• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

22 minutes ago, Ollykamakazi said:

So Chassis has arrived.

Any tips on swapping it over?

If you've done it to any other RC than there is nothing really very stright forward if this is your first time doing it then just do one bit at a time so you know where to put it back and don't lose anything :good: 

Edited by RC4WD fan

42 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Anyone?

Missed your post :doh: tyres yes look the same as the ones I've got the wheels might fit I had to grind some off the hex's on the axial wheels I've got as the stock hex's on the outlaw are only 4mm thick so worst case is y'all need to get some new hex's aswell 

Missed your post :doh: tyres yes look the same as the ones I've got the wheels might fit I had to grind some off the hex's on the axial wheels I've got as the stock hex's on the outlaw are only 4mm thick so worst case is y'all need to get some new hex's aswell 
I think the shaft length is too short to add a wider hex. The amount of thread left may be too little to get a nut on sufficiently.
I've ordered the shortest extensions I could find off eBay (12mm) to try and workaround the issue! Hopefully they'll work ok so I can use any wheels and not just ultra narrow hex types!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

I think the shaft length is too short to add a wider hex. The amount of thread left may be too little to get a nut on sufficiently.
I've ordered the shortest extensions I could find off eBay (12mm) to try and workaround the issue! Hopefully they'll work ok so I can use any wheels and not just ultra narrow hex types!

I know what you mean :yes:  that was the biggest problem I had when looking for new wheels for mine I worked it out that I could run a 7mm thick hex for the axial wheels I've got but I would have to put the stock wheel nut on backwards it would work but opted to narrow the hubs in the wheels instead and put a flanged lock nut on that should of been there to begin with :rolleyes:

Low profile wheel nut?  going to fit some to mine as with the aftermarket rims I lost 3 (found 2) last run out.
I couldn't find any thin enough with nyloc... Nervous having a thin nut on without nyloc given surface area but I could be too paranoid perhaps! Obviously would put threadlock on anyway so would that sufficient do you think?

On 07/06/2018 at 11:14, RC4WD fan said:

If you've done it to any other RC than there is nothing really very stright forward if this is your first time doing it then just do one bit at a time so you know where to put it back and don't lose anything :good: 

Thanks guys. 

Took 20 mins tops. 

Did it very unconventionally , I’m sure. 

Took off back half. 

Flipped ot over. 

Undid chadsis from underside. 

Removed bolts to servos. Then retainers from above. 

Chucked old away and reversed the process. 

Changed out suspension arm too which I hadn’t got round to. 

Hope it runs properly. 

78F3301D-5074-4DE2-B680-11A8E93ABD0E.jpeg

2A1BA886-1777-4C72-B651-FCE9649FD762.jpeg

F8D47B5D-BE3D-4EE6-B799-A9F73184CB1E.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

I couldn't find any thin enough with nyloc... Nervous having a thin nut on without nyloc given surface area but I could be too paranoid perhaps! Obviously would put threadlock on anyway so would that sufficient do you think?

We use plain, and plain serrated nuts on 1/8 set ups with no major problems - just nipped up tight.  Some set ups require threadlock - unless you need to change wheels mid 'run' it's no big deal.

1 hour ago, Bigjimknickers said:

I bought a set of serrated flanged nuts, the dam things STILL come off & I crank them right up!

Realtively big and grippy wheels possibly the cause?  Only other RC I have that insists on doing the same is the Hyper MTe - huge torque and massive wheels - since v1.5 though it has locking nuts where a M5 screw goes through the cap and threads into the inside of the axle.  Rarely (but not never) lose one now.  Looks like either sticking with cheap locking nuts and expecting to replace them or see how threadlock helps.

7 hours ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Thanks guys. 

Took 20 mins tops. 

Did it very unconventionally , I’m sure. 

Took off back half. 

Flipped ot over. 

Undid chadsis from underside. 

Removed bolts to servos. Then retainers from above. 

Chucked old away and reversed the process. 

Changed out suspension arm too which I hadn’t got round to. 

Hope it runs properly. 

78F3301D-5074-4DE2-B680-11A8E93ABD0E.jpeg

2A1BA886-1777-4C72-B651-FCE9649FD762.jpeg

F8D47B5D-BE3D-4EE6-B799-A9F73184CB1E.jpeg

That's one way to do it :) are you only running one aluminium front lower arm ?

On 09/05/2018 at 20:10, AmericanBullDog said:

5af338039cf31_100_18111.thumb.JPG.122db87458a014ce17af934fd9ef6c55.JPG

After breaking the mounting point off of the top of my axle housing I made up this axle truss from aluminum.

Normally an axle truss keeps the axle housing from flexing and breaking but I didn't have that problem, I needed a stronger mounting point for the links after seeing how easily the plastic mounts broke off the axle housing from tumbling down a hill.  

This truss gives me a stronger mount for the links and also raises the link mount up higher from the center line of the axle for a good bit of anti-squat in the 4 link geometry.

Plus a big ol' slab of aluminum looks cool on top of the axle  ?

100_1864[1].JPG

• Like 3

A while after fitting the 120a esc in the outlaw, I took it for a test up the garden. My God! What a difference! I see major damage on the horizon. ?. Gonna take it for a proper run on the common later with the family  .

20 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Started my own panels after destroying the stock body with very poor landings ?
Try as I might I cannot get a really nice edge.
Anyone know of a cutting service I can send blueprints off to?

Damn shiny emoji12.png869dca976338b73ee85f4d785d334162.jpgb82b455df4ed14ed91f1017889c4a8a3.jpge5dba2fb33eab22834f0b37b67dc141b.jpgb8177114f731f4882f13e2ea76341028.jpg75578de01308efffe77c757909f6c19e.jpg

When I made alu panels for the crap ftxviper, I used a steel ruler & Stanley knife to scribe really deep into the alu sheet. Then used heavy duty scissors to cut along the lines . I then hammered the alu sheet flat. 

When I made alu panels for the crap ftxviper, I used a steel ruler & Stanley knife to scribe really deep into the alu sheet. Then used heavy duty scissors to cut along the lines . I then hammered the alu sheet flat. 
I did the same but then used tin snips to finish it off. I'd love to get pro looking panels for this thing.

1 hour ago, NOFX said:

A while after fitting the 120a esc in the outlaw, I took it for a test up the garden. My God! What a difference! I see major damage on the horizon. ?. Gonna take it for a proper run on the common later with the family  .

At least you have used yours mine is in bits was going to sort out the bent sharft and go out today but things got in the way 

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Started my own panels after destroying the stock body with very poor landings ?
Try as I might I cannot get a really nice edge.
Anyone know of a cutting service I can send blueprints off to?

Damn shiny emoji12.png869dca976338b73ee85f4d785d334162.jpgb82b455df4ed14ed91f1017889c4a8a3.jpge5dba2fb33eab22834f0b37b67dc141b.jpgb8177114f731f4882f13e2ea76341028.jpg75578de01308efffe77c757909f6c19e.jpg

That looks bloody good :yes: I might venture in having a go with aluminium panels at some point so will see how my plastic ones get on first

Edited by RC4WD fan
  • Like 1

For clean smooth edges on aluminum sheet I over cut by just a hair and sand them back with emery cloth backed by a wood block. If you sand a round channel into the backer block you end up with a nice round over on the finished edge of your aluminum. 

I like how your hood panel looks, DartmoorTrails.  

Thanks guys, always wanted to do my own panels so it's nice to finally get on with it!
Top tip on the emery and backing, will try that for sure and also some different thickness panels as .7mm seems quite thick and possibly overkill...?
Got one side panel finished tonight and the Rioja is now calling so tools down!
Not doing the roof till I get a light bar sorted,. leaning towards one from the Losi Night Crawler and hang it off an overhang from the roof, similar to how they do it on the Rock Rey.b3dd4ec23126f640a2fb288c59f7a832.jpg8085c4c70d6cfffc5bd196c2e8564821.jpgf51beeeb432a7f8f319ea10f62b6dfeb.jpg9533ed3ada45902cee69cd802e3c8f8e.jpg97d71ec48751387d3ef55281ef7b5dd3.jpg

• Like 1

I had a go at making panels from quite thin aluminum and I just don't like how they turned out. Very easy to cut but just flimsy at the corners and dinged too easily for my likes.

I think .7mm sounds about right. I will check my local shops for that thickness and see how it works for me on my replacement panels.