• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

That is one beautiful shell, I'll send you my address and you can send it to me to try out, always open to pressies :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: seriously though you've done cracking job opn it,

Absolutely loved painting it.

I come from a garage kit (large scale figure painting) background, so its where I'm comfortable - as soon as it gets technical or electrical, I'm lost.

The only mods done are the axle widening and removing some of the rubber tubing from the shocks.

Oh, and the meccanno skid plate under the front axle/servo :-)

I'm a Jeep man at heart, so the shell might be coming off if the Jeep shell I've ordered from China can be made to fit.

2nd Outback just ordered for my son. Time for some Dad n Lad backyard crawling adventures :-)

Hi all, has anyone had a case of wobbly body after fitting a luggage rack to their outback and has anyone found a solution? Thicker shock oils maybe? I was thinking of attaching stick on alloy wheel weights to the lower inner sills of the body to try and bring the centre of gravity back down again. Also toying with the idea of chopping the light mount off the front of the luggage rack to reduce its weight. Just wanted to put this out there any ideas/advice welcome. Thanks. 

Edited by Wabom1981

Hi Wacom, I've just stuck with the plain shell, any added weight will hang on the four body posts. If you're going to add weights to the shell, that extra weight would still feed back to the body posts, making it tilt. To keep the lower C of G I've fitted steel wheels, unreal difference! I even bought the spare wheel originally when I bought the Ranger last year, typify the Land Rover look but decided not to fit it in the end as it would incur the dreaded body roll with more weight higher than the base of the posts. 

Must say though, yours look great! I would like to do that sort of thing but don't think it'd cope that well on the terrain I use it. As for the shocks, mines running 35wt all round, seems supple enough when crawling around.

Thanks for your reply t2boats and your appreciation of my works so far.

I thought the body posts may be a part of the problem especially given the length of the rear pair!! I've taken quite a fancy to getting a pickup body at some point in the future so that may help I guess. I'm soon to fit a hobbywing 1060 esc so will have a drag brake to help control things a little better. Just out of interest what steel wheels did you go for and what size? Would love to get some white steels similar to the old weller wheels. 

• Like 1

I think I put them up on this thread I think a little while back?! They're off eBay anyway, they're split rims too. The inner (larger rim) is steel, and the outer is ali. Yeah any weight which is added to the shell will attribute to the lean of the body, it all has to hinge somewhere and on rc's it'll be the body posts, the longer the posts the more effect it'll have too. 

I'll have a look on eBay for them and put up the link, or give you an item number anyway (not very good at this linking lark!)

I like the look of the pickup truck, John and Sugg have done brilliant examples! 

Hope these links work Wabom,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182448635029 

These are the alloy wheels I bought a while back but fitted FTX stock tyres, I like the stock tyres, performed very well.

And these ones are the heavier wheels - though I got them a lot cheaper than what they are here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391646484763 

(Had a few problems in the past with these links in that they don't work, wondering if it's something to do with that I'm using my phone to add them using the mobile eBay ap, not the PC website of eBay)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, can anyone recommend a suitable 14t pinion for the standard 370 motor and where to purchase such beast? 

Having a little trouble finding one and getting confused about mod 0.5s and 0.6s???

any help is much appreciated

thanks

Adam. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a set of these for my sons soon-to-be birthday present (Outback Tundra)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201947774148 

For those looking to extend the track of their Outback, rather than having to spend more money on wider driveshafts to go along with the FTX wide axle extenders, all you'll need is these above.. they screw directly to the existing stub axles.

surprise surprise the link doesn't work again... I'm using the eBay ap on my phone so that's possibly why?!

Search for "12mm Extension Hub Hex Wheels Alloy Adapter" and you should see them. They're £4.99 for a set.

4 hours ago, t2boats said:

Just ordered a set of these for my sons soon-to-be birthday present (Outback Tundra)..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201947774148 

For those looking to extend the track of their Outback, rather than having to spend more money on wider driveshafts to go along with the FTX wide axle extenders, all you'll need is these above.. they screw directly to the existing stub axles.

Umm. I have a set of those bought for a different application.

But on checking they are actually narrower than the extenders fitted originally to the FTX, so will actually make the track narrower as you have to remove the original items to fit them.

Or am I missing something?? Perhaps I'm finding the wrong item on Ebay?

4 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Umm. I have a set of those bought for a different application.

But on checking they are actually narrower than the extenders fitted originally to the FTX, so will actually make the track narrower as you have to remove the original items to fit them.

Or am I missing something?? Perhaps I'm finding the wrong item on Ebay?

I was wondering this....?! I'm away working so can't measure the stock stub hex's. These are 20mm, as you say they could be less than stock. I bought the FTX wider hex's for mine some time ago, forgotten what size they are now but it gave an extra 5mm track either side. Wondering if these are somewhere in that region?!

Just had another look and there are 25 and 30mm kits available too!

edit: just picked a set of black 25mm extension pieces, should go well with the deeper dish wheels I'll be fitting to his Tundra.

Edited by t2boats

• 3 weeks later...

Been sorting out my sons Tundra this morning, discovered the original set of extension pieces I bought, then thinking they were the same size so possibly a pointless purchase, infact are 5mm longer than the stock extensions. So it's worked out well in the end. Still waiting for the 25mm pieces to arrive but will stick with these for his Tundra now as it's also having deep dish steel wheels same as mine. Will post up a pic later on when finished.

IMG_2268.JPG

Quick update - just noticed the extension pieces can't be fitted on the model, unless I modify the following. Shame it involves a bit of work..

The centre hole in the wheels need to be drilled out to suit the diameter of the new wheel bolt. (5mm)

I can fit the new extension piece on but the new wheel bolt only goes down so far as it runs out of thread on the stock stub axle. The only way around it is to cut down the bolt making it shorter. I'll have to see if it's thread goes all the up it's inside first..

IMG_2269.JPG

Edit - yep, the thread goes all the way down inside, so it can be trimmed.

Edited by t2boats