• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

28 minutes ago, Rubblechops said:

So far we've just ragged it around the grass in the park. At some point we'll take it to some dirt but there's not much point if it keeps breaking down.  Just need something that will work.

Are you happy with the speed of it? other than it breaking down of course, if so look at changing the motor to another 15 turn motor from another manufacturer with a 3.175mm shaft, these start of cheap at approximately £10... 

Also have you meshed the new motor with the spur gear? If you run the car with the wheels off the ground is there any excessive wearing or grinding noises? Runni g it around on grass certainly should not break it...

Edited by Steve Wharton

2 hours ago, Steve Wharton said:

Are you happy with the speed of it? other than it breaking down of course, if so look at changing the motor to another 15 turn motor from another manufacturer with a 3.175mm shaft, these start of cheap at approximately £10... 

Also have you meshed the new motor with the spur gear? If you run the car with the wheels off the ground is there any excessive wearing or grinding noises? Runni g it around on grass certainly should not break it...

Speed is fine for a beginner.

Finding it hard to find another 550 15T motor. Either the speed is different (usually 540)bor the turns a just out. Will this matter much?

7 hours ago, Rubblechops said:

Speed is fine for a beginner.

Finding it hard to find another 550 15T motor. Either the speed is different (usually 540)bor the turns a just out. Will this matter much?

You can go to a 540 motor no problem,  this is a far more common motor, also the turn count is not critical... just ensure you get the right shaft diameter and stick with the original 17t pinion... but ensure there are no nasty sounds coming from the drive gear anywhere... it is hard to diagnose the problem without actually seeing or hearing the car...  but for definate you should not break it running around on grass.

I've ordered some parts, how long did they take?

Here's a few very quick pics of mine so far, still have beadlocks to add, more Ali parts a d a few finishing touches.

20200922_183717.jpg

20200922_183729.jpg

20200922_183742.jpg

20200922_183752.jpg

20200922_183837.jpg

20200922_183852.jpg

Edited by Steve Wharton
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Love the side pipes and front bumper! Got a link to the bumper?

Yes mate, but you had to mod it and the front bumper of the outlaw, not too tricky though...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Metal-Front-Bumper-for-1-10-RC-Crawler-Car-Axial-SCX10-Traxxas-TRX4-D90-C-W2E/324250367331?epid=14035197176&hash=item4b7ed3f563:g:3TQAAOSw4i9fKVh1

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Love the side pipes and front bumper! Got a link to the bumper?

Side pipes...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Scale-RC-Body-Shell-Stainless-Steel-Twin-Dual-Exhaust-Pipe/373128170042?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Looks great @Steve Wharton, very nice touches.

Driveshaft?

If you need it to handle better then Traxxas big bores work a treat, are reatively cheap and are so smooth; night and day difference👍

Sorry, double post, see below.

Edited by Steve Wharton

2 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Looks great @Steve Wharton, very nice touches.

Driveshaft?

If you need it to handle better then Traxxas big bores work a treat, are reatively cheap and are so smooth; night and day difference👍

@DartmoorTrails, thanks for the comment👍

The driveshaft was a cheap Chinese item ordered off ebay for £7.99 delivered within 2 weeks, no problems so far, I just ensured I used Loctite 243 to thread lock the grub screws... I can't get to the link right now, but I can send later if you want it?

Do you have a link to the traxxis items? thanks.

Steve.

Edited by Steve Wharton

4 hours ago, Steve Wharton said:

@DartmoorTrails, thanks for the comment👍

The driveshaft was a cheap Chinese item ordered off ebay for £7.99 delivered within 2 weeks, no problems so far, I just ensured I used Loctite 243 to thread lock the grub screws... I can't get to the link right now, but I can send later if you want it?

Do you have a link to the traxxis items? thanks.

Steve.

Pretty sure it's these Steve; i'll measure tonight and let you know for sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Rustler-Slash-XL-5-VXL-Complete-set-Ultra-Shocks-Front-Rear-w-screws/283307294444?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

I was wrong, those are 90mm and 100mm I think.
I used #5862 in mine which are 85mm on the front and 100mm in the rear.
I made a small plate for the rear and the fronts were perfect fit.
Two pictures so you can see the ride height with the #5862 shocks.67f4a181d23a85ff438f01d7b8769e93.jpgc0fed3027c140ad79b18bb2a696009c3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, received a replacement FTX motor (third motor now).  Before plumbing it in though I ordered a Hobbywing Heatsink fan.  Had to adjust (cut) the size to fit (lopped off about 7 fins so it was semi-circular.  All fitted and great.  Plugged in the fan to the Rx.  No life.  Dismounted the fan and it starts.  I can only conclude that the magnet in the drive motor is too bloody strong to let the fan operate.  How do peeps get around this problem?  Not really wanting to fry yet another motor after 30 minutes.

Just now, Rubblechops said:

Well, received a replacement FTX motor (third motor now).  Before plumbing it in though I ordered a Hobbywing Heatsink fan.  Had to adjust (cut) the size to fit (lopped off about 7 fins so it was semi-circular.  All fitted and great.  Plugged in the fan to the Rx.  No life.  Dismounted the fan and it starts.  I can only conclude that the magnet in the drive motor is too bloody strong to let the fan operate.  How do peeps get around this problem?  Not really wanting to fry yet another motor after 30 minutes.

I've never run a fan on a motor before so can't help there sorry.

Perhaps get a temperature probe and check after 10 mins?