• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which scaler/trailer?

mond

I want a scaler/trailer but can't decide on which but I've got it to a short list:

Tamiya CR01

SCX10 II

Gelande II

I discounted the Trailfinder 2 and Highlift due to leaf springs. I'd like some capability as well as scale appearances. The Gelande II seems to be the most 'scale' and I do enjoy painting these kinds of things, however I also can't tolerate my tanks getting scratched up so this will be no different. The SCX10 II worries me. I find Axial plastics to be only suitable for the bin. Someone tell me this truck is different. The CR01 I really like the look of and it has good support but which CR-01? There's the Rock Socker and Toyota. One is much more expensive than the other but what is the difference?

Is there another scaler/trailer I should consider? I don't really want to spend a fortune or buy something that requires a ton of upgrades just to work. 

My daughter has had her scx10 for atleast 2yrs and never broken it once. Even tho she couldnt drive it for a year just blasted the throttle and watched it bounce all over. Scx10 v2 looks ace and probably will get better and better with the axial guys on it. 

I want something scale but is also capable of trailing, some light crawling but not intending anything hardcore or rock racing. My Barbarian is pretty much a Wraith with fat wheels and sway bars should I want a proper crawler albeit top heavy.

Edited by mond

Trailfinder is very capable, I would have one of those over the Gelande II and I've owned both and run them side by side.

Leaf springs don't mean they're not capable.

Too much suspension articulation and you'll topple over on most stuff anyway.

IMO, it would be the TF2 Hilux or G2 D90/D110.

If the exchange rates weren't silly, I'd have another TF2 now.

18 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Trailfinder is very capable, I would have one of those over the Gelande II and I've owned both and run them side by side.

Leaf springs don't mean they're not capable.

Too much suspension articulation and you'll topple over on most stuff anyway.

IMO, it would be the TF2 Hilux or G2 D90/D110.

If the exchange rates weren't silly, I'd have another TF2 now.

Why the TF2 over the Gelande 2? 

10 minutes ago, mond said:

Why the TF2 over the Gelande 2? 

When set up right, they're better and IMO the body is nicer.

There seems to be an unwarranted stigma attached to leaf sprung scalers not being capable.

It just isn't the case at all :) 

All round a nicer truck to drive, IMPO.

I understand that the drive shafts are rubbish and need to be replaced out of the box. Is there anything else that needs replacing to make it usable? Does it need aftermarket bumpers and rock sliders?

The TF2 had me tempted as the Tamiya F350 and Tundra bodies fit it. 

3 hours ago, mond said:

I understand that the drive shafts are rubbish and need to be replaced out of the box. Is there anything else that needs replacing to make it usable? Does it need aftermarket bumpers and rock sliders?

The TF2 had me tempted as the Tamiya F350 and Tundra bodies fit it. 

Mine lasted many many months without issue, on a mixture of 2s and 3s, never broke or twisted.

I certainly wouldn't replace them until they were actually broken, which in my experience, doesn't happen immediately, whoever called them rubbish either had bad luck or drove it way beyond it's means lol.

It only 'needs' what you want to put onto it, I'm personally not a fan of the stock bumpers, I didn't run one on the front and I had a very simple single bar from RC4WD on the rear just for some body protection.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to be safe, buy them both:lol: Leaf springs are a bit stiffer they say, but i set my gelande up with stiff springs aswell. irl you will tumble over if your`e springs are too soft. Same for these heavy rc`s. Do not not buy a plastic fantastic scx10, just boring in the long run. Let it be a challenge;)

Edited by mkon86
bad english:P