• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi 8ight 4.0-E

hey guys, been a while

sold all my RC gear early 2016, all im left with is a few scale parts and a flysky tx/rx new in the box and a lipo charger.  Decided to dip a toe back in the water and go for a losi 8ight 4.0-E kit, wanted a bit of a basher, was considering the vorza, but, considering the price, decided to go for the losi kit (looking for something readily availible)  i cant seem to find much about the losi kit with reguards to playing around and bashing, i understand its a fairly race oriented bit of kit, but im struggling to find info about a casual / bashing setup.  So onto my real question, i know its mainly down to a personal choice, but im looking at diff oils.  Mostly running on flat grass and your typical wooded terrain, hard packed mud and leafs.  Do i need a thicker fluid for bashing?, anything special i need to know about the 8ight 4.0 diffs?, every thread i read makes me think something different, looking for anyones experience really,  got a few credits on freeprawn from my baja days, so looking to use them up.

cheers chaps, if the forum is up long enough, look forward to your input :D

and no doubt Dan will read this, yes, im still using firefox :P

Edited by Scoobie007
  • Like 1

In my Losi 8 2.0 brushless buggy  use 10K in rear diff, 30K centre diff and 15K front diff, used only for light bashing and no racing. Others I know use 7K rear, 20K centre and 10K front. Seems to come down to personal preference. Shocks at the moment I have 35w all around and seems ok to me

11 hours ago, Scoobie007 said:

hey guys, been a while

sold all my RC gear early 2016, all im left with is a few scale parts and a flysky tx/rx new in the box and a lipo charger.  Decided to dip a toe back in the water and go for a losi 8ight 4.0-E kit, wanted a bit of a basher, was considering the vorza, but, considering the price, decided to go for the losi kit (looking for something readily availible)  i cant seem to find much about the losi kit with reguards to playing around and bashing, i understand its a fairly race oriented bit of kit, but im struggling to find info about a casual / bashing setup.  So onto my real question, i know its mainly down to a personal choice, but im looking at diff oils.  Mostly running on flat grass and your typical wooded terrain, hard packed mud and leafs.  Do i need a thicker fluid for bashing?, anything special i need to know about the 8ight 4.0 diffs?, every thread i read makes me think something different, looking for anyones experience really,  got a few credits on freeprawn from my baja days, so looking to use them up.

cheers chaps, if the forum is up long enough, look forward to your input, and its nice to be 'home' again :D

and no doubt Dan will read this, yes, im still using firefox :P

I think A.J. Is your man, I'm sure he's got a really sorted 4.0e? For advice I mean

In both my 8ight buggies and truggies I just put in the oils per the manual except thicker centre oil in the truggy. The 4.0 diffs are the same as the 2.0 and 3.0 apart from the centre diff angle.

@Scoobie007 are part of the kent bashers page on Facebook? If not, check it out, they meet regularly down near Gillingham. 

On 12/02/2017 at 14:15, mond said:

are part of the kent bashers page on Facebook? If not, check it out, they meet regularly down near Gillingham. 

Thanks i shall give it a look, and thanks to everyone else for suggestions :D

the losi kit has landed, built it up as far as i can go without my choice of diff oils arriving, the kit does come with oils, but seemed a bit counter productive building it up, only to pull it all apart again to add my own oils, especially as i may ruin gaskets etc.  im not by anymeans an rc connoisseur, but the kit seems top notch, i will probably update this to a build thread of some sort when time allows. but for the time being, basic progress.  Im just itching to get this built.

20170215_144601.jpg

20170215_212337.jpg

20170215_212350.jpg

Edited by Scoobie007
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

this is where im at now, suspension needs to be fitted, but an ill fitting battery on my part has halted progress.

20170313_000759.jpg

20170313_000844.jpg

20170313_001014.jpg

Edited by Scoobie007
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I really like my e 3.0

i use 10-7-5 diff oils. 

As for a general bashing setup I would probably stay to the kit setup and set ride height to 30mm all round as will be more forgiving over rough ground. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2017 at 18:53, Guns said:

How much are these? Are they imperial?

sorry, just seen this, it was on sale on modelsport for 380 ish, and i built it a few months ago now, but sure it was imperial

few pics of the finished car, and a couple of my lad messing about with his mini 8 in the garden, the wheels look a bit wafty on one of the pics, but its just the camera.

20170322_210212.jpg

20170322_210221.jpg

20170322_210233.jpg

20170324_115116.jpg

20170409_182237.jpg

Screenshot_2017-04-19-21-09-17.png

Screenshot_2017-04-19-21-09-37.png

Edited by Scoobie007

On 10/05/2017 at 00:06, bertberr said:

Looking good, really like the 8ight platform. What elecs' you running?

sorry for the delay, been working abroad for the last week.

it has a skytoro 2100kv 6 pole, a hobbywing 160a esc, a turnigy graphine 5000mah 90c 4s battery and a powerHD 20kg servo, it will be up for sale soon to make way for a new project. Due to work etc, i enjoy just relaxing and building in the evenings when everyones asleep, i dont really get much chance to run what ive built, i work away for weeks at a time, so when im home, its family time, ive run it in the garden a few times, even bought my boys a mini 8ight to mess around with me, but they just dont have the rc bug lol.

That's a shame... but as long as you get some enjoyment from it all, whether its the building or running, is kind of irrelevant I suppose.  I feel a bit guilty using my trucks when the family are around, but while my son isn't that interested, luckily my daughter is well into RC, and can throw a BL Slash 2wd around now with real authority, and she's only 6.

6 minutes ago, bertberr said:

That's a shame... but as long as you get some enjoyment from it all, whether its the building or running, is kind of irrelevant I suppose.  I feel a bit guilty using my trucks when the family are around, but while my son isn't that interested, luckily my daughter is well into RC, and can throw a BL Slash 2wd around now with real authority, and she's only 6.

it was a cracking build and i really enjoyed it, its probably the best quality kit ive built, ive got a bit of ocd, which rears its ugly head in rc models, so i dont like to get them dirty or scratched, which is odd as im also into mountain biking and i have no problems getting that as filthy as possible lol.

Shared interest there then as well. I've got a Camber 29er, and just finished building up my own steel HT, using a Sanderson cro-mo frame, Reba fork, BB7's and 1x9 drivetrain. Nice n simple, just the way I like em.

34 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Shared interest there then as well. I've got a Camber 29er, and just finished building up my own steel HT, using a Sanderson cro-mo frame, Reba fork, BB7's and 1x9 drivetrain. Nice n simple, just the way I like em.

ive got a marin rocky ridge as my main go to bike, its a 2013 version, its a hardtail but its my weekly driver for the 30 mile cycle home. ive got an old skool kona kahuna full sus which i paid for with many many paper rounds, im 36 now, so its about 20 years old in my parents shed :rolleyes:

20170506_013431.jpg

20170517_221708.jpg

Edited by Scoobie007
  • Like 3