breakage!

• Like 1

I've found adding an inner alu roll cage/braces helps with durability on bigger models.

Also, the proline ford lariat shells can take a beating with no splits or cracks

1 hour ago, Zannu said:

If it's being driven by a child then he won't have to worry about that..:043:

• Like 1

Thought I should mention after double checking the Traxxas gearing chart I decided to fit the 23 pinion and leave the 86 spur in. Probably more sensible for off roading especially on 3S, fitting the 83 spur would have likely created a little too much heat I reckon. It should at least reduce the savage behaviour off the line and give me some more top end.

Only problem is more top end will likely mean more shell damage [emoji85]

Cutting the body then painting is i think is actually best anyway.

If its painted then cut, its easy to ruin the paint job. I always cut, drill and sand before any paint. You did a good job with it tho. 

You can do the shoo goo anytime too even after its cracked. But ide do it sooner than later. Keeps them like new if not road raced lol. It does look very smart. Both the trucks look cool. Im a fan of the classic bigfoot. 

9 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Cutting the body then painting is i think is actually best anyway.

If its painted then cut, its easy to ruin the paint job. I always cut, drill and sand before any paint. You did a good job with it tho. 

You can do the shoo goo anytime too even after its cracked. But ide do it sooner than later. Keeps them like new if not road raced lol. It does look very smart. Both the trucks look cool. Im a fan of the classic bigfoot. 

Half the reason I gave the Stampede a refresh was because I was so jealous of the boys Bigfoot! :heh:

I have a horrible feeling I may have done something wrong when I painted the shell as some of the paint started flaking a little. Have to wait and see after it gets a proper run tomorrow.

My boy was very impressed with the finished Stampede, still thinks his Bigfoot is the coolest tho! Especially now his sticker game has been turn up to 11 :heh:

IMG_8237.thumb.JPG.42cdaa2d7873a7fc54f2bce23291ab00.JPGIMG_8236.thumb.JPG.23c9d60e7f41b317016bbace186b43b9.JPGIMG_8238.thumb.JPG.988c44e8e6f5c2d562df68255620e8e8.JPG

• Like 1