• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1900 kv 1/8 buggy set up.

ash12321

hey guys, so this is mainly for bashing and or scudding, what are the best gearing ratios for a 1/8 buggy using a 1900kv set up, cells also come into play, wiling to go 5s max

the buggy is an old skool hong nor x1cr pro.

Edited by ash12321

20 minutes ago, ash12321 said:

hey guys, so this is mainly for bashing and or scudding, what are the best gearing ratios for a 1/8 buggy using a 1900kv set up, cells also come into play, wiling to go 5s max

the buggy is an old skool hong nor x1cr pro.

+1 For choice of RC

I would start off with a 14t but have a 15,16 and maybe a 13 in stock for adjustment.

Depends a lot on motor, your driving style, wheels and where your driving too.  Assuming it's a 4068 buggy motor, with some grippy off road tyres on shortish grass I'd start with the 15t, monitor temps and be prepared to adjust accordingly.  I may be having a moment too but the X1 has a 48t spur, so it's slightly easier to 'turn' than the 46t say in a H7.

If you find your forever on WOT it'll get hot regardless, so actually gearing up isn't always a bad thing.  Bl motors have plenty of torque, especially low down 1900kv ones.  Invest in a temp gun and keep checking.

FWIW 1900kv is a little low for a basher buggy on 4S, though well suited to 5S.  Fitting 5S under a buggy lid isn't that easy though unless you use small capacity's.  

yeah the spur is 48t. but i can always drop that down and upper the pinion. i was looking at 4500mha 5s pack, and the motor esc combo is this.

also i did read up somehwere that the higher the cell the lower the c rating, is 20c too low or shall i go 25c?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-4000mah-5s-30c-lipo-pack.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xerun-xr8-plus-brushless-esc-g2-motor-combo-1900kv-hwa38020405/p520596

Edited by ash12321

25 minutes ago, ash12321 said:

yeah the spur is 48t. but i can always drop that down and upper the pinion. i was looking at 4500mha 5s pack, and the motor esc combo is this.

also i did read up somehwere that the higher the cell the lower the c rating, is 20c too low or shall i go 25c?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-4000mah-5s-30c-lipo-pack.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xerun-xr8-plus-brushless-esc-g2-motor-combo-1900kv-hwa38020405/p520596

ah so you don't have it already.  I'd seriously consider the 2200kv version of the same combo - upping the pinion is easy enough, though whatever mount your using will limit how big you can go, dropping the sour size less so.

Those batt's are a little underpowered.  Your using a 150a esc, so ideally you want to be covering that with the continuous supply from the lipo - the ones you linked can only 'do' 120a - and turnigy are renowned for being a little less punchy than the C rating would suggest.  Personally I'd suggest going for 200a continuous - which means at 4000mah (quite small and won't give great run times) you'll need 50C batt's.  Generally I use 5000mah min, which means only 40C batt's.  Too low a rating and the lipo will get warm, puffy and shorten it's life.  It'll also kick LVC in quicker under load.  Too high and you'll just get a bigger smile on your face :D

It used to be, when lipo's we're expensive (there creeping up in price atm) that racers got the highest C rating they could afford, and bashers the highest MAH.  

i already bought it, so, i can just put it in the truggy and go 5s in that as i have old mbx6t as well..boy I like my old comp kits lol, although the battery holder for the truggy isnt very big when looking at the size of some of theres batterys. already have a 2200kv set up so i guess that will be for the buggy then

Edited by ash12321

10 minutes ago, ash12321 said:

what do you mean "a little short" ?

As in length.  The generally accepted sizing is 68mm long motors are buggy, 74 truggy.  Longer motor means longer rotor and therefore (in theory) more torque for a given KV.

Ie a 4074 2000kv motor could pull taller gearing than an identical 4068 2000kv.  Or run cooler doing the same gearing.

ok well, theres are the best i could find, i had 2 2c sitting side by side in the buggy before with a battery hight of 50mm, which did pop the shell up a bit because of the wires, i can lay this on its side and it will still fit in, and give me 10mm lower so the shell shouldnt be poking up. the batery holder is 147mm x50mm

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-5s-30c-lipo-pack.html

Edited by ash12321

yeah scudding, just a few us sometimes like to play racing around an imaginary track, you could call it "Kiss chasing" lol

i donmt want to break the buggy by over killing it with 6s power lol, 5s looks already a bit extreme.

• Like 1

My lads 1/8 truck has 12/46 stock gearing,1750kv vortex8, maxxamps 3s 120c batt, he gets around 20-25 mins runtime and the motor never gets past mildly warm ,there's a vid of it running somewhere in the vid section

His seems to be OK for 3s, but if I owned it I would go for a 4s setup with 14/15t pinion for that extra top end, only because its a chinese HSP brand MT, your hong nor could easily handle 5s...so I'd go straight for that if I was you

Also taking into account that your hong nor is almost certainly heavier

Edited by Fly In My Soup

decided to go 4s, due to the fact that 4s is already strong for a buggy, 5s will just weight it down more, possible off set the balance too because i thex1cr was desinged way before the brushless buggys. not mention the battery pack sticking up forcing this shell up which could dmg the battry if it lands hard.

On 03/06/2017 at 11:55, ash12321 said:

what do you mean "a little short" ?

I had this problem, i bought the wrong motor for my truggy. Switched it out for a 2250kv 4074can and its soooo much better. Can gear it better, runs more efficently. Id definately look at switching to a longer can.

Edited by Guns