• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photobucket wants payment for 3rd party hosting.

ChrisT

I did read some opinions that it was to do with bandwith used but it is just a Terms of Use update. Why they've staggered it and not just cut everyone is a mystery to me.

This will have a massive impact on virtually every forum out there. Ever done a build thread......... Seen one forum owner stating his site has lost 20,000+ photos and some threads are just useless now.

So what's to say any of the other hosters wont go the same way! :(

This demonstrates photobucket's sheer cunning.

Think about it, if you wanted to make money from image hosting you simply provide all users open access until a certain date, then once they've built up usage/ are reliant on your hosting sites services, you then change your TOS without any warning, allowing you to charge for not just future usage, but access to previous usage content...

Genius, and complete arrogance rolled into one.....

I'm still left wondering why some can post and others cannot

IMG_20170412_164241_zpsd3zx23dv.jpg?w=48

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Re posted from a popular general news website

Photobucket began as a 3rd party image host, now they have moved away from that and want $400 a year. They are monetizing your popular images, and they put ads on them so the viewers are paying too, making money on both ends.

you cant even begin to imagine what this will mean to internet forums and blogs. older internet users remember what a dumpster fire the internet was when angelfire, geocities, and tripod stopped offering free hosting, broken links everywhere and it was the exact same cause, they started out to give everyone free hosting, but they reached critical mass as more people signed up for the free than the paid. they switched everyone to paid thinking their customers would not let them get shut down over something as trivial as $150 a year. It only took one year for angelfire usage to drop by 75%, and they were defunct shortly after. for YEARS after, you would search for information and reach a dead angelfire/geocities/tripod link.

this is how its going to be with photobucket. if you have a free account and your images arent blocked, dont worry, they will be. the ToS is clear that NO 3rd party hosting is allowed with free accounts or even the first 3 tiers of paid hosting. right now its just the higher bandwidth accounts but looking at their ToS soon it will be everyone.

Regardless of your feelings about photobucket, yes they suck, yes you should have seen this coming, yes there are other image hosts, its all irrelevant. You will search google for a DIY how-to and the pictures from 2006 will be down. You will search a honda forum for how to repair a 2010 honda pilot power steering noise and the pictures will be down. you will look for a halloween pumpkin idea from a blog and it will be text only with a bunch of photobucket.com/p500 image links.

dont give them the satisfaction. if you use photobucket now, delete your images. image storage space is such a small concern these days, a 64GB memory stick is less than 20 bucks and a 256GB is less than 60. without the ability to share the images on message forums with an IMG tag, there is not a reason to store them on photobucket. delete your photobucket accounts and let them go the way of angelfire.

TL;DR photobucket, which started as a free third party image host, no longer allows third party hosting for less than $400/yr. screw them!

Bye bye photobucket I thinks.

Nothing on there that isnt stored elsewhere on media I own and control. Will wait for my pics to get replaced then ditch PB. I dont expect them to provide a free service by 400 a year with no notice? Errrr no, thats not how we roll mofos. I wonder if we'll see PB crop up in 'The biggest fails' stories in a few years.

This afternoon, I've been downloading my images off PB and uploading to imgur.

My intentions are to resurrect some of my build threads on here. Will take some time and not all will be done.

What is the allowance for gold members? I don't even know it :doh: