• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F1 2017

Voicon

Just seen this. What do you reckon? Personally I don't think they should take any further action. He got a penalty and points, only beat hamilton because of dodgy mercedes build quality. That's just unlucky for hamilton, get on with it. I wonder what made them wait 3 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40431244

Apparently a lot of the other teams as well as Mercedes are not happy with Vettels " lenient" penalty. Vettel has upset a lot of other people as well and you can see the backroom machinations going on to punish Vettel. Agree should have been dealt with properly at the time rather than days later.

John

I'm not a fan of any particular team, I'm a fan of F1. 

Whoever made the mistake on the first collision between Hamilton and Vettel doesn't matter, the problem was Vettel's actions afterward which are inexcusable, deliberately driving your car into another is dangerous driving and should be dealt with in such way. As I said before I like Vettel but he has a temper, remember the tirade of abuse he gave Charlie last season on the radio.

Ferrari need to calm him down.

Just happened to tune into 'the race' and the very instant, by chance and saw a trackside camera.

Lewis did nothing - he eased before the corner and didn't brake or anything. Watching the camera, you can see Vettel accelerate into Lewis, get angry then pull alongside and bash his front wheel into Lewis (because he wasn't holding the wheel) and at the same time, you can still see the pace car in view, which could easily have been caught had Lewis pulled away immediately ...

I was almost willing to think Lewis had braked, but visually he really hadn't.

Vettel's really got a screw loose and hat's off to Lewis for keeping his cool!!

Al.

People that do that for living probably have at least one screw loose anyway :D

It's just passion, drive to succeed etc etc. You would expect drivers of that calibre to be able to be more controlled though but a lot of the very finest drivers were quite hot headed. Society is less accepting these days, everything has to be sterile, driving at 220mph+ 1" off the ground doesn't really fit with that.

The least I would have expected was vettel to accept he messed up with the nudge up the rear. Have some self respect/humility, whatever. Just be smug that you finished ahead in the end.

Vettel's actions afterwards in refusing to accept blame I think are going to come back to haunt him. If he had have held his hands up and accepted the blame the matter would most likely have been closed and probably no one would be calling for him to be made an example of.

Just have the feeling he's going to be penalised pretty harshly very shortly.

John

• Like 1

Well there is a new investigation into his actions by the FIA so we will se what happens, the outcome is supposed to be before next weekend's race.

He DESERVES to skip a race for this rush of blood blatant arrogance and stupidity, but I hope he doesn't ... it'll be game over for the championship.

I'm still amazed how 'cool' Lewis has been in all of this.

Spotlight will be on Vettel basically for the rest of his career, and certainly rest of this season.

Ferrari react strangely to these things sometimes, and may even dump him and grab Alonso again - stranger things ....

Al.

Silverstone set to use the break clause in their contract....

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10934125/brdc-director-says-its-highly-probable-silverstone-will-activate-a-break-clause-in-their-f1-contract

Hopefully this is just a tactic to try and get a discount from Libery Media, it would be a sad day to have no British GP on the calendar.

Charges are getting ridiculous!!

It would be a shame to have no British GP - time for Brands or Donington to step up?

Don't think they'd want the extra work and charges, despite the extra publicity of 'the F1 Circus'.

Al.

Both would require considerable work to get up to standard for what, a break-even at best (according silverstone/brdc) situation. Great to have, doesn't take much to go wrong and it will end up costing them money instead.

I think it will be a joke if there's no Brit GP, most teams are based here, the history is undeniable.... I think a lot of UK fans will turn off if we lose the GP. It'll just be some other 'foreign' race series like DTM or WTCC.

• Like 1

Be good to see but I doubt it's a permanent option. At the whim of the mayor/council and doesn't have the allure of somewhere like silverstone. I dislike swapping old tracks for new one''s just for the money and the 'perfect' designs. While a street race would be fun to watch, there's something special about a track with real history like silverstone. Especially as that's where I asked my mrs to marry me so every time it's on the telly I get to remind everyone. :doh:

Vettel avoids any further penalty by admitting full resposibility, agreeing to apologise publicly and doing some motorsport community service. He needs to be careful now though any further transgressions won't be treated  lightly.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10935392/sebastian-vettel-to-face-no-further-action-from-fia-for-lewis-hamilton-collision-in-azerbaijan-gp

Edited by Voicon

Hmmm, probably the fairest outcome. Bit toothless for them to keep 'investigating' then letting him get away with an apology but at the same time I didn't believe there should have been extra sanctions. Any normal race and the stop-go would have been enough to penalise vettel properly.

The blatant arrogance and disregard for others, simply blaming (an innocent) Lewis ... should have been something.

Let's see how public that apology will be - hope he gets reamered by the press - put on stage in pre-race interviews - deserves that much at least.

I've got Police Interceptors on at the moment, and they don't accept BS, so why should we all accept it from the pinnacle of motorsport?

Al.

43 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

The blatant arrogance and disregard for others, simply blaming (an innocent) Lewis ... should have been something.

Let's see how public that apology will be - hope he gets reamered by the press - put on stage in pre-race interviews - deserves that much at least.

I've got Police Interceptors on at the moment, and they don't accept BS, so why should we all accept it from the pinnacle of motorsport?

Al.

I totally agree, if it was an accident then fine but deliberately drove into another car, we saw these cars can flip at low speed this year in Monaco (button and wehrlein) so it was dangerous driving.

He's making the right noises but he did the same after the Charlie incident, let's see how he reacts the next time. I think he needs to move away from Ferrari where there seems to be too much pressure on him.

I know what everyone is saying but there needs to be some perspective. What he did wasn't that dangerous, it could have been, but wasn't. I fully believe vetel knew what he was doing when he bumped wheels. He didn't sideswipe into the body of the merc but yes it still could have caused a serious accident, but didn't. He needed a dressing down, he got that and will hopefully remember it each time he serves his community service. 

So we'll discuss it again in 12mths time when he does something childish again......... :doh:

Forza Ferrari - AGAIN!!

No blasted surprise.

He'll be up to the same and more this weekend ... can't wait.

Lewis will keep quiet again, but old-man Massa and Verstappen will have something to say I'm sure!

Here we go again.

Al