• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

1 hour ago, BenRC said:

What weight diff fluid would be best to put into outlaw front and rear diffs for general driving? TIA

I believe 30w (or 350) on the fronts and lighter on the rear, maybe 20w (or 200) or even 10w(100).

RC shock oil has some wierd grading I have never seen in motor oils before lol.

3 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

In goes a MAX10 combo…

20072401-D04D-42F5-9BAF-66716F6E9097.jpeg

Hi nice . I would say the alloy steering servo is a must on this . As I got one on mind with the brusless set up and wow the turn is fantastic.  

3 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi nice . I would say the alloy steering servo is a must on this . As I got one on mind with the brusless set up and wow the turn is fantastic.  

I have the alloy servo saver parts in stock, I’ve just not fitted them yet. 

• Like 1

So I loved the Max10 combo for about 10 minutes, blasting around on a half pack whilst waiting for my colleague to sort his Carnage out for a bit of lunchtime racy racy…

Then within a minute of putting my full pack on the car just stopped - I don’t have my temp gun on me today, it’s hot here and the motor can is hot hot hot - presumably the temp sensor has just shut it down…

…but really?  Less than 12 minutes on 2s on the stock (lowest) gear ratio and it’s overheating? 

What’s the answer though?  Motor fans?  The Outlaw body is pretty open anyway so I wouldn’t expect airflow problems. 

Volt up, gear down?  3s and smaller tyres?

With the wonky scale going on it would probably look stupid with smaller tyres though. 

Edited by walkbythesea

Just now, walkbythesea said:

What’s the answer though?  Motor fans?  The Outlaw body is pretty open anyway so I wouldn’t expect airflow problems. 

Volt up, gear down?  3s and smaller tyres?

I don't know nothing about the outlaw, a fan can help, but for what kind of speed is the car geared and how much weighs the car?

8 minutes ago, No brains said:

I don't know nothing about the outlaw, a fan can help, but for what kind of speed is the car geared and how much weighs the car?

The internet says weight of 2.2kg, Gear Ratio: 11.2:1, mine does about 30mpg on 2s - I’ve not released since fitting an HW Max 10 3300kv combo yesterday

8 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

The internet says weight of 2.2kg, Gear Ratio: 11.2:1, mine does about 30mpg on 2s - I’ve not released since fitting an HW Max 10 3300kv combo yesterday

Nothing is bind in the drivetrain maybe bad bearing ?, If not , I think if its a normal size can 3652 hobbywing motor it is a little bit on the smal side for the car with that weight, I see you can put a longer motor in there I think that your better off with a 3660 size can motor or larger if it fits.

I had the same on my ruster 4x4 the car weight 2.3 kilo and it had a castle 3652 can motor in it, that was fine for cooler weather but with warm weather it was getting on the warm side for my liking so I swapped it for a 3665 can motor.

Edited by No brains

1 minute ago, walkbythesea said:

Damn, I had asked around for advice before purchase and only fitted it last night!  😂

Thats a pita,  when I have a car that weighs more then 2 kilo I always put a larger can motor in because I know It wil get to hot especially when it is 4 wheel drive, the only car that you can get away with it is a crawler because of the low gearing.

18 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

20072401-D04D-42F5-9BAF-66716F6E9097.thumb.jpeg.fcd2dfa572b932f03d50ac5f939ffcd9.jpeg

Definitely looks like I could fit a longer can in

Yes I think a 3660 fits easy, bigger I don't know you have to measure it, if a 3665 can fit  this one I have put in my rustler 4x4  good motor and I do not break the bank  https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy-xk-3665-3190kv-brushless-inrunner.html?wrh_pdp=1

Could someone tell me how many turns the 550 brushed motor that comes with the Outlaw please....?

My new Outlaw arrives tomorrow and I've just found a unused Mtronics 14 (Turn minimum) ESC that is both waterproof and can use 2s Lipo's which I also have, so thinking of switching the ESC and to Lipo's for a bit more punch.

Cheers

Johnny

21 minutes ago, enduroexpert said:

Could someone tell me how many turns the 550 brushed motor that comes with the Outlaw please....?

My new Outlaw arrives tomorrow and I've just found a unused Mtronics 14 (Turn minimum) ESC that is both waterproof and can use 2s Lipo's which I also have, so thinking of switching the ESC and to Lipo's for a bit more punch.

Cheers

Johnny

You can use the stock ESC with 2s lipo - you’ll just need to change the Tamiya plug or use an adaptor. 

The stock motor is 17t I believe, I’ll check properly later if you still need to know, I’ve got a dead one in my scrap bucket somewhere. 

56 minutes ago, No brains said:

Yes I think a 3660 fits easy, bigger I don't know you have to measure it, if a 3665 can fit  this one I have put in my rustler 4x4  good motor and I do not break the bank  https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy-xk-3665-3190kv-brushless-inrunner.html?wrh_pdp=1

Do you know if this is available with a 3.17mm output shaft?  I don’t know if there’s a pinion compatible with my spur that will accept a 5mm shaft. 

Your in the same position i was in, no choice on gearing down, so just make your own transmission 😉
Theres no 5mm pinions for this transmission.
You wont fit in longer the can without modifications. 3652 is not 3665 the max can size is really 3655.
Put a fan on the motor not much else you can do, least its hobbywing and wont kill itself.

24 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Do you know if this is available with a 3.17mm output shaft?  I don’t know if there’s a pinion compatible with my spur that will accept a 5mm shaft. 

what mod gear is it ?

I see it is 0.6 hot racing makes then, but I do not own the car so you have to measure how much room you have for a longer can motor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/19012068649

https://www.rc-race-shop.de/en/rc-pinion-gear-m0.6-5mm/

Edited by No brains

18 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

You can use the stock ESC with 2s lipo - you’ll just need to change the Tamiya plug or use an adaptor. 

The stock motor is 17t I believe, I’ll check properly later if you still need to know, I’ve got a dead one in my scrap bucket somewhere. 

Please, if you could let me know that would be great thanks, just want to try the Mtroniks against the stock ESC to see how they compare, just want to make sure I don't cook the Mtroniks as it's a good ESC

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

This is the motor listed as spares for the Outlaw / Carnage at Modelsport

Modelsport Outlaw motor

The turn count isn't listed but the image looks like it ends in a '5'.

Make It Build It have it listed as 15T

MIBI Outlaw motor

Yup, definitely 15t

5C57E8C7-D0CB-4276-A956-CACA17069F23.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Your in the same position i was in, no choice on gearing down, so just make your own transmission 😉
Theres no 5mm pinions for this transmission.
You wont fit in longer the can without modifications. 3652 is not 3665 the max can size is really 3655.
Put a fan on the motor not much else you can do, least its hobbywing and wont kill itself.

I know a 3665 is not the size of a hobbywing 3652 motor,  I asked of a longer motors fit because that can help with the temps, it seems like a 3660 motor fit, if you read the early pages of this tread there are people that have put a 3660 motor in it so it fits.

I  was only trying to help, but  saying there is nothing you can do is not right, even 0.6 mod pinions are out there with a 5mm bore.

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

If you look at page 6 of this tread you can see a 3660 motor fits, and 0.6 mod pinion with a 5mm bore are also out there.

maybe this can help.