• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lypo problem

Grimsnot

Have an odd issue with a couple 3s Overlander batteries where one on the cells isn't showing up on the charger. I've cleaned the connectors and opened it up to see if a wire had come loose. Can't see anything wrong. Happened to both batteries at the same time.

Any ideas?

Pete 3eafbe36ebe0db5c17008a019e8856c4.jpg914c22a37e0fb0de49204d94ed67cefb.jpg4d8ac2e8c49727e63a4c8d26e171d1e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I've been in touch with overlander, who weren't much help. These batteries are over a year old now, so wasn't expecting much from them though I have another one which is only 6/7 months old and puffed for no apparent reason which they weren't interested in either.

2 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

I have no idea why my one died, £60 odd quid brick

Welcome to Lipo. Its why i refuse to spend much on a pack. I had an expensive one drop a cell for no reason and become worthless. Simce then Ive rolled el cheapeo!

Yeah my Floureon 2s 5200mah takes more charge from storage than my 90c 6000mah IP Lipo race pack. But I have to say high C is worth it, based on the IP and a couple of other batteries. Faster!

• 1 month later...

Your charger is reading it, it's reading it at 0v, meaning, as guns pointed out, you've simply got a dead middle cell, presumably from incorrect storage...

You won't be able to charge it through normal / balance charging, as your charger won't allow charging if voltage of a cell drops below 2.5v

Try probing then charging through your balance tap to charge the middle cell individually before you bin it..

All info contained in this video, apologies for low contrast..

Edited by Fly In My Soup

On 27/06/2017 at 14:09, Fly In My Soup said:

Your charger is reading it, it's reading it at 0v, meaning, as guns pointed out, you've simply got a dead middle cell, presumably from incorrect storage...

You won't be able to charge it through normal / balance charging, as your charger won't allow charging if voltage of a cell drops below 2.5v

Try probing then charging through your balance tap to charge the middle cell individually before you bin it..

All info contained in this video, apologies for low contrast..

I have a cable with 4mm charge bullets on one end and 2 balance pins on the other made up specifically for this task.

I can just push them in the required cell in the balance plug and bring it up on it's own.

Then do the normal charge.

• Like 1

I have a cable with 4mm charge bullets on one end and 2 balance pins on the other made up specifically for this task.
I can just push them in the required cell in the balance plug and bring it up on it's own.
Then do the normal charge.

Right ok I will try this. Thanks

I've opened up the battery again to see if there are any corroded joints, can't see anything obvious.  Unplugged the lead going to the balance plug to the cell that's not reading thinking that the lead might be broke, and it now reads 0.00 - 3.11 - 3.92  When I connect it again it goes back to 3.90 - 0.00 - 3.92  

On this lead, I disconnected the wire next to the black one. So No.2 on the diagram.  I have two batteries with the same issue, the other one it's the 3rd cell.  

I'm sure it's something simple, but it's not obvious....  tempted to give up and chuck them out, but that's over £120  :-(  

Popping out now, will have another look later 

1 hour ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Which lead did you disconnect?

A pic would really help.

Here's a 3s wiring diagram

download.png

Nice one mate :thumbsup:

@Grimsnot. If you make one of those leads I mentioned for the charger:

Using the diagram above to do individually.

To charge cell 1: Gray looking one to + Black to -

To charge cell 2: Green to + Blue to -

To charge cell 3: Red to + Green to -

Nice one mate [emoji106]

@Grimsnot. If you make one of those leads I mentioned for the charger:
Using the diagram above to do individually.
To charge cell 1: Gray looking one to + Black to -
To charge cell 2: Green to + Blue to -
To charge cell 3: Red to + Green to -

I did that yes, when I plugged it in it said 'Connection Error'.

Here are a few photos.  Only when plugged into the 2nd cell does it give the connection break message, the other two cells are fine. ad2427bb1c120a948f95395a0d8e27b9.jpg9c2f07a4073eb63fffc8ad9b255d88b2.jpgacbc891cc821f578a0e44b4bfb83f596.jpg618bb61a4748959354855967a1b34866.jpg

b985241d3af6b2a6a5e708d74d000964.jpg

Edited by Grimsnot

On the other battery with the same issue on cell 3, it has puffed slightly.  I'm guess that this is perhaps an internal fault on these batteries, which I'm not going to be able to sort out?