• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Patched up the light, trimmed a bit tread off every 4th inner and outer block and been out for a jolly good climb. Working great and very grippy, drag brake seems a little iffy now tho at first when going forwards on the hobbywing 1060, reverse still stopping on neutral 

1 hour ago, mamodman said:

Glad you got light sorted and had a day out, wonder what's wrong with the drag break

It used to be instant on neutral and now maybe 1-2 seconds then drag, reverse still spot on, hopefully it just has a little flu and its all good after a rest lol

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 23:24, Wabom1981 said:

Apologies to those that have seen these pictures already in the Facebook group. 

Ive completed the upgraded metal steering linkage!!

works a treat, don't think I'll be snapping or bending these bad boys!!IMG_6588.thumb.JPG.6bc2be83ff7ba0ce09cba2bbbad3079e.JPGIMG_6589.thumb.JPG.251dcef251dc88812f39c9add1fbfd4b.JPGIMG_6590.thumb.JPG.94db63698923f998d78e2c67429d3851.JPG

Great job. 

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the outback tipping over all the time? Mine has got a spare wheel on the bonnet and a metal roof rack. I know this is the issue. The body is cracked too so I have ordered a green one as a spare. 

I do recall it tipping over a lot as standard anyway. Does anyone know if the Scx10's and trx4s do this too? 

Its getting to the point where I am trying to climb really technical stuff and it keeps just going over and getting frustrating. Wasn't sure whether investment in a better heavier crawler would help. 

Hey @TerryV34 tipping over was one of my main issues with the outback, two things made a difference for me, first was fitting my rc4wd wheels and adding weight inside of them (100g including weight of wheel and tyre per corner) and the second was relocating the shocks to the outside of the chassis rails. 

What really doesn't help is that the bodies sit so high on those posts, a lot of weight trying to pull the truck over. 

The taxxas and the axial are much bigger ticket rigs and I'm my opinion better designed and tested, I have seen them roll but they can be pushed further before they go. (Will be putting the outback up against some on the 22nd)

my outback has given me the bug for crawling and Is now far more capable than when I got it. But that said I think I'll be moving onto a new truck the end of the month once the one I've got my eye on gets released. 

• Like 1

@Wabom1981 cheers for the reply. I haven't done the shock mod but I have added wheel weights. 

I would be so interested to see how yours stacks up against the scx10. 

I also want a better crawler but sadly funds are not available at the mo. 

15 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

But that said I think I'll be moving onto a new truck the end of the month once the one I've got my eye on gets released. 

Can I be nosey and ask which one are you going for ?

43 minutes ago, Geehawk said:

Even though I have been too busy with other stuff to use any of my 3 current RCs for many months now, I really do fancy that Carisma. Probably hold out for the kit version.

I too fancy the kit version, it should have some upgrades over the RTR which will be interesting to see, I'm thinking maybe a chassis mounted steering servo???

trouble is I'm an impatient RC addict so I'm probably going to get the RTR and modify over time, make improvements as I need to. Might even be the first rig I fit a winch to. 

1 hour ago, Wabom1981 said:

I too fancy the kit version, it should have some upgrades over the RTR which will be interesting to see, I'm thinking maybe a chassis mounted steering servo???

trouble is I'm an impatient RC addict so I'm probably going to get the RTR and modify over time, make improvements as I need to. Might even be the first rig I fit a winch to. 

Having bought a Barrage and not used it much and now an improved kit version is arriving I think this time I will be patient .... unless, maybe, Christmas arrives before the Carisma kit version!

Got myself some functional towing apparatus fitted to the outbrat tonight in preparation for the scale event I'm attending on the 22nd. 

My body is held on with fairly strong magnets but didn't want attach anything to that, so I've looped the ring ends of the ropes around the chassis link bars! Should work ok?

you never know, I might have to give someone a tow!!!

looks quite happy with itself from the rear!!

IMG_6626.thumb.JPG.848e1620f63dbda6a1bde9103f9d8e4d.JPGIMG_6627.thumb.JPG.3cfbbdd3f4332f80828509d7cb5986d1.JPG

Edited by Wabom1981
  • Like 1

I was watching some YouTube films from the scale nationals over the weekend and it looks like they have different classes based on wheel and tyre size, they then have specific courses for those classes. Which is a smart idea. 

This jolly I'm going on is just a fun day out with the view to maybe make it a little more competition based in the future. 

The chap who's organised the day has been asking us all to vote on what we would like to do, so far the majority has chosen a gated trial section and a trek around the site in convoy. Really can't wait, and can't wait to see other people's trucks.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

I was watching some YouTube films from the scale nationals over the weekend and it looks like they have different classes based on wheel and tyre size, they then have specific courses for those classes. Which is a smart idea. 

This jolly I'm going on is just a fun day out with the view to maybe make it a little more competition based in the future. 

The chap who's organised the day has been asking us all to vote on what we would like to do, so far the majority has chosen a gated trial section and a trek around the site in convoy. Really can't wait, and can't wait to see other people's trucks.  

You'll have to pop up a link to the videos you've been watching. I had a quite nose lastnight on YouTube but couldn't find anything in the uk.. What area are you going to?