• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

What's people running tyre wise other than the stock ones ? nothing wrong with the stock ones but the ballooning of the tyres make it unnecessary difficult handling wise so have been looking for a another set of wheels I know that John and a couple of you run them them beadlock's and tyres he posted but are quite expensive well for me anyway who wants to keep the cost down and fun up [emoji4] was looking at some cheap short course truck wheels or something along them lines just something that won't balloon like the stock tyres any thoughts ? 
I'm running proline badland mx28s on f11 wheels there expensive I'm not sure of the offset but the extra width helps it stay upright

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jackathon said:

I'm running proline badland mx28s on f11 wheels there expensive I'm not sure of the offset but the extra width helps it stay upright

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Anything with the word proline I think £££ so not an option for me :lol: 

8 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Anything with the word proline I think £££ so not an option for me :lol: 

yeah they're £33 a pair, but allot of Ebay sellers make tyres that are essentially replicas especially Proline trenchers they probably wont last as long but they are the same tread pattern so they will probably be just as good for traction

12 minutes ago, Jackathon said:

yeah they're £33 a pair, but allot of Ebay sellers make tyres that are essentially replicas especially Proline trenchers they probably wont last as long but they are the same tread pattern so they will probably be just as good for traction

I'm just looking for tyres that'll not balloon so many to choose from :@.@: 

11 hours ago, NOFX said:

Have you considered gorilla taping em ?  I've done a couple of sets. It worked wonders :D.

I've heard about this that's were you tape the inside of the tyres right ? I could do I suppose but then I've the fun of getting the tyres off the wheels :rolleyes: 

Yeah. I use acetone to get the tyres off.  Have a look on YouTube.  Thoroughly clean the inside of the tyre. Do a spot test on a wheel. I left some soaking overnight & they turned to snot :boredlook:. Put a couple of layers of tape on. Put the tyres & foams back on. Reglue.  Sorted:D. & another plus, you've still got a load of gorilla tape left. I used it to hold the sunroofs in my legacy after the mechanisms broke .

Edited by NOFX
Forgot something

1 hour ago, NOFX said:

Yeah. I use acetone to get the tyres off.  Have a look on YouTube.  Thoroughly clean the inside of the tyre. Do a spot test on a wheel. I left some soaking overnight & they turned to snot :boredlook:. Put a couple of layers of tape on. Put the tyres & foams back on. Reglue.  Sorted:D. & another plus, you've still got a load of gorilla tape left. I used it to hold the sunroofs in my legacy after the mechanisms broke .

You say you left it overnight and it turned to snot I asume your talking about the rim not the tyre ? if so not really bothered about that can get a cheap set of beadlock's as the last time I tried glueing tyres it went very wrong :whistling:

Edited by RC4WD fan

Yeah the wheels. If you glue the tyres. Do spots of glue at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock 6 o'clock nine o'clock.  Then  1 , 4, 7 10 o'clock.Then a thin dribble between the tyre & rim while holding the tyre away from the rim. Pound shop super glue"s fine. You're not gonna be doing speed runs with an outlaw:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, NOFX said:

Yeah the wheels. If you glue the tyres. Do spots of glue at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock 6 o'clock nine o'clock.  Then  1 , 4, 7 10 o'clock.Then a thin dribble between the tyre & rim while holding the tyre away from the rim. Pound shop super glue"s fine. You're not gonna be doing speed runs with an outlaw:rolleyes:

I'll go to my lhs and get tyre glue it's closer than the town :D where can I get acetone from or can I use nail polish remover as it has acetone in it ? 

Nail polish remover works. Just have a read of the ingredients.  Some of it is acetone free now. You can buy pure acetone by the gallon off the net really cheap.  

13 minutes ago, NOFX said:

Nail polish remover works. Just have a read of the ingredients.  Some of it is acetone free now. You can buy pure acetone by the gallon off the net really cheap.  

Ok :) didn't think you can buy chemicals like that online though :017:

I've been wondering if these cheaper beadlocks are any good or if they'll just break right away or something: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292495232742

You can get decent 1.9" beadlock wheels with tires for under £20 from eBay, but the 2.2" ones are trickier. Cheapest 2.2" combo I've spotted so far is https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-RC-2-2-Rock-Crawler-Tires-2-2-Beadlock-Wheel-For-1-10-RC-4WD-Axial-Crawler-/282619893497 but I don't know how good the tires are... or the wheels for that matter.

18 minutes ago, tvih said:

I've been wondering if these cheaper beadlocks are any good or if they'll just break right away or something: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292495232742

You can get decent 1.9" beadlock wheels with tires for under £20 from eBay, but the 2.2" ones are trickier. Cheapest 2.2" combo I've spotted so far is https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-RC-2-2-Rock-Crawler-Tires-2-2-Beadlock-Wheel-For-1-10-RC-4WD-Axial-Crawler-/282619893497 but I don't know how good the tires are... or the wheels for that matter.

I've actually looked at both these you've posted and wondered the same thing the first ones might be worth trying its only £15 not £30/40 so won't hurt if there crap :yes: I have got the stock tyres off now :) so I'm going to do the tape thing so just looking for the wheels but don't know whether to go plastic or aluminium ? yes aluminium is stronger and all that but more expensive  I am looking at the gmade gt02's as mentioned above 

Well, as it happens since I bought the Gmade GOM the GT02 wheels are exactly what come as stock with it. They seem fine but of course I've only had a short test drive with them so far since it's so wet outside with all the snow and above-freezing temperatures. I do have some concerns about the wheel durability, mainly because it feels like it's easy to overtighten and "crush" the plastic between screw and nut. Especially being a beadlock-newbie (the only ones I have are from the GOM and Komodo) it's hard to know when to stop. That's one thing where the aluminum beadlocks would be at least somewhat "safer", but as you say, they do cost an arm and a leg. The wheels will certainly be fine for this first use, but hard to say about repeated uses if I've overtightened them.

9 hours ago, tvih said:

Well, as it happens since I bought the Gmade GOM the GT02 wheels are exactly what come as stock with it. They seem fine but of course I've only had a short test drive with them so far since it's so wet outside with all the snow and above-freezing temperatures. I do have some concerns about the wheel durability, mainly because it feels like it's easy to overtighten and "crush" the plastic between screw and nut. Especially being a beadlock-newbie (the only ones I have are from the GOM and Komodo) it's hard to know when to stop. That's one thing where the aluminum beadlocks would be at least somewhat "safer", but as you say, they do cost an arm and a leg. The wheels will certainly be fine for this first use, but hard to say about repeated uses if I've overtightened them.

I've had a couple of 1.9 gmade NR01's and have been great never felt like I was going to overtighten them but might be different with the gt02's ? I have been looking at these as well from Axial https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axial-2-2-Trail-Ready-HD-Series-Beadlock-w-Slim-Ring-IFD-Wheels-BLACK-Wraith/131878251987?hash=item1eb48e6dd3:g:i8sAAOxyOmBSKYib 

The 1.9 NR02 stock wheels on the Komodo actually were easy to tell when they were properly tightened - or so it seemed at least - but the 2.2 GT02 wheels kinda felt like you could keep on tightening them forever. I'm really not sure if they're overtightened or not but at least the tires seem to stay secure for now, will see how it goes once I get to grippier surfaces than porous ice & snow. Regardless, price aside the beadlocks sure are nicer than messing around with tire glue. Glues of all kinds tend to be my mortal enemies, I always make a mess of it and/or glue my fingers -_- 

Too bad I can't use beadlocks on my racers, not sure for which of my cars beadlocks are even available (some for SCTs at least) but it is my understanding that they don't hold up so well in racing conditions. Although I imagine it would depend on the traction levels. Outdoor tracks aren't so grippy here so I guess it MIGHT work. I suppose I could look into it once my current batch of outdoor tires is expended.

Edited by tvih

Took the outlaw out with the misses & little un.  Had some pretty full on crashes at about 25 mph & only broke the body post I'd fixed myself. Not bad for a 125 quid truck :D

• Like 1

Does anyone have any issues with the ‘e’ clip on the servo? Mine won’t stay on which is making the steering vague. Can I just put washers on between the top deck and the spring to compress it a bit?

15 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Does anyone have any issues with the ‘e’ clip on the servo? Mine won’t stay on which is making the steering vague. Can I just put washers on between the top deck and the spring to compress it a bit?

E clip on the servo :017: unless you mean the big one of the 2 posts ( don't know what part of the steering it's called ) that are on the chassis ? I don't know the answer but no harm in trying I suppose I've noticed quite a bit of play in mine I'm going to have a mess about with mine tonight and see if I can take some of the play out 

5 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

You can see the one I mean in the Modelsport site. Steering is ok but clearly more sloppy without it.

I phoned Modelsport earlier and they said using a washer sounded like a good idea and saw no reason why it couldn’t be used.

That's the bit I was on about :yes: as you said try the washer :good: